Is Senegal overrated????? and the likes of Nigeria undermined by pundits?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

visieC
Egg
Egg
Is Senegal overrated????? and the likes of Nigeria undermined by pundits?

Post by visieC »

I have watched both Senegal games as well as the qualifiers and objectively, I do not think they are better than Nigeria or even Cameroon.

Am I the only one seeing this?

I still think CIV and Morocco are my true favorites.

Nigeria and possibly Cameroon may have a chance...but not too sure yet.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Senegal overrated????? and the likes of Nigeria undermined by pundits?

Post by vancity eagle »

Senegal are missing half of their starters through injury and Covid

it doesn't help that they have played both their matches in the middle of the day/hottest point.

that being said Aliou Cisse has been holding that team back for a long time now. He needs to be sacked, but its too late so it will have to happen after WC, or if they fail to qualify.
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 pm Senegal are missing half of their starters through injury and Covid

it doesn't help that they have played both their matches in the middle of the day/hottest point.

that being said Aliou Cisse has been holding that team back for a long time now. He needs to be sacked, but its too late so it will have to happen after WC, or if they fail to qualify.
A team with such depth should do well.

Your team Nigeria was without its biggest fire powers; Ighalo and Osihmen...did you not perform? You did and elegantly!!!!!!!!
I don't think that is a compelling argument.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

visieC wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:50 pm I have watched both Senegal games as well as the qualifiers and objectively, I do not think they are better than Nigeria or even Cameroon.

Besides Senegal
The real question is was Egypt over rated ? Rating is nothing but so called intelligence guessing based on statistic or sometimes no stats. We forget that this is still sports often driven by given daily physical and emotional underpinnings all of which are not even calculable factors or consistent measurable independent variables l. Look at what happened to mo salah the other day
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

visieC wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:57 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 pm Senegal are missing half of their starters through injury and Covid

Your team Nigeria was without its biggest fire powers; Ighalo and Osihmen...did you not perform? You did and elegantly!!!!!!!!
We were missing only Osimehn

they were missing

Ismalia Sarr
Kreppin Diatta
Koulidou Koulibaly
Edourd Mendy

They were also missing several subs and today they missed Idrissa Gueye as well.

You cannot compare missing one striker to half your team.

Senegal didn't even have a goalkeeper on their bench.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They're yet to concede a goal. Don't be underrate that.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:09 pm They're yet to concede a goal. Don't be underrate that.
Bros can you start shaking??? Haba, na because we dey play Sudan abi na wetin?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:42 pm

they were missing

Ismalia Sarr
Kreppin Diatta
Koulidou Koulibaly
Edourd Mendy

They were also missing several subs and today they missed Idrissa Gueye as well.

This is lame defence, with even those players missing Senegal still has the type of depth that will best almost any team in Africa, there's no excuse to struggle against Zimbabwe, even Guinea looked more organized than them today...
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

jette1 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:06 pm
visieC wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:50 pm I have watched both Senegal games as well as the qualifiers and objectively, I do not think they are better than Nigeria or even Cameroon.

Besides Senegal
The real question is was Egypt over rated ? Rating is nothing but so called intelligence guessing based on statistic or sometimes no stats. We forget that this is still sports often driven by given daily physical and emotional underpinnings all of which are not even calculable factors or consistent measurable independent variables l. Look at what happened to mo salah the other day
I have always wanted to point out that this Egypt is not the Egypt of Aboutrika and co, they rely too much on Salah.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 pm

they were missing

Ismalia Sarr
Kreppin Diatta
Koulidou Koulibaly
Edourd Mendy

This is lame defence, with even those players missing Senegal still has the type of depth that will best almost any team in Africa, there's no excuse to struggle against Zimbabwe, even Guinea looked more organized than them today...
just be glad we do not play any of our matches at that time of day

Senegal played the early game twice and Algeria once, both teams have 1 goal between them in 3 matches at that time. I don't think its a coincidence.

Lets look even further, of all the early games I dont think there has even been one goal that was not a penalty.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

early games in the middle of the day

Senegal 1 Zimbabwe 0 penalty
Algeria 0 Sierra Leone 0
Mali 1 Tunisia 0 penalty
Senegal 0 Guinea 0

dont take for granted the effects of the heat and humidity on these games.

Again I dont think its a coincidence that none of those games (despite having very good attacking players) has produced a single goal in regular play.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

If only Senegal had a Simon….runs for cover from VE…lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 pm If only Senegal had a Simon….runs for cover from VE…lol
they would continue to not score. :taunt:
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

I don’t think any of this matters. They will qualify for second round and then one game offs. I think we are reading too much into these early games
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Anyways I expect the big teams to get fired up in the round of 16, nothing much to read into these opening games.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Chai !!! Ghana is that bad. Horrible.
mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

Look guys we played well.

But there are still a lot of issues.

Awoniyi was good but was not threatening. Our attack going to the tournament was the problem with all the missing players. It is still a problem. Kelechi scored, but can we rely on him to be consistent. How many goals are in that team? What happens when we fall two goals down? Or receive a red card in the first half?

One thing I know with tournaments is that every part of your team will be tested by different games. Keepers,defenders, midfielders, strikers they all must react and produce when tested. Any weak link and you are out.

I am hopeful but we need the stars to align for us.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Besides Senegal
To breast Egypt is to come and not be scared with them. See how Cameroon beat them at the finals? Cameroon was but scared if them. Saw how Nigeria beat them the other day? Nigeria was but scared of them. The issue is that most teams come and are scared of them and end up making mistakes here and there.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Benedict Iroha wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:16 pm

Besides Senegal
I have always wanted to point out that this Egypt is not the Egypt of Aboutrika and co, they rely too much on Salah.
I pointed this out before we played Egypt. There is a reason they are not even top 5 in Africa. They have not won Jack even with Salah. These are facts that cannot be disputed.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

they were missing

Ismalia Sarr
Kreppin Diatta
Koulidou Koulibaly
Edourd Mendy

VE

They still had 11 internationals on the field, not so? Bros, were they not replaced by internationals or were the replacements schoolboys? Man, the falloff is not as dramatic as you seem to be alluding. All these guys are internationals. The difference will be minor if you ask me especially in areas that do not necessarily form the spine of the team.... How dramatic has it been that we do not have either Ighalo or Osimhen or the leftback that Rohr would have started or Awaziem? Think?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

I stopped watching Senegal because Sadio Mane's selfishness and over enthusiasm to be involved in everything was driving me nuts.
I think the team can even win the tournament without him. I hope Cisse nips the problem otherwise, they will not win anything.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:56 am

they were missing

Ismalia Sarr
Kreppin Diatta
Koulidou Koulibaly
Edourd Mendy

VE

They still had 11 internationals on the field, not so? Bros, were they not replaced by internationals or were the replacements schoolboys? Man, the falloff is not as dramatic as you seem to be alluding. All these guys are internationals. The difference will be minor if you ask me especially in areas that do not necessarily form the spine of the team.... How dramatic has it been that we do not have either Ighalo or Osimhen or the leftback that Rohr would have started or Awaziem? Think?
Brother:

I agree with you.
Big teams like Brazil, Argentina, Germany or France win without some key players.
In Africa, Senegal is ranked very highly so a fww players should not make a big difference.

In 2019, Cameroon won with no big name player...Team work, collective play and determination did it.

My humble opinion
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I sense a quiet confidence and determination in this Nigeria squad.
The Sierra Leone and Cape Verde experiences might have done us a world of good.
Head don correct.
We shall see sha.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "