Empty stadiums,Empty stadiums,Empty stadiums at Afcon

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Empty stadiums,Empty stadiums,Empty stadiums at Afcon

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

It's becoming a regular part of AFCON. Fans do not show up to watch except for the host country or until the final. It's an eyesore! People all over the world are watching, it suggests that Africans don't care. Even Nigeria could not fill a small stadium close to its border.

Maybe AFCON should be held every 4 yrs , what I'm looking at doesn't look financially viable. How does Cameroun make some $ back? TV and sponsors Inguess but I don't think it adds up.
OCCUPY NFF!!
joplass
Egg
Egg
Re: Empty stadiums,Empty stadiums,Empty stadiums at Afcon

Post by joplass »

After the first game Cameroon vs Burkina, it was ridiculous looking at the number of people in the stadium during the following game. Maybe Africans don't know how to enjoy football.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

It all falls on CAF they should be proactive in securing affordable tickets for fans form each country 15k each with plane tickets and hotel fares from each country participating or rather the FA of each country.
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

Pretty depressing to watch tbh. Why isn't CAF & the Camerounian FA offering locals close-to-free tickets to pack the stadiums?
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
galoise
Egg
Egg

Post by galoise »

jdizzy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:59 am Pretty depressing to watch tbh. Why isn't CAF & the Camerounian FA offering locals close-to-free tickets to pack the stadiums?
Lots of games are free… Well there is an official cost of approx. CFA 8,000 F(which is pretty stiff for an average Cameroonian). However stadiums have been opened to whoever showed up. Issue, from what I hear is the COVID protocols - You must present a vaccination card + a negative test from 72hrs inside the game time. Now add to a very low vaccination ratio in Cameroon, and you get empty stadiums (I understand Cameroon’s vaccination rate is in the single digits so far.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

galoise wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:21 am
jdizzy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:59 am Pretty depressing to watch tbh. Why isn't CAF & the Camerounian FA offering locals close-to-free tickets to pack the stadiums?
Lots of games are free… Well there is an official cost of approx. CFA 8,000 F(which is pretty stiff for an average Cameroonian). However stadiums have been opened to whoever showed up. Issue, from what I hear is the COVID protocols - You must present a vaccination card + a negative test from 72hrs inside the game time. Now add to a very low vaccination ratio in Cameroon, and you get empty stadiums (I understand Cameroon’s vaccination rate is in the single digits so far.
Sounds like a valid reason but Afcon games have been empty foe a long long time. People have little interest in Afcon at the local level. It's easy for us with internal access and security to enjoy it but Africans in Africa don't care except for the hard core football fans.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

There are crowd restrictions due to covid.. games Cameroon are involved in allows only 80% capacity. While others 50%.. make una learn to research before ranting
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:51 pm It's becoming a regular part of AFCON. Fans do not show up to watch except for the host country or until the final. It's an eyesore! People all over the world are watching, it suggests that Africans don't care. Even Nigeria could not fill a small stadium close to its border.

Maybe AFCON should be held every 4 yrs , what I'm looking at doesn't look financially viable. How does Cameroun make some $ back? TV and sponsors Inguess but I don't think it adds up.
I have six questions for you.
  • Are you seriously complaining in the middle of a pandemic?
  • Do you want to punish Cameroon with a major outbreak for hosting?
  • Or you would have preferred they cancelled like Morocco during the Ebola outbreak?
  • BTW, what's with the inferiority complex? :taunt:
  • Have you seen the fans at your massa UEFA games lately? :)
  • Why are you even looking in the stands when the action is on the green grass?
No wonder your game analysis is ... :boo: :boo: :)
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

joplass wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 am After the first game Cameroon vs Burkina, it was ridiculous looking at the number of people in the stadium during the following game. Maybe Africans don't know how to enjoy football.
Isn't it down to affordability and time? Working conditions in Africa are different to the West where many just take time off work and travel somewhere to watch their team/country playing at some very high cost.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Kabalega wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:54 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:51 pm It's becoming a regular part of AFCON. Fans do not show up to watch except for the host country or until the final. It's an eyesore! People all over the world are watching, it suggests that Africans don't care. Even Nigeria could not fill a small stadium close to its border.

• Or you would have preferred they cancelled like Morocco during the Ebola outbreak?

Africans with the usual patented excuses, accusing someone of inferiority all the while exhibiting inferiority!!!

Poor attendance at AFCON is serial, has been going on for more than a decade.

Did you watch the Euros?

Yes it comes down to income and affordability. But its also about marketing of the games locally.

The attendance here was always going to be low due to covid protocols and the impact of disinformation on vaccine uptake in the gen population.

But poor attendance goes well beyond this...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

txj wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm

Africans with the usual patented excuses, accusing someone of inferiority all the while exhibiting inferiority!!!

Did you watch the Euros?

Yes it comes down to income and affordability. But its also about marketing of the games locally.

The attendance here was always going to be low due to covid protocols and the impact of disinformation on vaccine uptake in the gen population.

Then why are you complaining about it for this tournament?
Or do you just want to complain for the sake of it?

BTW, talking of inferiority, why do you care what others think?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Kabalega wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:38 pm
txj wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm

Did you watch the Euros?

Then why are you complaining about it for this tournament?
Or do you just want to complain for the sake of it?

BTW, talking of inferiority, why do you care what others think?

See below:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: ↑Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:51 pm
It's becoming a regular part of AFCON. Fans do not show up to watch except for the host country or until the final. It's an eyesore!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

This is neither the time nor the tournament to complain about empty stadia.

Raising this issue right now shows a total disregard for the sacrifice the hosts made to put on the tournament and health of the fans who would pack the seats.

All just to impress oyibo fans tuning in?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:05 am
galoise wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:21 am
Sounds like a valid reason but Afcon games have been empty foe a long long time. People have little interest in Afcon at the local level. It's easy for us with internal access and security to enjoy it but Africans in Africa don't care except for the hard core football fans.
In the Euros and World Cup travelling fans make up a huge percentage of the attendance. Travelling across Africa is difficult and expensive.
galoise
Egg
Egg

Post by galoise »

Garoua & Baffoussam looking much much better with spectators & both locations have superb playing grounds (Limbe’s playing ground is not terrible either)
Meanwhile Yaounde & Douala are embarrassments with « 0-spectators » and potato fields for playing grounds.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Africans generally have poor attendance at tournaments,..... Generally!!!

The world cup in South Africa we were outnumered 8:1 by Argie Fans and 4:1 by Greek fans , only the South Korea game was there some level of noise, but that was by locals, not many Nigerians in the stadia

I dont know what to read into it, but travelling fans travel if they want to, if the World cup is held in Nigeria, believe me, Argie fans will make their presence known

Even those of us in diaspora will rather watch it on hesgoal or TV if available than travel, maybe its cultural, I don't know but empty stadiums don't surprise or bother me, like someone said, the grass is where it all happens
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

akamoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm Africans generally have poor attendance at tournaments,..... Generally!!!

The world cup in South Africa we were outnumered 8:1 by Argie Fans and 4:1 by Greek fans , only the South Korea game was there some level of noise, but that was by locals, not many Nigerians in the stadia

I dont know what to read into it, but travelling fans travel if they want to, if the World cup is held in Nigeria, believe me, Argie fans will make their presence known
Both Argentine and Greek fans did not need visas to South Africa; Nigerian fans did. Argentine and Greek fans also have better purchasing power.
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

It's becoming a regular part of AFCON. Fans do not show up to watch except for the host country or until the final. It's an eyesore! People all over the world are watching, it suggests that Africans don't care.
The same can be said of this site as well, Green Eagles-pharaohs 35pages, Senegal-Guinea 21post. What does it say, that Nigerians are only interested in the Green eagles matches. Arsenal, liverpool, chelsea and manu each garner more post than all Afcon matches that are not Green Eagle matches.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

A Cameroonian friend who returned from Younde yesterday told me that the reason the stadia are empty has to do with the strict requirements to provide evidence of vaccination or Covid infection free .
To start with he said only a fraction of Cameroonians have been vaccinated and secondly the obvious getting those tests is also expensive.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 pm
akamoke wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm Africans generally have poor attendance at tournaments,..... Generally!!!

Both Argentine and Greek fans did not need visas to South Africa; Nigerian fans did. Argentine and Greek fans also have better purchasing power.
Gbam!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

There’s been plenty fans at our games…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 pm

True and that is one of the reasons but believe me, this was also same for WC in USA 94 where we were outnumbered and Argies also needed visa

There is a sizeable population of Nigerians in US and SA, but your visa point is well noted and it is rooted in a point I made once about Africans needing visa to visit other African countries while Europeans roam free
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.