Striker problem

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Striker problem

Post by ohenhen1 »

Hopefully Awoniyi and Sadiq improve next game. But if they continue to struggle, we need to look at trialing out either Olayinka or Onyekuru as a false 9.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Striker problem

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Ohenhen you don start??
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You are right, especially for Awoniyi whom this was his second game. I said the same thing on another thread. He is strong on the ball, but with Osimhen and Onuachu coming back, he and Sadiq need to start scoring or they will have a hard time making the world cup squad if we qualify. Especially if Dennis continues with his form and he eventually makes peace with the team.
ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 pm Hopefully Awoniyi and Sadiq improve next game. But if they continue to struggle, we need to look at trialing out either Olayinka or Onyekuru as a false 9.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

ohenhen1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 pm Hopefully Awoniyi and Sadiq improve next game. But if they continue to struggle, we need to look at trialing out either Olayinka or Onyekuru as a false 9.
I would not use the term Striker ‘problem’ I would use the term ‘opportunity’ because this tournament is their chance to prove themselves and unseat the automatic choices. They have to score in the next two games or have a cracker.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Matchday 1 versus Egypt, striker problem? In a tournament where the defending champions are yet to find the net, even the host country Cameroon only got on the scoresheet via penalty kicks, scoring machine Mo Sallah... blank, Senegal's Mane... penalty... we may have striker problem but we don't have a pattern yet to justify such conclusion, and we should be glad we got capable replacements with our preferred choices out.

With that said I would turn to Egypt, Senegal, Algeria and Cameroon's Ohenhen by saying, hopefully Mo Sallah, Sadio Mane, Mahrez and Abubakar improve next game or we 'trial' other options.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:15 pm Matchday 1 versus Egypt, striker problem? In a tournament where the defending champions are yet to find the net, even the host country Cameroon only got on the scoresheet via penalty kicks, scoring machine Mo Sallah... blank, Senegal's Mane... penalty... we may have striker problem but we don't have a pattern yet to justify such conclusion, and we should be glad we got capable replacements with our preferred choices out.

With that said I would turn to Egypt, Senegal, Algeria and Cameroon's Ohenhen by saying, hopefully Mo Sallah, Sadio Mane, Mahrez and Abubakar improve next game or we 'trial' other options.
1Naija said Awoniyi is under pressure because he hasn't scored in 2 games. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Awoniyi did well. Ran the channels, smart movement in the box, combined with Nacho, pressured the ball, kept the defence on their toes.

Umar looked a bit lost but that’s understandable first game. And after Nacho left the game Umar was isolated.

Nothing I would consider a problem.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:15 pm Matchday 1 versus Egypt, striker problem? In a tournament where the defending champions are yet to find the net, even the host country Cameroon only got in the scoresheet via penalty kicks, scoring machine Mo Sallah... blank, Senegal's Mane... penalty... we may have striker problem but we don't have a pattern yet to justify such conclusion, and we should be glad we got capable replacements with our preferred choices out.

Na you get time sef... The reasoning of these people baffles me. Awoniyi just made his AFCON debut yesterday and you were expecting bangers from him? smh
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

1Naija said Awoniyi is under pressure because he hasn't scored in 2 games. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Naija can put pressure on people sha
Last edited by airwolex on Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sadiq, particularly, was out of sorts. He needs to be better. Although, he may claim that he had little service during the period that he was on.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I am not the one putting pressure on Awoniyi, the situation is. Or maybe you would like him to be the next Onyekuru that is only considered when all else fails.

The fact is, the proven strikers for Nigeria so far are:

Osimhen
Nacho
Onuachu
Ighalo ( whether we like it or not ... unless he retires completely)

Awoniyi will have to displace one of them to make it to the WC. And don't forget he will have Onyekuru, Olayinka, Sadiq, and Dennis to contend with as well. This is fact, not feelings! If he doesn't start scoring soon, it won't be 1naija that will keep him out.
airwolex wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:19 pm 1Naija said Awoniyi is under pressure because he hasn't scored in 2 games. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

1naija wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:31 pm I am not the one putting pressure on Awoniyi, the situation is. Or maybe you would like him to be the next Onyekuru that is only considered when all else fails.

The fact is, the proven strikers for Nigeria so far are:

Osimhen
Nacho
Onuachu
Ighalo ( whether we like it or not ... unless he retires completely)

Awoniyi will have to displace one of them to make it to the WC. And don't forget he will have Onyekuru, Olayinka, Sadiq, and Dennis to contend with as well. This is fact, not feelings! If he doesn't start scoring soon, it won't be 1naija that will keep him out.
airwolex wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:19 pm 1Naija said Awoniyi is under pressure because he hasn't scored in 2 games. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Yes, I am sure Awoniyi knows this, however, his performance yesterday, despite the fact that e didn't score, was encouraging.

If it were just pure hustle and bustle, then it's one thing, but he had a few good attempts at goal.

Let's see how he gets on in this competition.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

YemiBrazil wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:15 pm Matchday 1 versus Egypt, striker problem? In a tournament where the defending champions are yet to find the net, even the host country Cameroon only got on the scoresheet via penalty kicks, scoring machine Mo Sallah... blank, Senegal's Mane... penalty... we may have striker problem but we don't have a pattern yet to justify such conclusion, and we should be glad we got capable replacements with our preferred choices out.

Please stop it! Logic and sound reasoning are not allowed on this thread!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Let's put things in perspective, the two strikers have a combined number of 3 international caps. They played against a very good defence.

Awoniyi, needs to score a goal, and he would be fine, and Sadiq needs more playing time (they remember of Mario Mandžukić) somewhat awkward to defend against.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

fabio wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:36 pm
Let's put things in perspective, the two strikers have a combined number of 3 international caps. They played against a very good defence.

Awoniyi, needs to score a goal, and he would be fine, and Sadiq needs more playing time (they remember of Mario Mandžukić) somewhat awkward to defend against.
:agree: and none of them were friendlies! Egypt might have been poor but they're still not pushovers, but I expect more when we come up against Sudan and Guinea-Bissau
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Striker problem ?

Yet our main winger (who everybody was hyperbolically hyping as the 2nd comming of Messi) did not have ONE SINGLE KEY PASS all game.

In fact Awoniyi would have scored an easy tap in if Simon wasn't so pigheadedly selfish and shot from an impossible angle instead of simply squaring the ball to Taiwo.

Despite all the hype how many actual chances did Simon create ?

We had plenty of attacking opportunities where we could have killed Egypt, but our wingers were mostly selfish or lacked the final ball.

No we dont have a striker problem until our strikers start missing chances. They simply aren't getting any.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

We don't have individual striker problem, but combined attack discipline issues.
For those who can, please watch the match again and try seeing how many wrong passing options
were made in the final third. Also we should not omit the fact of players shooting instead of passing
the ball to a teammate better positioned to take a shot at goal.
With players getting selfish, mishandle a first touch in the box, or cannot choose the better positioned
teammate to pass the ball to, these are why we could not extend our lead against Egypt.
Attacking players need to be more focused and posses better emotional control in these situations,
to enable better team cohesion in the attacking final third.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm Sadiq, particularly, was out of sorts. He needs to be better. Although, he may claim that he had little service during the period that he was on.
That is Sadiq for you. I have never rated him. And to make matters worse, he is so laid back. Similar problem Nwakali has.

Let's see what he will do next time he plays.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You all are in denial. The fact that Ighalo was recalled should tell you something.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

1naija wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm You all are in denial. The fact that Ighalo was recalled should tell you something.
It told us that our coach was clueless.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

We don't have a striker problem. Iheanacho scored and Awoniyi will eventually score if he continues to get chances and do the good things he's doing (running the channels, chasing down defenders, and making intelligent runs). Umar only played 20 minutes so I won't say he struggled.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:59 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm Sadiq, particularly, was out of sorts. He needs to be better. Although, he may claim that he had little service during the period that he was on.
That is Sadiq for you. I have never rated him. And to make matters worse, he is so laid back. Similar problem Nwakali has.

Let's see what he will do next time he plays.
Guy, you’ve been watching football long enough to know that tall and long-legged footballers all appear to be laid back.
Especially strikers.
It’s their long stride and higher center of gravity. They are also said to be slow but that’s because of their long strides - meaning they cover a fixed distance with less strides.
Sadiq is exceptionally skillful for someone of that height. He just needs to, uhm…. get into his stride. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "