How did the usual "Powerhouses" from East and S. Africa miss out on the Afcon?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
How did the usual "Powerhouses" from East and S. Africa miss out on the Afcon?

Post by bamenda boy »

I mean I don't see any Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia or South Africa?
I mean CAF actually added 8 more slots. How did they miss out?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How did the usual "Powerhouses" from East and S. Africa miss out on the Afcon?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Kenya ke. Na marathon dem dey run?
OCCUPY NFF!!
kawawa
Egg
Egg
Re: How did the usual "Powerhouses" from East and S. Africa miss out on the Afcon?

Post by kawawa »

3 words: No more minnows!
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

bamenda boy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:12 pm I mean I don't see any Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia or South Africa?
Zambia are the only true powerhouse in that list. Chipolopolo will be back they are still the best team from Southern Africa.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

kawawa wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:58 pm 3 words: No more minnows!
Please tell the 'know-it-alls' herein.
It's interesting that some folks do not appreciate the meaning of C-O-M-P-E-T-I-T-I-O-N.
The current champions, Algeria, got a good workout against 'minnow' Sierra Leone, only to escape with a tie.
Can't wait to see the biggest upset in the knock-out phase of this competition.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Zambia has some good players at the moment too
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Even Angola and Dr. Congo. Wear the hell?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:13 pm
bamenda boy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:12 pm I mean I don't see any Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia or South Africa?
Zambia are the only true powerhouse in that list. Chipolopolo will be back they are still the best team from Southern Africa.
Why Zambia always producing better players than all the rest
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Uganda is rebuilding after their team pulled a Cameroon at the 2019 AFCON. :)

So Africa's number 1 goalie Onyango and a few other veterans "retired" from the team.
To make matters worse, FUFA hired a journeyman Irish oyibo coach and then the pandemic happened.

The new team drew with Iceland yesterday. Next up is S. Korea.
https://kawowo.com/2022/01/12/iceland-1 ... build-up/
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

blame it on Omicron
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Looks like apart from Togo, every team from West Africa qualified.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

bamenda boy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:41 pm Looks like apart from Togo, every team from West Africa qualified.
Benin?
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.