IS SIMON THE REASON ONUACHU IS A SE FLOP ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
IS SIMON THE REASON ONUACHU IS A SE FLOP ?

Post by vancity eagle »

See how Cameroon has scored 2 headers today. They have players who can cross the ball.

Meanwhile Rohr played Onuachu with Moses Simon who cannot cross the ball to save his life.

Chuks aint the best crosser either. To make matters worse Rohr would often not play our best crossing fullback in Ola Aina.

If we are ever to reconsider Onuachu for SE, and I am not necessarily saying we should. He must be playing alongside

Ola Aina -Our best crossing fullback and one of our best crossers period
Ademola Lookman - Very good at crossing and good vision
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: IS SIMON THE REASON ONUACHU IS A SE FLOP ?

Post by Sunset »

The humble pie has the clown working overtime :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I wouldn't say Simon is the reason Onuachu has struggled. I think it's been simply not creating enough chances. Onuachu probably scores more goals with his feet than his head at club-level.

I do agree with you that our wingers aren't the best crosser and that Aina is the best crosser we have.
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:24 pm See how Cameroon has scored 2 headers today. They have players who can cross the ball.

Meanwhile Rohr played Onuachu with Moses Simon who cannot cross the ball to save his life.

Chuks aint the best crosser either. To make matters worse Rohr would often not play our best crossing fullback in Ola Aina.

If we are ever to reconsider Onuachu for SE, and I am not necessarily saying we should. He must be playing alongside

sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

the same striker that couldn't do jack against west ham, dude is too sluggish, doesn't press, no pace and not mobile
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Kai even Burkina Faso score a header from a brilliant cross.

Should we give Simon another 2 years of ZERO end product if he can entertain with dribbles ?

Seriously when last did SE score from a cross ?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:05 pm Kai even Burkina Faso score a header from a brilliant cross.

Should we give Simon another 2 years of ZERO end product if he can entertain with dribbles ?

Very very valid questions. The time for delusions is over. Can you imagine how many more goals Awoniyi and Onuachu, not to mention Osimhen would score if we had reliable crossers of the ball?

Wha choo looking at?!
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:24 pm See how Cameroon has scored 2 headers today. They have players who can cross the ball.

Zaidu is our best ball crosser, watch him at FC Porto you will understand
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:05 pm Kai even Burkina Faso score a header from a brilliant cross.

Very very valid questions. The time for delusions is over. Can you imagine how many more goals Awoniyi and Onuachu, not to mention Osimhen would score if we had reliable crossers of the ball?
I am glad you see it bro.

Not just our crosses but even cutbacks are seriously lacking. You raised the question.

People can keep their heads in the sand.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

onovo wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:16 pm

Zaidu is our best ball crosser, watch him at FC Porto you will understand
They are both good.

And for some strange reason Rohr preferred Collins and Shehu at key moments.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Sunset wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:33 pm The humble pie has the clown working overtime :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

VE

You must have fallen asleep when Rohr answered the question on why the team did not play to Onuachu's strength. That was a question that Nigerian journalists asked several times and Rohr addressed it. He clearly stated that the team was not designed to play to Onuachu's strength. Rohr preferred passes on the ground. This is why Rohr, for instance used Iwobi wide in some cases. Do you think Iwobi's strength is to cross the ball? Nope, his strength is incisive passes from that position. I doubt that Eguavoen will play Iwobi wide for long minutes.

While Simon has not been excellent in terms of precision crossing the ball, he does make crosses up high. Note the difference in team approach. That Onuachu scored a few goals over the top was not by design. This, importantly is actually one of the changes made by the current coaching crew. This coaching crew has stated (in several talks) recently that wingers will be used and they are expected to cross the ball. It is a major difference.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:30 pm

VE

You must have fallen asleep when Rohr answered the question on why the team did not play to Onuachu's strength. That was a question that Nigerian journalists asked several times and Rohr addressed it. He clearly stated that the team was not designed to play to Onuachu's strength. Rohr preferred passes on the ground. This is why Rohr, for instance used Iwobi wide in some cases. Do you think Iwobi's strength is to cross the ball? Nope, his strength is incisive passes from that position. I doubt that Eguavoen will play Iwobi wide for long minutes.

While Simon has not been excellent in terms of precision crossing the ball, he does make crosses up high. Note the difference in team approach. That Onuachu scored a few goals over the top was not by design. This, importantly is actually one of the changes made by the current coaching crew. This coaching crew has stated (in several talks) recently that wingers will be used and they are expected to cross the ball. It is a major difference.
Good luck convincing this dude!!
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Simon has not been the only person providing crosses and can’t be blamed for other players failure. Also scoring off crosses is not just on the crosser, our players are very wasteful both on corners and crosses, Osimhen misses countless headed chances, including our defenders on CK. Taiwo missed one off of Ainas cross, you can see video here Osimhen heading wide from another good Aina cross…

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:40 pm Simon has not been the only person providing crosses and can’t be blamed for other players failure. Also scoring off crosses is not just on the crosser, our players are very wasteful both on corners and crosses, Osimhen misses countless headed chances, including our defenders on CK. Taiwo missed one off of Ainas cross, you can see video here Osimhen heading wide from another good Aina cross…

Sure but you are kind of proving my point. You mentioned 2 of Ainas crosses. Aina is the kind of player we need.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

olu wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:30 pm I wouldn't say Simon is the reason Onuachu has struggled. I think it's been simply not creating enough chances. Onuachu probably scores more goals with his feet than his head at club-level.

I do agree with you that our wingers aren't the best crossers of the ball, and that Aina is the best crosser we have.

kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

We have played 1 game. If Moses makes good crosses on Saturday, VE will find something else to hate. How many headers and great crosses did CAM or BF make in their first game. Give it a rest, let’s just see what we can do in the next game
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Simon is not SE materal. Which one of his dribbles did anything useful sef? Chukweze was mostly a no show but the few times he did show you can see the intelligent play, crossing etc. There has to be minimum standard to be a professional in any sports and in soccer, crossing has to be one of them.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:50 pm
maceo4 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:40 pm Simon has not been the only person providing crosses and can’t be blamed for other players failure. Also scoring off crosses is not just on the crosser, our players are very wasteful both on corners and crosses, Osimhen misses countless headed chances, including our defenders on CK. Taiwo missed one off of Ainas cross, you can see video here Osimhen heading wide from another good Aina cross…

Sure but you are kind of proving my point. You mentioned 2 of Ainas crosses. Aina is the kind of player we need.
No I’m just giving you another point of view, there are other cases of players missing from a Simon cross and also Simons cross leading to a miscue that results in a goal like it did in the 2nd Cape Verde game and in our last game. But it can’t all be the crossers fault why we are not scoring headed goals. Even the Onuachu you mentioned missed a couple in the 2 friendlies vs Cameroon. I agree that our crosses should be better and Simon needs to improve but so do those on the end of the crosses - the times that Simon and co do get it right.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Another thread that is actually inconsequential.

Crossing is overrated. Only a tiny % of goals are scored from aerial crosses. So I think this whole thread is overblown. Given Simon’s numerous contributions in other areas of the game, it’s faulty to fault him majorly for not providing enough crosses for tall players to head home.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

The cross that the Egyptian defender headed away and ultimately led to the goal are the types that Onuachu would have fed off. But VE is not just willing to chop his humble pie on Moses Simon.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 am The cross that the Egyptian defender headed away and ultimately led to the goal are the types that Onuachu would have fed off. But VE is not just willing to chop his humble pie on Moses Simon.
Let us just pray that he does not wish DEATH on the boy! The hatred is getting to another level.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

YUJAM wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:16 am Another thread that is actually inconsequential.

Crossing is overrated.
is simple passing overrated ?

Are assists overrated ?

How about goals ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

just to be clear.

I think Simon has a place in SE team. I am NOT calling for him to be dropped from the team.

However I would include him as a leftback and drop that useless Jamilu Collins who is surplus to requirements with (Aina, Ebuehi, Zaidu)

Take Simon as a deputy leftback so we can free up space for another (more composed) attacker. (Lookman, Dennis)

The squad is helped with players who can play multiple positions and carry out multiple roles and tactics. Simon could technically play RB, LB, RWB, LWB, RW, LW