Sadiq Umar

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

donadoni
Egg
Egg
Sadiq Umar

Post by donadoni »

I saw a post match press conference where Egu was asked why Sadiq Umar didn’t do as well as the other players when he came on (personally I don’t think he had much time to judge that either way). Egu replied that it was something psychological and that they would be talking to him about it. Anybody have any ideas what that’s about?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Sadiq Umar

Post by Damunk »

donadoni wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:37 am I saw a post match press conference where Egu was asked why Sadiq Umar didn’t do as well as the other players when he came on (personally I don’t think he had much time to judge that either way). Egu replied that it was something psychological and that they would be talking to him about it. Anybody have any ideas what that’s about?
I doubt it’s anything serious.
Just beginner’s nerves.

Something that has been awaited for so long can be daunting for some when it finally arrives.
He just needs to believe.
He’s good, no doubt. He just needs to prove it.

Remember he was a total ‘flop’ at Rangers only to be a total goleador at his next two clubs which are arguably better performers than Rangers.
Psychological. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Compared to Awoniyi, he looked like an old lokomotive train. He could not even press,it would be difficult for him when Osimhen returns. Awoniyi is like a less aggressive version of Osimhen.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I don't think he is national team standard .....having watched most of his club performances this season. It's a shame he is being found out in a competitive match. If selected again and still fails to perform I would not be surprised if he is dropped like ,Josh Maga, Simy,Kayode Olarenwaju, Isaac Success, Dressers all of whom I think are far better than him.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The thing that bugged me was the pressing.

Fresh legs off the bench and he was the only player not pressing. Just strolling around, reminiscent of an ageing Papilo.

But Papilo would deliver on the ball to compensate.

If you can't press, you better damn deliver on the ball. He had low workrate and low output.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Sadiq looked slow in the few mins he played, but could be dangerous in front of the goal or if not marked properly.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Positive impact he had was putting Ejuke in for his first chance. But did seem over awed but I’m sure Egu will work on him. You won’t likely get the same pressing effort as you did with Awoniyi but he should be better on the ball and creating/getting into dangerous situations.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I thought he did well. Pressing was never part of his game but he kept the defense honest and ran well. I don't know what else a striker with little service is to do.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Far too early to judge him.
Na so some people judge Awoniyi after his little cameo in the qualifiers.
Now they are getting to see his qualities small-small.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

All this from 20 minutes, when the team decided to sit back ?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:38 pm All this from 20 minutes, when the team decided to sit back ?
I'm just in awe reading the comments my brother.

LOL

Eguavoen should not have answered the question or he should have responded with a positive spin.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

He did ok. 20 minutes is not enough to fully assess him. Also, Egypt was beginning to get more possession when he came on because they were going in search of a tying goal.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This site is funny. The same people making excuses for Awoniyi and saying he has only played 2 games are here blaming Sadiq for not doing well in 20 minutes.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:04 pm I thought he did well. Pressing was never part of his game but he kept the defense honest and ran well. I don't know what else a striker with little service is to do.
What do you mean pressing isn't part of his game? Everybody must press. Pressing isn't a talent that people are born with. That's like saying running isn't a part of someone's game..
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I thought he did ok but what do I know? And those calling him a wuota system callup online are pathetic
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I saw too many times the ball was played into space for him to beat an Egyptian defender. He’s not that kind of player…so I don’t really understand why everyone’s down on him
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:01 pm I saw too many times the ball was played into space for him to beat an Egyptian defender. He’s not that kind of player…so I don’t really understand why everyone’s down on him
Sadiq is a very good player and it will show when he has the right opportunity. I believe that his late entrance into the game meant that he will be starved of service given the fact that Nigeria was leading and preoccupied with maintaining that lead and not necessarily adding to it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Sadiq is not Taiwo,two completely different playere who will give you different output. The only common output expected from both will be to score goals.

Sadiq is better with ball possession, has more skill and ability on the ball than Taiwo. Not as aggressive ,definitely not as pacy. I think he was brought in to give a different direction to the game. Agreed he flopped that line. Anyone expecting Sadiq to be charging around like Taiwo ,probably does not know him or have not been watching well enough. It is like asking Papillo to be charging around like Ian Wright
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

oloye wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:52 pm Sadiq is not Taiwo,two completely different playere who will give you different output. The only common output expected from both will be to score goals.

Sadiq is better with ball possession, has more skill and ability on the ball than Taiwo. Not as aggressive ,definitely not as pacy. I think he was brought in to give a different direction to the game. Agreed he flopped that line. Anyone expecting Sadiq to be charging around like Taiwo ,probably does not know him or have not been watching well enough. It is like asking Papillo to be charging around like Ian Wright
Spot on! There's nothing you won't read on this forum. 2 completely different players with different skillsets.
I enjoyed Sadiq for the few minutes he was on, and I thought his touches were neat and progressive. I really like the look of the player and I think he'd help our team a lot in the future.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

deanotito wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:01 pm I saw too many times the ball was played into space for him to beat an Egyptian defender. He’s not that kind of player…so I don’t really understand why everyone’s down on him
Hm, might Sadiq be the kind of player who needs decent service, like um, err, hmm, maybe, ... a decent cross, to score?

Wha choo looking at?!