Time to move on

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Time to move on

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:03 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:24 pm Gents,

We won the game and got the three points but the reality is we haven't done anything other than put together a great 45 mins performance that we haven't seen in years (well the SLeone game had a great first half too).

We need to stop patting ourselves on the back and move on.

Sudan will be very tough and Guinea Bissau even harder. Now is not the time to rest on our laurels. Coach Egu already posted his celebration on IG. I would hope he too is not getting carried away.
Us? fans? or you mean the players? Because whatever we (fans) do. Whether we move on or we refuse to move on and continue to twerk from now till 2066, it will have ZERO EFFECT ON HOW THE TEAM PERFORMS! ZERO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Often wonder why people do not like fans to enjoy anything, when it has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the team's performance. So, we should move on? when are we to enjoy our team? Are we supposed to continue to postpone excitement and happiness?
oboy the thing weak me oo, I wonder where ugbowo want us wey dey siddon in front of laptop dey post to move to? chei // we are fans, and all we can do is run our mouths on the internet.. the players and coaches are professionals
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

listen to our ghana bredas, instead of losing sleep about moving on... abeg go and find UHAUL

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:16 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 pm
txj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:04 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:31 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:28 pm 45 minutes ?

Come on. This match was dominant from start to finish, other than perhaps the last 10 minutes.

I have not seen us dominate an opponent of this quality for a long time. We manhandled them. Finishing and final decisions need to improve though.

On to the next match.
45 mins we hardly put a foot wrong and completely dominated. In the second half we gave up possession too easily with harried clearances and invited pressure. Egypt's formation and personnel changes threated us for a minute but not so much. The second half was not as crisp as the first. Great victory regardless but we need to shut it down and move on.

We didn't come to afcon just to beat Egypt.

The 2hf was expected as we would not be expected to keep the same intensity, but could've and should've managed the game more efficiently.

Lots of opportunities with better control to have severely punished Egypt...
A second goal would have killed them off and may have led to a third or fourth.

But the first half was job well done albeit helped by a cagey clueless at times, Egyptian team.
Ugbowo

It was not that Egypt was clueless. The reality is that they were outfoxed. In my view,. after watching Nigeria, Egypt did have a good plan but were definitely surprised. I believe with Salah's pace centrally against two central defenders that are challenged by pace, Egypt had a plan and it required getting the ball to Salah to run against the slow-footed central defenders. IT DID NOT WORK. It didn't work simply because not only did Nigerian attackers harass Egypt's back four preventing them from launching balls for Salah to run onto but also cut off the passing lanes by challenging every ball in the middle. Bottomline, Egypt had a plan but they were outfoxed.
I am actually in agreement with you. Their cluelessness was as a result of their one track plan not working. We maintained a lot of discipline and timed our pressing and counter pressing to perfection at times in the first half. But Egypt also gave us so much respect off the ball. I was actually in shock in how much time our centerbacks were given and how much space Kelechi was getting in receiving the ball and turning to run at goal. They backed off us in the first half no doubt. I think Queiroz showed us too much respect and we punished them.

Be that as it may, Sudan will be a different cup of tea. Beating Egypt does not guarantee three points against them. The technical crew should not rest as if the biggest challenge is over. It is just starting.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:16 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 pm
txj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:04 pm

Come on. This match was dominant from start to finish, other than perhaps the last 10 minutes.

I have not seen us dominate an opponent of this quality for a long time. We manhandled them. Finishing and final decisions need to improve though.

On to the next match.
45 mins we hardly put a foot wrong and completely dominated. In the second half we gave up possession too easily with harried clearances and invited pressure. Egypt's formation and personnel changes threated us for a minute but not so much. The second half was not as crisp as the first. Great victory regardless but we need to shut it down and move on.

The 2hf was expected as we would not be expected to keep the same intensity, but could've and should've managed the game more efficiently.

Lots of opportunities with better control to have severely punished Egypt...
A second goal would have killed them off and may have led to a third or fourth.

But the first half was job well done albeit helped by a cagey clueless at times, Egyptian team.
Ugbowo

It was not that Egypt was clueless. The reality is that they were outfoxed. In my view,. after watching Nigeria, Egypt did have a good plan but were definitely surprised. I believe with Salah's pace centrally against two central defenders that are challenged by pace, Egypt had a plan and it required getting the ball to Salah to run against the slow-footed central defenders. IT DID NOT WORK. It didn't work simply because not only did Nigerian attackers harass Egypt's back four preventing them from launching balls for Salah to run onto but also cut off the passing lanes by challenging every ball in the middle. Bottomline, Egypt had a plan but they were outfoxed.

They had a plan alright. But I thought it was very elementary, one dimensional and yes, Nigeria did not let it work. And I agree, showed us too much respect...

The key thing for me was the trigger for the press and the discipline of the CMs, cus that's what Egypt was waiting for to spring Salah. Then the counterpress meant that opportunity for an Egyptian counter was very limited...
Last edited by txj on Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

nanijoe wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 pm Ok..so should we all start practicing free-kicks at home abi what do you suggest as we move on?
Ugbowo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:35 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:32 pm

We won the game and got the three points but the reality is we haven't done anything other than put together a great 45 mins performance that we haven't seen in years (well the SLeone game had a great first half too).

Sudan will be very tough and Guinea Bissau even harder. Now is not the time to rest on our laurels. Coach Egu already posted his celebration on IG. I would hope he too is not getting carried away.
Abeg relax... We as fans are in high spirits over a well earned victory because WE ARE FANS and its what we do. That doesn't mean we over the moon about anything just yet, I believe the players and coaching staffs are professionals and know enough that the battle is far from been won as they gear up for the next challenge
Sorry, it's coming from my coaching mind set. I've seen over celebrations derail teams. We need to act like this is business as usual.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

We’re not the team. We’re fans. We don’t need to move on. Heck, we still party over Nigeria 3: Bulgaria 0. Move on to where???

Biko, leave us ojere
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle....

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :clap: :clap: Dis 1naija you be case!
1naija wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 am Uncle....

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

KPOM.. borrowing from Kobe's lines.. the job is not finished yet.. I would like to remind naija fans about how carried away we were with our success during the group stage of the 1998 WC that we began to look beyond our next round opponents Denmark.. The Danes whopped us 4-1 and that was the end of our WC dreams.

Abeg relax... We as fans are in high spirits over a well earned victory because WE ARE FANS and its what we do. That doesn't mean we over the moon about anything just yet, I believe the players and coaching staffs are professionals and know enough that the battle is far from been won as they gear up for the next challenge
Sorry, it's coming from my coaching mind set. I've seen over celebrations derail teams. We need to act like this is business as usual.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And if the fans were sad and didn't get carried away, the Danes would not have won? Abegi!
gurrano wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:41 am KPOM.. borrowing from Kobe's lines.. the job is not finished yet.. I would like to remind naija fans about how carried away we were with our success during the group stage of the 1998 WC that we began to look beyond our next round opponents Denmark.. The Danes whopped us 4-1 and that was the end of our WC dreams.

Last edited by 1naija on Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 pm

On to the next match.

I agree with the bolded, but it wasn't the entire 2nd half. More like the last 15 minutes.
Mr. Glass-Half-Empty, abeg enjoy the sweet victory ojare😃😃😃❗️

Cheers.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 pm

On to the next match.

I agree with the bolded, but it wasn't the entire 2nd half. More like the last 15 minutes.
We gave up more possession in the second half because Okoye for some reason opted to blasting the ball out into the field each time, he didn’t do that in the first half.
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Real talk. I completely get where you're coming from.It also sends a message to all those other yeye teams that the Egypt win was no big deal. :D
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 pm

Us? fans? or you mean the players? Because whatever we (fans) do. Whether we move on or we refuse to move on and continue to twerk from now till 2066, it will have ZERO EFFECT ON HOW THE TEAM PERFORMS! ZERO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Often wonder why people do not like fans to enjoy anything, when it has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the team's performance. So, we should move on? when are we to enjoy our team? Are we supposed to continue to postpone excitement and happiness?
oboy the thing weak me oo, I wonder where ugbowo want us wey dey siddon in front of laptop dey post to move to? chei // we are fans, and all we can do is run our mouths on the internet.. the players and coaches are professionals
I thought someone suggested we practice free kicks at home…. I have started….

We cannot rest on our laurels…. :???: :???:
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

We're not the players or the coaching staff. We're fans. Some people here are still celebrating beating Bulgaria in 94. My kids sing "Bebeto just day cry, when Nigeria beat Brazil" and they weren't even born until a decade later.

Its a wild world out there with lots to weigh people down. Let them dance and celebrate something joyful, especially, to your point, as it might not even last.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Enyi wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:22 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 pm

I thought someone suggested we practice free kicks at home…. I have started….

We cannot rest on our laurels…. :???: :???:
:lol: :lol:
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli