Joe Aribo!!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joe Aribo!!!!

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:35 pm
chuks69 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 pm Thank you Rohr, for blooding a player from the Championship, when no one in England and beyond recognised him.. From Charlton and SE appearances he went to Rangers..
:biggrin:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/joe-aribo ... ler/468198

Rangers, Joined: Jul 1, 2019

Debut for Rangers: 4th August 2019

https://www.transfermarkt.com/scottish- ... spieltag=1

Nigeria Debut: 10th Sept 2019

By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:55 pm
chuks69 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 pm Thank you Rohr, for blooding a player from the Championship, when no one in England and beyond recognised him.. From Charlton and SE appearances he went to Rangers..

So Rohr called the guy based on his performances at Charlton? That is criminal.

Joe Aribo handed Nigeria boost as Rangers star given first cap call-up
By Adam Thomas
14 AUG 2019
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... t-18933146
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm
fabio wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:55 pm

So Rohr called the guy based on his performances at Charlton? That is criminal.

By Adam Thomas
14 AUG 2019
My main problem with Rohr was that he disrespected Nigerian football. He had more faith in oyibo-raised Nigerians than he did in homegrown Nigerians. Such a man should never have been allowed to coach the SuperEagles, no matter how good he was… and he wasn’t very good at that❗️

Cheers.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm So Rohr called the guy based on his performances at Charlton? That is criminal.

By Adam Thomas
14 AUG 2019
No. It was based on this.

“Scouting for players overseas is easy for me because there is a special software device I use to track Nigerian foreign-based players’ performance online.

“Any Nigerian player that is doing fine in Europe, if I get his contact and data, I use the device to watch his clips and study his performance. After this process, if I am satisfied, I will recommend to Rohr and he will also assess the player before taking the step to approach the player in his base.

“I have tapes and recordings of so many Nigerian players doing well abroad. But the NPFL is a different mater. The league matches are not online, so it is not easy to use the software to watch a particular player’s performance.

https://guardian.ng/sport/adelakun-expl ... l-players/
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

fabio wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:12 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm So Rohr called the guy based on his performances at Charlton? That is criminal.

By Adam Thomas
14 AUG 2019
No. It was based on this.

“Scouting for players overseas is easy for me because there is a special software device I use to track Nigerian foreign-based players’ performance online.

“Any Nigerian player that is doing fine in Europe, if I get his contact and data, I use the device to watch his clips and study his performance. After this process, if I am satisfied, I will recommend to Rohr and he will also assess the player before taking the step to approach the player in his base.

“I have tapes and recordings of so many Nigerian players doing well abroad. But the NPFL is a different mater. The league matches are not online, so it is not easy to use the software to watch a particular player’s performance.

https://guardian.ng/sport/adelakun-expl ... l-players/
The pertinent question then becomes, why is a Europe resident the chief scout of the SuperEagles when his scope and options are so limited? We have tens of thousands of players residing in Nigeria compared with just hundreds in Europe. How does it make any sense whatsoever to look at just the few in Europe❓🤷🏾‍♀️❗️

Cheers.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

The FACT is over 95% of all the 'Nigerian' players worth looking at (and I am referring to those who were home born, bred and groomed) ARE in Europe. It would make no sense whatsoever for the focus to be elsewhere.
Which tens of thousands are you referring to? Name me a single one worth focusing on, who has not yet been picked up by a Nigerian Academy and/or scouted by an European outfit.

The reality is that this is NOT 2013, where the Nigerian league was below average but perhaps, one or two potential nuggets existed. This is 2021/22, and the league sucks big time! No-one is watching the league (Nigerians in Nigeria don't even bother to watch - they are more interested in the premiership). We really need to stop kidding ourselves and focus on the big fish out there who are in Europe.
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:21 pm The pertinent question then becomes, why is a Europe resident the chief scout of the SuperEagles when his scope and options are so limited? We have tens of thousands of players residing in Nigeria compared with just hundreds in Europe. How does it make any sense whatsoever to look at just the few in Europe❓🤷🏾‍♀️❗️
Cheers.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

When you have a vested interest in players that are cultivated in Europe, then the incentive to rectify the local league actually diminishes. The thing about vested interests is that it does create mutually exclusive scenarios.

Even your post is an example of a vested interest, you have all but given up on the league, because you can AFFORD to. You would NOT have the same outlook if those dual nationals did not exist. This is the path dependent argument.

Realistically, a country should never ignore those things which it requires, even if it must suffer through a period of transition.

Even in Europe they are afraid of vested interests and there are some examples of quotas for homegrown players. I think Nigeria will have to introduce some sort of similar plan.

My posts in Rant and Rave might suggest that I am against quotas, but I am not. I think quotas are useful insofar as they are coupled with a plan for excellence, and as long as the quotas are secondary, and are not the primary structure.

You can delude yourselves all you want, but I tell you this, Nigeria will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER in a million years reach its true footballing potential, without the local league. EVER! You can take that to the bank.

Now Damunk queried me in another thread about the timeline.....well jus try to be forward thinking. One thing might be to demand that any dual-national HAS TO give back to the local scene. I don't think this is unreasonable. The Nigerians born in Nigeria are disadvantaged due to poverty, if you want to compete with them based on your wealth, then it is only reasonable that you truly open doors for them.

Now somebody might argue that they already create opportunities by excelling in tournaments or raising our profile, if so, then it should be quantified. The reality is, you cannot take opportunities away from the poor, without an avenue to rectify the situation in the future.

With the D'tigers it is an easier argument, because the basketball scene in Nigeria is very virgin. So they truly are raising the exposure. However, football in Nigeria already has a massive profile, so I am not so sure that the Diaspora are providing net benefit. In the long run, this model is likely going to cost us.

I take issue with disproportionate systems....I take no issue with the Diaspora, it is just becoming imbalanced.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Or the NFF can invest the money on their behalf. I think we need to think of this as a sustainable system.

I.e. how much do we need to invest in the local scene to justify including just one player from the Diaspora?

Is it $50,000? Is it $500,000? Is it $5,000,000?

If the NFF can balance the system, then fine, but if we are creating inequality.....then hmmmmmm.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

All this big big talk about “investing in the local league” referring to the NFF means nothing if the concept is not fully broken down in practical terms.
So the NFF as an administrative body by some miracle suddenly finds all the money it needs to “invest in the local leagues”.
What exactly does it do that will transform the NPFL into the production line of world-beating Nigerian talent?

It’s pretty obvious to me that the maladministered and often fraudulent clubs which IMHO are absolutely crucial to a functioning league have been given a totally free pass and the NFF is the convenient whipping boy.

Like Jesu Kristi, it is taking a flogging and crucifixion for the sins of everyone around it.
And we encourage it by focussing only on the NFF.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

how on earth would a quota system improve the local league ?

It obviously doesn't. All this talk about quota is nothing short of agents chomping at the bit to pimp their clients. Simply the greed of a select few.

Improving the league literally has NOTHING to do with forcing a few players on to the national team, but investment and better infrastructure, again nothing to do with the national team.

The national team is not a RIGHT for anybody. It has to be earned.

You are all pulling the cart before the horse. Improve the league, and once you produce quality players they can be called to compete. But if those players truly are quality then they will leave the league. So then what.

This nonsense has to end, its been brought up so many times, and it is stupid and serves nobodies interest but greedy agents. Full stop.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 pm All this big big talk about “investing in the local league” referring to the NFF means nothing if the concept is not fully broken down in practical terms.
So the NFF as an administrative body by some miracle suddenly finds all the money it needs to “invest in the local leagues”.
What exactly does it do that will transform the NPFL into the production line of world-beating Nigerian talent?

It’s pretty obvious to me that the maladministered and often fraudulent clubs which IMHO are absolutely crucial to a functioning league have been given a totally free pass and the NFF is the convenient whipping boy.

Like Jesu Kristi, it is taking a flogging and crucifixion for the sins of everyone around it.
NFF can’t be absolved. They are fully responsible for the state of our league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/npfl.ng/amp/lmc/
About LMC - The League Management Company

ORIGINS

In exercising its rights derived from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Act 1990 as the sole regulatory authority for football in Nigeria, the NFF which is the owner of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) issued the license to organize and regulate the top tier league to the League Management Company (LMC) for the purpose of organizing and promoting the league to meet global technical and commercial standards.

The franchise was granted following the near collapse of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) organized by the Nigeria Football League (NFL) which arose from intractable legal, contractual, administrative and financial impediments.

The NFF had in November 2012 with the agreement and support of the National Sports Commission (NSC) the nation’s sports regulatory authority constituted an Interim Management Committee (IMC) for the League as part of measures to avert a total collapse of the top tier professional League. In seeking not to perpetuate the illegality of the now defunct NFL and to avoid running football in a vacuum in the absence of the NPL, the IMC supervised the formation and incorporation of the LMC to run a transparent and commercially viable professional league.

OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE

The LMC is owned by the NFF and the participating Clubs. In implementing the FIFA prescribed Club Licensing Regulation, only clubs which meet the requirements and remain in the Nigeria Professional Football League at the start of the season shall retain shares in the LMC.

At incorporation, promoters of the LMC were allotted 25% shares in compliance with the provision of the Nigeria Companies and Allied Matters Act, 1990. Thus the NFA Chairman, as the representative of the association holds 5% of the allotted shares, whilst the Rt. Hon. Nduka Irabor as Chairman of the interim League Management Committee holds 20% in trust. The shares held by Mr Irabor on behalf of the LMC will be relinquished as soon as the Board of the company is appropriately constituted.
A sworn affidavit to this effect is deposited at the rightful public repository
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:04 pm how on earth would a quota system improve the local league ?

It obviously doesn't. All this talk about quota is nothing short of agents chomping at the bit to pimp their clients. Simply the greed of a select few.

Improving the league literally has NOTHING to do with forcing a few players on to the national team, but investment and better infrastructure, again nothing to do with the national team.

The national team is not a RIGHT for anybody. It has to be earned.

You are all pulling the cart before the horse. Improve the league, and once you produce quality players they can be called to compete. But if those players truly are quality then they will leave the league. So then what.

This nonsense has to end, its been brought up so many times, and it is stupid and serves nobodies interest but greedy agents. Full stop.
The NFF and Pinnick MUST as a matter of sustainability look at taking drastic steps to improve the league and the profile of the players in the league.

We can't depend on foreign-born players who developed their footballing culture overseas to keep bailing us out.

That is fool's gold.

Under Pinnick, the youth teams where we typically use to unearth new talent have almost gone relic. He prefers those from foreign academies who now get professional contracts from foreign clubs. To him, there are no good talent in Naijaria and Naijarian league. That is simply not true or factual. He is not just looking.

Having a 'quota' for local players invited to at least camp with the foreign-based ones is good for the development of the sport and the players. You take what you learn from the foreign pros and transfer it to your local club and teammates. Even in America in professional sports, there's a lot to learn from Pros on how to be a Pro.

We can't keep using the excuse of what Naijarians and agents will do with such a program to not try such programs.

When I look at our team and see our players who came through our youth ranks, I wonder how many more could be out there if Pinnick and the NFF had made Youth Development as opposed to outsourcing to Foreign Professional leagues a priority in getting talent for the Super Eagles?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

It is truly a blessing to have Aribo. A delight to watch.
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief, you haven't addressed the main thrust of my question. I am not "absolving" anybody here.

Maybe we should start by breaking it down and listing the numerous problems with our league and see which of them the NFF should and can fix and then identify those problems it won't fix and shouldn't fix (primarily because it is not their responsibility). What is making our league not work?

Once identified, those problems that are not their responsibility need to be laid at the doorsteps of those whose responsibilities they are.
Right now, "everything is the NFF's fault" and too many are given a free pass for shoddy work because we are all looking elsewhere.

I say "lay blame where blame is due". :idea:
Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:39 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 pm All this big big talk about “investing in the local league” referring to the NFF means nothing if the concept is not fully broken down in practical terms.

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:12 pm Chief, you haven't addressed the main thrust of my question. I am not "absolving" anybody here.

Maybe we should start by breaking it down and listing the numerous problems with our league and see which of them the NFF should and can fix and then identify those problems it won't fix and shouldn't fix (primarily because it is not their responsibility). What is making our league not work?

Once identified, those problems that are not their responsibility need to be laid at the doorsteps of those whose responsibilities they are.
Right now, "everything is the NFF's fault" and too many are given a free pass for shoddy work because we are all looking elsewhere.

I say "lay blame where blame is due". :idea:
Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:39 pm

Firstly, they have licensed the wrong company to manage and operate the league. They should revisit this.

Secondly, the Chairman of the LMC is Amaju’s boy and he is clueless. But both of them are busy making money from the mess.
Last edited by Lolly on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

We've discussed this ad nauseum!
The foreign born players are not 'bailing' anyone out. They are 'Nigerian' and have EVERY right to play for 'their' fatherland, just as much as Nigerian born players. And for the record, Nigeria has ALWAYS had foreign born players in our National team, even when our local league was thriving. The likes of John Chidozie and Tunji Banjo in the late 70's and early 80's come to mind. So, y'all really need to get this 'foreign born' crap out of your heads, its nothing short of racist and discriminatory and it needs to stop!

For the record, Nigeria won its latest U17WC (with Amunike as coach) in 2015, under Amaju Pinnick. So your comments about the primary focus being on foreign academy players are patently FALSE! Also, how many Foreign Academy players have we had currently playing for our youth teams? That number is hardly any different from what we've had in the past. Also, for the record, the NFF's current approach of using Nigerian academy players for our youth teams IS the right approach. They are more trustworthy in stemming the abuse of using overaged players, which the Nigerian clubs are notorious for and it is the current talent pool for that European clubs tap into.

The notion that you "take what you learn from the foreign pros and transfer it to your local club and teammates" is not only laughable, but ridiculous. ALL the local players invited to the National camp in the past 5 years have since 'defected' to overseas clubs. Nothing has or will be transferred to local clubs and/or teammates as long as Nigeria's socio-economic situation continues to be in the dumps.

Look, many of us still harbor thoughts about local born players, who grew up playing for local clubs, forming the basis of our national teams. These thoughts are primarily based on nostalgia. The current reality is that our local Nigerian environment simply is not conducive for such and is incapable of supporting that wish.

Football has changed significantly from what prevailed in the 90s and early 2000's. It has now become a multi-billion dollar industry and in order to survive, you need to leverage any and ALL advantages you have out there. If you don't, the world WILL pass you by. That's why almost ALL African countries have improved significantly and are getting stronger. No one is going to wait for Nigeria to develop its comatose local league, so that it is in a position to be the primary feeder of talent for the National team? Times have changed and the sooner you adapt, the better off you'll be.
Cellular wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:44 pm The NFF and Pinnick MUST as a matter of sustainability look at taking drastic steps to improve the league and the profile of the players in the league.

We can't depend on foreign-born players who developed their footballing culture overseas to keep bailing us out.

That is fool's gold.

Under Pinnick, the youth teams where we typically use to unearth new talent have almost gone relic. He prefers those from foreign academies who now get professional contracts from foreign clubs. To him, there are no good talent in Naijaria and Naijarian league. That is simply not true or factual. He is not just looking.

Having a 'quota' for local players invited to at least camp with the foreign-based ones is good for the development of the sport and the players. You take what you learn from the foreign pros and transfer it to your local club and teammates. Even in America in professional sports, there's a lot to learn from Pros on how to be a Pro.

We can't keep using the excuse of what Naijarians and agents will do with such a program to not try such programs.

When I look at our team and see our players who came through our youth ranks, I wonder how many more could be out there if Pinnick and the NFF had made Youth Development as opposed to outsourcing to Foreign Professional leagues a priority in getting talent for the Super Eagles?
Last edited by Otitokoro on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Can you give an example of how this might be happening?
And secondly, to what degree in your opinion is this responsible for the non-functioning league?
Just a guesstimate.
Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:41 pm
Firstly, they have licensed the wrong company to manage and operate the league. They should revisit this.

Secondly, the Chairman of the LMC is Amaju’s boy and he is clueless. But both of them are busy making money from the mess.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Otitokoro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:49 pm We've discussed this ad nauseum!
The foreign born players are not 'bailing' anyone out. They are 'Nigerian' and have EVERY right to play for 'their' fatherland, just as much as Nigerian born players. And for the record, Nigeria has ALWAYS had foreign born players in our National team, even when our local league was thriving. The likes of John Chidozie and Tunji Banjo in the late 70's and early 80's come to mind. So, y'all really need to get this 'foreign born' crap out of your heads, its nothing short of racist and discriminatory and it needs to stop!

For the record, Nigeria won its latest U17WC (with Amunike as coach) in 2015, under Amaju Pinnick. So your comments about the primary focus being on foreign academy players are patently FALSE! Also, how many Foreign Academy players have we had currently playing for our youth teams? That number is hardly any different from what we've had in the past. Also, for the record, the NFF's current approach of using Nigerian academy players for our youth teams IS the right approach. They are more trustworthy in stemming the abuse of using overaged players, which the Nigerian clubs are notorious for and it is the current talent pool for that European clubs tap into.

The notion that you "take what you learn from the foreign pros and transfer it to your local club and teammates" is not only laughable, but ridiculous. ALL the local players invited to the National camp in the past 5 years have since 'defected' to overseas clubs. Nothing has or will be transferred to local clubs and/or teammates as long as Nigeria's socio-economic situation continues to be in the dumps.

Look, many of us still harbor thoughts about local born players, who grew up playing for local clubs, forming the basis of our national teams. These thoughts are primarily based on nostalgia. The current reality is that our local Nigerian environment simply is incapable of supporting that wish.

Football has changed significantly from the 90s and early 2000's. It has become a multi-billion dollar industry and in order to survive, you need to leverage any and ALL advantages you have out there. If you don't, the world WILL pass you by. That's why almost ALL African countries have improved significantly and are getting stronger. No one is going to wait for Nigeria to develop its comatose local league, so that it is in a position to be the primary feeder of talent for the National team? Times have changed and the sooner you adapt, the better off you'll be.
Cellular wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:44 pm The NFF and Pinnick MUST as a matter of sustainability look at taking drastic steps to improve the league and the profile of the players in the league.

That is fool's gold.

:clap: :clap:

We even used to get players from Ghana when we had all our best players here and a thriving league. The likes of Willie Andrews, John Orlando, Baba 0tu, Yakubu Mambo, Sani Mohammed, Philip Boamah and Leotis Boateng all came from Ghana and played for the SE and we didn’t discriminate against them. So what’s our problem now?
Last edited by Lolly on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Look, many of us still harbor thoughts about local born players, who grew up playing for local clubs, forming the basis of our national teams. These thoughts are primarily based on nostalgia. The current reality is that our local Nigerian environment simply is not conducive for such and is incapable of supporting that wish.

Football has changed significantly from what prevailed in the 90s and early 2000's. It has now become a multi-billion dollar industry and in order to survive, you need to leverage any and ALL advantages you have out there. If you don't, the world WILL pass you by. That's why almost ALL African countries have improved significantly and are getting stronger. No one is going to wait for Nigeria to develop its comatose local league, so that it is in a position to be the primary feeder of talent for the National team? Times have changed and the sooner you adapt, the better off you'll be.

That is fool's gold.

KPOM X 1000

and yes as you said I suspect RACISM AND ULTRA NATIONALISM behind a lot of this stupid sentiment.

its as if these foreign born Nigerians are seen as "Oyinbo" or something

I sense a resentment towards these players and it is disgusting.

Improving our local league (which I agree is a step that must be taken) HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH QUOTA SYSTEMS.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I agree totally.
Putting it diplomatically, "unconscious bias" rooted in racism and ultra-nationalism - which is itself hypocritical cos I don't see too many of these critics rushing back home to Nigeria to rough it out.

As a foreign-born Nigerian myself I take serious exception to my Nigerianness being subtly and indirectly questioned by people who themselves have run away from Nigeria and get their orgasms by denigrating virtually everything Nigerian.
Then when it comes to football, they are suddenly more 'Nigerian' than Herbert Macauley. :roll:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

That is fool's gold.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

First off, my statement was about not basing the FOUNDATION of your national team on players who got their start and were trained overseas. Giving the likes of John Chidozie and others doesn't help your argument.

I have been and always been an advocate of getting players from any part of the world as long as they are of Naijarian descent‎.

Pinnick has over the years eroded any gains we have had with our youth teams who are our pseudo feeder team. You talk about 2015... 2015 is a long time. This leadership has had a history of abandoning the youth project and preferring ready made players. You stated that my comment about foreign academies being false. Well, professional clubs have academies, it is from the academies players graduate to become professionals. How many players on this squad are a product of a Naijarian professional team?

PINNICK DOES NOT BOTHER TO LOOK. He doesn't rate them. We should be in the business of exporting football talent... our greatest NATIONAL ASSET is OUR PEOPLE.

The onus of someone placed in a position of leadership is NOT to take the easy road that is not sustainable.

If folks are marveling at Eberechi Eze, Sako, Olise, etc, we should be telling them we have more like that, that needs polishing. Not waiting for others to groom and then we poach them... and folks not caring about growing our base.

We have more Naijarians living in Naijaria than outside Naijaria, playing a sport that is the primary sport of Naijarians. And we have an NFF leadership that doesn't believe in those Naijarians, and like you, I suspect don't rate Naijarian footballers in Naijaria.

Footballers when given an opportunity should be able to move on to greener pastures. That is the aim. Upward mobility. They are not supposed to remain local. They are supposed to use the platform the National team presents to them to seek greener pastures and for someone else to replace them. It should be a conveyor belt of some sort... a "Next man up". They are not supposed to toil in backwater leagues before making it bigtime...

It is unfortunate that you fail to see the impact of knowledge transfer just by being exposed to best practices that other players have been exposed to... something as simple as warm-up routines, how to study or apply instructions...

Yes, football is a multi-billion dollar business. That is the more reason we have to show the world that we have more Sakas of the world in Naijaria waiting for an opportunity.

What is missing is the willpower by an NFF leadership willing to look inwards.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:11 pm I agree totally.
Putting it diplomatically, "unconscious bias" rooted in racism and ultra-nationalism - which is itself hypocritical cos I don't see too many of these critics rushing back home to Nigeria to rough it out.

As a foreign-born Nigerian myself I take serious exception to my Nigerianness being subtly and indirectly questioned by people who themselves have run away from Nigeria and get their orgasms by denigrating virtually everything Nigerian.
Then when it comes to football, they are suddenly more 'Nigerian' than Herbert Macauley. :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That was never the point of my post.

You don't develop a sport by outsourcing your responsibilities to others.

Or as the Americans say, via "Free Agency".

Oh BTW, your Naijarianness should be questioned if you believe that because you are outside of Naijaria you are better than those in Naijaria who all they are missing in most cases is an OPPORTUNITY.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Nobody disagrees that the league should be improved.

but pray tell what does that have to do with quota ?

When people mention the very concept, it is clear they have alterior motives that have NOTHING to do with football.