Nigeria fined $154,000 by FIFA for pitch invasion against Ghana

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria fined $154,000 by FIFA for pitch invasion against Ghana

Post by Scipio Africanus »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/s ... story.html

ZURICH — FIFA fined Senegal’s soccer federation 175,000 Swiss francs ($180,000) on Monday for fan disorder at a World Cup playoff game, including shining laser pointers at Egypt star Mohamed Salah in the penalty shootout.

Salah’s face was a blur of vivid green light when he prepared to take his penalty, which he blasted over the bar. Senegal went on to win the shootout in Dakar in March with Salah’s Liverpool teammate Sadio Mané scoring the decisive spot kick.

FIFA said its disciplinary committee also looked into a pitch invasion by Senegal fans, an offensive banner and the national federation’s “failure to ensure that law and order are maintained in the stadium.”

Senegal was also ordered to play a future competitive game in an empty stadium.
The FIFA disciplinary panel also judged dozens of similar cases from World Cup qualifying games played since January and handed out several other fines and stadium closures.

Nigeria was punished with a 150,000 Swiss francs ($154,000) fine and one-game stadium closure. Fans invaded the field in Abuja and there were other incidents of disorder after Nigeria was eliminated at home by Ghana in their playoff.

FIFA imposed fines of 125,000 Swiss francs ($128,000) on Congo and 100,000 Swiss francs ($103,000) on Lebanon in similar cases at games against Morocco and Syria, respectively. Both got one-game stadium closures.

Discrimination by fans of Chile and Colombia at their home games, plus other offenses, resulted in total fines of 95,000 Swiss francs ($98,000) and 55,000 Swiss francs ($56,500), respectively.

Wha choo looking at?!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigeria fined $154,000 by FIFA for pitch invasion against Ghana

Post by Lolly »

FIFA has been very lenient with us here. We actually deserved something worse like a one year stadium ban.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:13 pm FIFA has been very lenient with us here. We actually deserved something worse like a one year stadium ban.
:clap: :clap: Nothing else to add.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:13 pm FIFA has been very lenient with us here. We actually deserved something worse like a one year stadium ban.
Really? Based on what? We got fined more than other similar violators. One could easily conclude that you are not a patriot. It’s a good thing that, with you around, we don’t have any real enemies😃❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:32 pm
Really? Based on what? We got fined more than other similar violators. One could easily conclude that you are not a patriot. It’s a good thing that, with you around, we don’t have any real enemies😃❗️

Cheers.
TTTK

Forget about patriotism, IMHO. Focus on being thankful that no lives were lost. I went through several videos of the mayhem and here are things to ponder: where was the security? How is it that angry fans are allowed, unhindered, to run riot and mayhem for long periods? After watching that, I doubt that I will venture near any stadium in Nigeria to watch the SE play a big game. Honestly, those were scary scenes. In my view, we got away with a slap on the wrist.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

Enugu II wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:41 pm

Cheers.
TTTK

Forget about patriotism, IMHO. Focus on being thankful that no lives were lost. I went through several videos of the mayhem and here are things to ponder: where was the security? How is it that angry fans are allowed, unhindered, to run riot and mayhem for long periods? After watching that, I doubt that I will venture near any stadium in Nigeria to watch the SE play a big game. Honestly, those were scary scenes. In my view, we got away with a slap on the wrist.
Absolutely!!! Naija got away with it.
No Escape
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Cheers.
Stop it! We almost got away with murder. The pitch was invaded while players and match officials were there and part of the stadium was set on fire. I think Pinnick's influence might have helped us this time. It's about time he's good for thing. Remember FIFA is politics.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Infatino was very lenient on Nigeria. Thanks on his rapport with Pinnick. It could have been worse..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

All these talk about we got away with a slap on the wrist is nothing short of grandiosity and abdication of your rights. in fact go back and watch the video again and see that too much ado was being made about nothing and yes rightly so because pitch invasion was not expected even though pitch invasion at end of games isn’t an unusual around the world. In context fifa I’m sure saw a bunch of teenagers harmlessly running around in social contagion, didn’t assault anyone . Yes they tore down the cheap reserve bench with clearly and disgracefully no bucket seats as is the standard for a stadium of that magnitude. Where is Ghana's fine for passively endangering our players lives in failure to provide adequate disembarkment device at the Kumasi airport, was that a lesser danger than a bunch of harmless teenagers running around an empty Abuja stadium pitch after the game. Negligence is negligence whether at Kumasi airport or Abuja stadium. And did fifa or any right thinking person expect stadium pitch perimeter security personal to open fire on the invaders ? Because I’m sure you mugus would have been the first to say you don’t shoot people for mere pitch invasion. The security did the right best thing for not making matters worst. You should be applauding our security whom we often accuse of high handedness. This is a case of where fifa regardless found themselves between a rock and hard place hence needed to do something for window dressing or they be accused of looking the other way
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

jette1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:05 pm All these talk about we got away with a slap on the wrist is nothing short of grandiosity and abdication of your rights. in fact go back and watch the video again and see that too much ado was being made about nothing and yes rightly so because pitch invasion was not expected even though pitch invasion at end of games isn’t an unusual around the world. In context fifa I’m sure saw a bunch of teenagers harmlessly running around in social contagion, didn’t assault anyone . Yes they tore down the cheap reserve bench with clearly and disgracefully no bucket seats as is the standard for a stadium of that magnitude. Where is Ghana's fine for passively endangering our players lives in failure to provide adequate disembarkment device at the Kumasi airport, was that a lesser danger than a bunch of harmless teenagers running around an empty Abuja stadium pitch after the game. Negligence is negligence whether at Kumasi airport or Abuja stadium. And did fifa or any right thinking person expect stadium pitch perimeter security personal to open fire on the invaders ? Because I’m sure you mugus would have been the first to say you don’t shoot people for mere pitch invasion. The security did the right best thing for not making matters worst. You should be applauding our security whom we often accuse of high handedness. This is a case of where fifa regardless found themselves between a rock and hard place hence needed to do something for window dressing or they be accused of looking the other way
I thought I was the only one who.noticed that they were just running around the pitch and not assaulting anyone. They kicked down the reserve benches but didn't do any damage to the stadium.
The fine IMO is excessive. That's 3 months salary for our new coach o! FIFA biko
I am happy
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Dammy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:50 pm
jette1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:05 pm All these talk about we got away with a slap on the wrist is nothing short of grandiosity and abdication of your rights. in fact go back and watch the video again and see that too much ado was being made about nothing and yes rightly so because pitch invasion was not expected even though pitch invasion at end of games isn’t an unusual around the world. In context fifa I’m sure saw a bunch of teenagers harmlessly running around in social contagion, didn’t assault anyone . Yes they tore down the cheap reserve bench with clearly and disgracefully no bucket seats as is the standard for a stadium of that magnitude. Where is Ghana's fine for passively endangering our players lives in failure to provide adequate disembarkment device at the Kumasi airport, was that a lesser danger than a bunch of harmless teenagers running around an empty Abuja stadium pitch after the game. Negligence is negligence whether at Kumasi airport or Abuja stadium. And did fifa or any right thinking person expect stadium pitch perimeter security personal to open fire on the invaders ? Because I’m sure you mugus would have been the first to say you don’t shoot people for mere pitch invasion. The security did the right best thing for not making matters worst. You should be applauding our security whom we often accuse of high handedness. This is a case of where fifa regardless found themselves between a rock and hard place hence needed to do something for window dressing or they be accused of looking the other way
I thought I was the only one who.noticed that they were just running around the pitch and not assaulting anyone. They kicked down the reserve benches but didn't do any damage to the stadium.
The fine IMO is excessive. That's 3 months salary for our new coach o! FIFA biko
Abeg thank you seeing through the white noise: in fact the fine was even invited by us toeing and echoing those foreign narrative. Match don’t finish players were exiting pitch, emotion was tense and adults were going home to their wives and family, teens were running around not molesting no one. Our females teams already played 2 matches there after the fiasco proving nothing happened

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Cheers.
TTTK

It was really disgracefull, in one of the Videos you could see the security guyz just standing there watching them unconcerned!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...salt for injury, na for where Picknic go get that kin money, unless fifa go deduct am from any future pay.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

jette1 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:14 pm
Abeg thank you seeing through the white noise: in fact the fine was even invited by us toeing and echoing those foreign narrative. Match don’t finish players were exiting pitch, emotion was tense and adults were going home to their wives and family, teens were running around not molesting no one. Our females teams already played 2 matches there after the fiasco proving nothing happened
You obviously don’t have a clue what happened at the stadium that night. Your comments are based on a very short video clip.

Our “fans” went on a rampage, throwing objects at both visiting fans and Ghanaian players, invaded the pitch and smashed up property and clashed with police in and outside the stadium. What you saw in your 2 minutes clip was over an hour of mayhem especially outside. Let’s thank God no lives were lost.

Meanwhile, Mexico had a 2-match stadium ban plus approximately $100k fine for ordinary anti-gay chants in sections of their stadium.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cheers.
TTTK

EII

All the things you’ve pointed to are extremely serious issues which are not, by any means, unique to Nigeria and must be addressed globally as a matter of the utmost urgency. What I don’t understand, though, is why any Nigerian would advocate a more severe punishment than that given to other equivalent offenders for Nigeria. That’s like saying you believe murderers in Nigeria deserve the death penalty but you are OK with more vicious murderers in the UK and elsewhere getting just a long prison term. That philosophy just doesn’t compute for me, no offense❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

packerland wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:27 pm

Cheers.
Stop it! We almost got away with murder. The pitch was invaded while players and match officials were there and part of the stadium was set on fire. I think Pinnick's influence might have helped us this time. It's about time he's good for thing. Remember FIFA is politics.
👆🏿It appears that what we have here is another advocate for double standards. Count me out❗️

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:26 pm

Cheers.
TTTK

EII

All the things you’ve pointed to are extremely serious issues which are not, by any means, unique to Nigeria and must be addressed globally as a matter of the utmost urgency. What I don’t understand, though, is why any Nigerian would advocate a more severe punishment than that given to other equivalent offenders for Nigeria. That’s like saying you believe murderers in Nigeria deserve the death penalty but you are OK with more vicious murderers in the UK and elsewhere getting just a long prison term. That philosophy just doesn’t compute for me, no offense❗️

Cheers.
TTTK,,

I do not think that they are advocating a more severe punishment. My reading of this is that Nigerians are relieved because the punishment is a big let off. Most expected something far more severe, considering the disturbances that immediately followed that game and were widely reported. Moreover, and depending on the rules, Nigeria can even file for a reduction of the current fine since they may have little to lose by doing so and much to gain. I make this statement believing that the filling of such request for review does not come with a hefty filing fee that discourages frivolous requests for review.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:52 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:26 pm

Cheers.
TTTK

EII

Cheers.
TTTK,,

I do not think that they are advocating a more severe punishment. My reading of this is that Nigerians are relieved because the punishment is a big let off. Most expected something far more severe, considering the disturbances that immediately followed that game and were widely reported. Moreover, and depending on the rules, Nigeria can even file for a reduction of the current fine since they may have little to lose by doing so and much to gain. I make this statement believing that the filling of such request for review does not come with a hefty filing fee that discourages frivolous requests for review.
EII

The “relief” angle is an interesting take but read Lolly’s post, which I responded to, carefully again. There is no ambiguity in his statement about Nigeria deserving something much worse than a mere fine; this, in the face of an article that explicitly outlined similar offenses by other countries and the fines given to them❗️

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Lolly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:55 am
You obviously don’t have a clue what happened at the stadium that night. Your comments are based on a very short video clip.

Our “fans” went on a rampage, throwing objects at both visiting fans and Ghanaian players, invaded the pitch and smashed up property and clashed with police in and outside the stadium. What you saw in your 2 minutes clip was over an hour of mayhem especially outside. Let’s thank God no lives were lost.

Meanwhile, Mexico had a 2-match stadium ban plus approximately $100k fine for ordinary anti-gay chants in sections of their stadium.
So 1hour or 2 hours mayhem outside the stadium as you narrated is now a fifa responsibility in your own eyes. Isn’t that interference in the internal affairs of Nigeria. What has rioting on the streets of abuja got to do with fifa?

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

So 1hour or 2 hours mayhem outside the stadium as you narrated is now a fifa responsibility in your own eyes. Isn’t that interference in the internal affairs of Nigeria. What has rioting on the streets of abuja got to do with fifa?

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

jette1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:21 am

You obviously didn’t understand my post. By the way, I said “in and outside the stadium”, not on the streets of Abuja.

Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

According to a FIFA insider, half of the money, from Naija, will be given to Ghana.

BTW, I was appalled by the terrorism that was displayed by the Naija fans before and after the game
They tortured both our players and fans.
FIFA should have banned Naija from the 2026 world cup. That would have been a fair punishment for the crime
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Rawlings wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:36 am According to a FIFA insider, half of the money, from Naija, will be given to Ghana.

BTW, I was appalled by the terrorism that was displayed by the Naija fans before and after the game
They tortured both our players and fans.
FIFA should have banned Naija from the 2026 world cup. That would have been a fair punishment for the crime
The next time you come here to proclaim you’re Nigerian because your mother is supposedly Nigerian, I will recommend that you be stoned to death, you fraudster 🧐❗️

Cheers.