Eguavon Reveals Nigeria used Rohrs team and tactics

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Eguavon Reveals Nigeria used Rohrs team and tactics

Post by chief nfachairman »

with some tweaks

https://soccernet.ng/2022/01/afcon-2021 ... egypt.html

AFCON 2021: Eguavoen reveals how he had to improvise in game against Egypt
The Super Eagles of Nigeria put up unarguably the best display of the first round of games in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations when they beat Egypt 1-0 at the Stade Omnisport Roumde Adija on Tuesday.

Super Eagles interim boss Augustine Eguavoen has revealed that he had to improvise with tactics that the players were already used to in the game against Egypt.

It was the best performance that many Nigerian fans had experienced in a while. The Super Eagles dominated the game, bossing possession and creating more chances.

Egypt star man Mohamed Salah was caged for the entire game, and Nigeria made the Pharaohs look like passengers on the pitch.

However, going into the Africa Cup of Nations, a lot was not expected from the team, considering the poor preparation and Eguavoen’s late appointment.

The 56-year-old has hardly spent up to two weeks with the team, but he explained that he had improvised tactics that the players were already used to.

“It’s still the same personnel, but what we did was to bring the boys together and ask them the formation they are comfortable with because I want to be flexible,” Eguavoen told NFF TV.

“I wanted a change, but they said, listen, this is what we’ve been used to for the past few years. I said, okay, I took it, and then worked on it and improved that very formation.”

With the impressive show on Tuesday, Eguavoen’s team could be considered as big favourites to win the AFCON.

However, even if he lifts the trophy, he will have to step down for Jose Peseiro after the AFCON.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavon Reveals Nigeria used Rohrs team and tactics

Post by deanotito »

Formation, maybe. Tactics, HELL NAW!
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:58 am Formation, maybe. Tactics, HELL NAW!
That (formation) is precisely what Eguavoen refers to in that report and when he refers to playing to tyhe Nigerian way in other reports he indicates a change in strategy and tactics.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 am
That (formation) is precisely what Eguavoen refers to in that report and when he refers to playing to tyhe Nigerian way in other reports he indicates a change in strategy and tactics.
Precisely!

I didn't realize that NFAChairman was/is a ****Bot.

He came up with the headline all by himself.

Used Rohrs team and tactics my foot. Damn near everyone has said this was the best they have seen the Eagles play in years.

It is one thing to use personnel, and another thing to line them up where they are most effective.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:56 pm
Precisely!

Used Rohrs team and tactics my foot. Damn near everyone has said this was the best they have seen the Eagles play in years.

It is one thing to use personnel, and another thing to line them up where they are most effective.

When will you get off this stupid business of Rohr?

The report is exactly what I saw and EXPECTED.

And all credit to Egu for this. You cannot go in as a new manager, meeting your players for the first time only a few days to a tournament and make drastic changes.

He stuck to the core, and then tweaked around the edges. The biggest change, IMO being the mentality of the players, specifically the aggressiveness...

And I fully expect him to continue along these lines, making further adjustments as the game and situation demands...

Like I've said these past few years, we had an average manager, but he did do considerable spade work, especially the team spirit he built.

Egu is the manager and building on that.

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:44 pm
Precisely!

And all credit to Egu for this. You cannot go in as a new manager, meeting your players for the first time only a few days to a tournament and make drastic changes.

He stuck to the core, and then tweaked around the edges. The biggest change, IMO being the mentality of the players, specifically the aggressiveness...

And I fully expect him to continue along these lines, making further adjustments as the game and situation demands...

Like I've said these past few years, we had an average manager, but he did do considerable spade work, especially the team spirit he built.

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have serious problems.

I clicked on the link and the thread title was all NFAChairman. It was not the title of the article from the source.

This is a public forum. I will continue without any apologies to you or your kind to defend any attempt at denigrating or discrediting a local coach.

****'s team and tactics my foot.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 pm
Precisely!

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I clicked on the link and the thread title was all NFAChairman. It was not the title of the article from the source.

This is a public forum. I will continue without any apologies to you or your kind to defend any attempt at denigrating or discrediting a local coach.

Football is not about local coach vs foreign coach. Its about good and bad coaches.

Rohr was an average coach; we have moved on from him.

I suppose now you have nothing else to talk about.

Perhaps you should go to Rand and Rave and join hose Uselu patients :rotf: :rotf:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Precisely!

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Football is not about local coach vs foreign coach. Its about good and bad coaches.

Perhaps you should go to Rand and Rave and join hose Uselu patients :rotf: :rotf:
It is far more than that and Simon's interview confirms that. Egu allowed them freedom to express themselves while Rohr restricted it. The explosive saw from n Nigerians tgat you see is tge difference. The team played far more expressively than it did under Rohr. What Egu referred to is playing structure but not team strategy nor player flexibility within team strategy. I thought that was quite clear.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Precisely!

don't mind him Tuchel used Lampard's tactics to win the champs league
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:01 pm
Precisely!

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is far more than that and Simon's interview confirms that. Egu allowed them freedom to express themselves while Rohr restricted it. The explosive saw from n Nigerians tgat you see is tge difference. The team played far more expressively than it did under Rohr. What Egu referred to is playing structure but not team strategy nor player flexibility within team strategy. I thought that was quite clear.

You should read my first comment on this thread. You are basically saying the same thing I did...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

txj wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:54 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:01 pm

Precisely!

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should read my first comment on this thread. You are basically saying the same thing I did...

Really nothing new here. I think the confusion is the reflex assumption by the likes of cellular that this means one is attributing to Rohr some of the credit for the victory.

I mean, why would that even come up?

Peeps need to move on...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Precisely!

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Au contraire mon ami.

It is the insidious nature of the belief in these parts and especially in Naijaria about the competency of locals with regards to coaching football that galls me.

I have plenty to talk about including how a coach can make a difference with the same set of players.

The argument, misguided argument some make in these parts is that it is too late to change a below-average coach simply because it is impossible to have a turn around in such a short time.

You WOWOs, open ones, and closet cases such as yourself will be called out.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:51 pm
Precisely!

MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Au contraire mon ami.

It is the insidious nature of the belief in these parts and especially in Naijaria about the competency of locals with regards to coaching football that galls me.

I have plenty to talk about including how a coach can make a difference with the same set of players.

The argument, misguided argument some make in these parts is that it is too late to change a below-average coach simply because it is impossible to have a turn around in such a short time.

I have zero interest in your acronyms and endless trite arguments. If you want to talk football, we can.
If u want to go down the WOWO business, na u sabi :rotf: :rotf:

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 pm
Au contraire mon ami.

I have zero interest in your acronyms and endless trite arguments. If you want to talk football, we can.
If u want to go down the WOWO business, na u sabi :rotf: :rotf:
Feel free to talk football and the merit of tactics, strategy, and personnel.

Some of us look beyond that... we meet you people where you are headed even if you do so unwittingly.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oga, you shouldn't be going down this silly 'WOWO' route when serious conversation is being held with serious people.
It is beneath you.
Leave it for the airheads who cant hold a decent debate...or wait until you can confirm your WOWO suspicions by meeting us in person.
Na wa. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:44 pm

Oga, you shouldn't be going down this silly 'WOWO' route when serious conversation is being held with serious people.
It is beneath you.
Leave it for the airheads who cant hold a decent debate...or wait until you can confirm your WOWO suspicions by meeting us in person.
Damunk, remember this same nfachairman had been berating all Nigerian coaches saying he’s been around them and Egu was a know nothing, so he’s trying to make that performance make sense in his biased mind leading to such threads trying to discredit him.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:18 am

It is beneath you.
Damunk, remember this same nfachairman had been berating all Nigerian coaches saying he’s been around them and Egu was a know nothing, so he’s trying to make that performance make sense in his biased mind leading to such threads trying to discredit him.
Well, well it makes sense now. I was reading the main post and I thought the poster was confused and s/he did not realize the difference amongst the various terms - formation, strategy, and tactics. I thought it was simply a matter of confusion and there needed to be a need to clarify those terms.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:26 am

It is beneath you.
Well, well it makes sense now. I was reading the main post and I thought the poster was confused and s/he did not realize the difference amongst the various terms - formation, strategy, and tactics. I thought it was simply a matter of confusion and there needed to be a need to clarify those terms.
Yep here are some of his latest hits:
EnuguII i know is even very dissapointed with Eguavon's hire. He is just trying to make the best out of what he can't control.

—-

Eguavon ke? That was useless as SE coach. Amuneke na correct money collector. I know the full gist of Osimhen and U17. He was fired in Tanzania, Fired in Egypt. BUt can U17 success translate to Senior Team success?

—-

We are recycling FAILED coaches. Eguavon was fired due to his uselessness as coach, Aigbogun was USELESS with the U20. Salaisu youth is a CORRUPT MAN that woudl clearly introduce cash
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:26 am

It is beneath you.
Yep here are some of his latest hits:
EnuguII i know is even very dissapointed with Eguavon's hire. He is just trying to make the best out of what he can't control.

—-

Eguavon ke? That was useless as SE coach. Amuneke na correct money collector. I know the full gist of Osimhen and U17. He was fired in Tanzania, Fired in Egypt. BUt can U17 success translate to Senior Team success?

—-

We are recycling FAILED coaches. Eguavon was fired due to his uselessness as coach, Aigbogun was USELESS with the U20. Salaisu youth is a CORRUPT MAN that woudl clearly introduce cash
Mace

Thanks. Na real wa o. Here is my response.

1. Yes, I admit Egu would not have been my choice but he is our manager now. BTW, my preference has nothing to do with his record but perceived personality.

2. I am not away of Egu as a money collector and will not simply go with wild rumors that often turn up when a local is hired. Where is the proof? In my view that is a ridiculous claim and should not be given any credence until proof is put forward.

3. Rohr was hired after very poor records. The current coach waiting to takeover has poor records. On Egu, he actually was fired after a disastrous game. Note the difference between a game and a record. Egu actually has a similar record like Rohr. Strikingly similar but with less games. However, while he was fired based on a humiliatingoss in a friendly, Rohr was fired after a pattern if disappointing home outcomes in qualifying games.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

It is beneath you.
Damunk, remember [media]this same nfachairman had been berating all Nigerian coaches saying he’s been around them and Egu was a know nothing, so he’s trying to make that performance make sense in his biased mind leading to such threads trying to discredit him.[/media]
Mmm, hmm! Now I see what's going on in full. Certainly, it is the type who would have jubilated had we lost to Egypt
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

It is beneath you.

He doesn't have anything serious to talk about.
He is not well informed as far as the game is concerned.
All that is left is to hang on to these stupid wedge issues.

I'm not interested in them...

Its in part why this forum has not grown for decades...

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Precisely!

Well, but this is exactly what the coach was quoted to have said. And there's absolutely wrong with that. And Eguavon said he tweaked it.

Its clear he gave the players alot more freedom and made them less rigid.

If you follow my past comments on Rohr, Ive been disappointed with is team play, and i advocated he was given a NIgerian assistant to help him in building a team that plays the "Nigerian" way.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

LMAO.... :lol:

For 5 years, Gernot Rohr 'wombled and stumbled' and could hardly coach poop out of diarrhea...
But SE's best performance for a while is substantively being ascribed to him, derogating Egu's work.
Last edited by Gotti on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL