The simple reason that AFCON games are low scoring affairs

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
The simple reason that AFCON games are low scoring affairs

Post by Scipio Africanus »

African attacking play is simply not good enough. Poor decision making in the final third, poor final balls compounded by poor technique etc.

Give most of these African "minnows" keeping the score in this AFCON down to 0-0 or 1-0 to a European power like England, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Germany or France, even Croatia and they would rack up at least 3 goals regularly.

Those consistent square balls hit with pace and accuracy from the wings behind the defense (Germany), or tightly controlled defense splitting passes combined with clinical finishing (France), or intelligent runs into space combined with clinical passing and finishing (Spain), or dead accurate delivery of set pieces and crosses (England). No African team can do any of the above consistently.

No wonder the last time an African team was in the quarters of the WC was in 2010(Ghana) and prior to that was in 2002(Senegal) and prior to that was in 1990 (Cameruin).

African teams simply have to improve in the final third!

Wha choo looking at?!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The simple reason that AFCON games are low scoring affairs

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Yup! The team's are mostly rubbish tbh, the lack in the fundamentals of the game. Even the so called power houses are suspect, I don't even think the likes of Algeria. Morocco, Cameroun and Egypt can beat ukraine.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

You guys are funny, na today? We are playing African teams at this tournament and folks were busy shaking even predicting we would lose 4-0. This is the same continent that couldn't get a single team out of the group stages in the last WC. Its teams are meh in the grand scheme of things. Some WC individual players here and there but overall not that great, then the tourney has also been watered down with 24 teams. Really the neutral spectator wouldn't find too much entertainment not like the Euros or the Copa America. This one na Gold Cup type quality and I'm sure few of us paid attention to that...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

It's NOT what it seems, so I differ from you two brothers (Emir and Scipio) in above. This is football, a team game, where in addition to luck (own goal, bad call, or a simple error in a goal-mouth scramble), any team can beat any team in any given day. Thus, ...
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Have we considered that most teams have not had time to gell due to very little time for training camps and late release of players? For instance, Nigerias strikers played together for the first time in the tournament - that would not happen in the Euros or World Cup. We will see more goals from tomorrow.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:11 pm Have we considered that most teams have not had time to gell due to very little time for training camps and late release of players? For instance, Nigerias strikers played together for the first time in the tournament - that would not happen in the Euros or World Cup. We will see more goals from tomorrow.
Maybe but really how much time do you need to gell with your teammates before you learn to cross the ball properly, or look for an open man in the box and pass in his direction instead of shooting the ball from insane angles? Or take a proper free kick with the right bend towards onrushing teammates etc? No I think the problem is deeper than that.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Maybe African teams have gotten better?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:17 pm
aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:11 pm Have we considered that most teams have not had time to gell due to very little time for training camps and late release of players? For instance, Nigerias strikers played together for the first time in the tournament - that would not happen in the Euros or World Cup. We will see more goals from tomorrow.
Maybe but really how much time do you need to gell with your teammates before you learn to cross the ball properly, or look for an open man in the box and pass in his direction instead of shooting the ball from insane angles? Or take a proper free kick with the right bend towards onrushing teammates etc? No I think the problem is deeper than that.
These things typically happen where teams have not gotten into their stride. And yes, with some teams there are issues but the top teams have players that can do these things. Besides other AFCONs have been higher scoring.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Lol let is wait untill it is all done and dusted
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:36 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:17 pm
These things typically happen where teams have not gotten into their stride. And yes, with some teams there are issues but the top teams have players that can do these things. Besides other AFCONs have been higher scoring.
To be honest it is probably because of a mix of factors, including the reasons you put forth but I stick to my point that African teams in general are poor attacking wise.

Wha choo looking at?!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:33 pm Maybe African teams have gotten better?
:idea:

Cheers.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:33 pm Maybe African teams have gotten better?
Not attacking wise. We still see the same terrible decision making and lack of composure in the final third from African teams that we saw at World Cups that happened decades ago.

Egypt, a 7 time AFCON winner, has never won a game, A SINGLE GAME(!) at the WC!

Cameroon, a 5 time AFCON winner, last won a game at the WC in 2002, twenty years ago, against Saudi Arabia with the dominating score of 1-0. Germany beat Saudi Arabia 8-0 in that WC. Even Ireland managed to beat them 3-0.

Germany scored more goals at the 2014 WC than Cameroon have scored in their entire WC history.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Better ko, cocoa butter ni. Chei men, we gats to improve or it will be the same sorry story at this year's WC.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

After match day 1 ..the op has made his judgement .first of all the tourney started 3 days ago... smh I thought this tournament was a month long...some of you should go and watch the FA cup , league cup epl etc... we are enjoying our low scoring Afcon
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

The most goals Nigeria have ever scored at a WC is 7. That was at WC 1994 when we had wingers who knew what their job was i.e. beat your marker AND supply a decent final ball. Finidi supplied the assists for all 3 goals against Bulgaria. Notice he didn't try to take crazy shots from impossible angles. If we had the kind of wingers we have had since for that game Nigeria would have probably lost 1-2 to Bulgaria.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 am After match day 1 ..the op has made his judgement .first of all the tourney started 3 days ago... smh I thought this tournament was a month long...some of you should go and watch the FA cup , league cup epl etc... we are enjoying our low scoring Afcon
I dey enjoy am too.

I hope you enjoy the WC too, when our low scoring African teams are given the boot in the first round as usual, unless they listen to the great and almighty Scipio. :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Una don fire me up now.

Victor Moses doing the same tight angle shot nonsense against Croatia, when he had many beautiful passing options in the box at 3:09 of the clip below.

Wha choo looking at?!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:06 am Germany scored more goals at the 2014 WC than Cameroon have scored in their entire WC history.
Because they battered the mighty South American team - Brazil. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 am The most goals Nigeria have ever scored at a WC is 7. That was at WC 1994 when we had wingers who knew what their job was i.e. beat your marker AND supply a decent final ball. Finidi supplied the assists for all 3 goals against Bulgaria. Notice he didn't try to take crazy shots from impossible angles. If we had the kind of wingers we have had since for that game Nigeria would have probably lost 1-2 to Bulgaria.
Finidi had 2 assists..yekini had the other.
SuperEagles

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:09 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 am The most goals Nigeria have ever scored at a WC is 7. That was at WC 1994 when we had wingers who knew what their job was i.e. beat your marker AND supply a decent final ball. Finidi supplied the assists for all 3 goals against Bulgaria. Notice he didn't try to take crazy shots from impossible angles. If we had the kind of wingers we have had since for that game Nigeria would have probably lost 1-2 to Bulgaria.
Thank you. The point stands though. You saw the quality of each assist. Pinpoint. No wild crosses or stupid tight angle shots.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:21 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:06 am Germany scored more goals at the 2014 WC than Cameroon have scored in their entire WC history.
Because they battered the mighty South American team - Brazil. :D
:mrgreen:

Yeah, Brazil, who won more games at the 2002 WC(7) than we have won in our 6 WC appearances(6). Chei! Qatar go sweet o!

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:45 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:09 am
Thank you. The point stands though. You saw the quality of each assist. Pinpoint. No wild crosses or stupid tight angle shots.
That team were already Afcon champs
SuperEagles

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

So players won't be able to cross well until they are AFCON champions?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cameroon were reading my thread. They have used intelligent attacking player to temporarily :taunt: :taunt: rubbish my rantings and show how minnows should be disciplined. They have scored 4 against Ethiopia! Oya continue :tic:

Wha choo looking at?!