IWOBI: Everton & How I Surprised the Manager......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
IWOBI: Everton & How I Surprised the Manager......

Post by Enugu II »

EPL: How I surprised Frank Lampard – Iwobi
Published on May 4, 2022
By Ifreke Inyang

Everton midfielder, Alex Iwobi, has revealed how a private conversation with his manager Frank Lampard, left the Chelsea legend surprised.

Lampard has shown huge faith in the Super Eagles star since he replaced Rafa Benitez.

Before the former England international arrived, Iwobi mainly played on the right wing, but has now been given more chances centrally.
But the 26-year-old says a chat with Lampard changed everything.

“It is where I grew up playing; I like to get on the half-turn, get the ball forward. I am always trying to play to the attacking players and make something happen.

“When I play infield, I get on the ball more and can take it up the pitch. I told him [Lampard] I’d played there for Arsenal but not had the opportunity at Everton…that it’s where I am most comfortable and the position I play for my national team.

“He tried it and it’s worked, so far. I felt he was half surprised I could run; he called me a machine,” Iwobi told the Liverpool Echo.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: IWOBI: Everton & How I Surprised the Manager......

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Hopefully the assists start racking up Soon. Season is almost ovee.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:00 am Hopefully the assists start racking up Soon. Season is almost ovee.
Take a break from hating on Alex. Enjoy his positives
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Didn't he play Rightback (right wing back) against Chelsea?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Say where you want to play, Carlo Ancelotti tells Everton's Alex Iwobi
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... alex-iwobi
Alex Iwobi’s Instagram post bemused Carlo Ancelotti. Photograph: Michael Regan/Reuters
Fri 12 Mar 2021 16.41 GMT
Carlo Ancelotti has said Alex Iwobi should tell him face-to-face where he prefers to play at Everton rather than resort to cryptic complaints on social media.

Iwobi marked his selection for Nigeria’s forthcoming internationals against Benin and Lesotho with an Instagram post on Tuesday that read: “Always an honour to get a call up to my national team. Hopefully I get to play in my preferred position.” The 24-year-old did not specify whether he was referring to club or country but posted the comment a day after being substituted in the 56th minute against Chelsea. He was also withdrawn in the 58th minute of Everton’s previous game at West Bromwich Albion, and has been substituted in his last six starts.

Ancelotti rarely criticises his players in public but has been bemused by Iwobi’s comment. The Everton manager, who has played the £34m signing in several roles, cited Andrea Pirlo as an example of the benefits of more open communication.

“I read the post. I want to speak to him, of course,” said Ancelotti. “I want to know his preferred position because usually I want to put a player on the pitch where they are comfortable to play, not where they are uncomfortable to play. If he has an idea of where he prefers to play I have to know, I want to know. I would be delighted to know his preferred position and I’ll put him in his preferred position for sure, no doubt.

“I am going to tell him: ‘Tell me, I am your manager, tell me where you want to play’. When I thought to put Pirlo as a holding midfielder I asked him: ‘Do you like to play there or not?’. ‘Yes’, he said to me, ‘I’d love to play there’ and so I put him there. If he wants to play number 10 or number nine I’ll put him at number 10 or number nine no problem. I can adapt the system.”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:51 pm
Alex Iwobi’s Instagram post bemused Carlo Ancelotti. Photograph: Michael Regan/Reuters
Carlo Ancelotti has said Alex Iwobi should tell him face-to-face where he prefers to play at Everton rather than resort to cryptic complaints on social media.

Iwobi marked his selection for Nigeria’s forthcoming internationals against Benin and Lesotho with an Instagram post on Tuesday that read: “Always an honour to get a call up to my national team. Hopefully I get to play in my preferred position.” The 24-year-old did not specify whether he was referring to club or country but posted the comment a day after being substituted in the 56th minute against Chelsea. He was also withdrawn in the 58th minute of Everton’s previous game at West Bromwich Albion, and has been substituted in his last six starts.

Ancelotti rarely criticises his players in public but has been bemused by Iwobi’s comment. The Everton manager, who has played the £34m signing in several roles, cited Andrea Pirlo as an example of the benefits of more open communication.

“I read the post. I want to speak to him, of course,” said Ancelotti. “I want to know his preferred position because usually I want to put a player on the pitch where they are comfortable to play, not where they are uncomfortable to play. If he has an idea of where he prefers to play I have to know, I want to know. I would be delighted to know his preferred position and I’ll put him in his preferred position for sure, no doubt.

“I am going to tell him: ‘Tell me, I am your manager, tell me where you want to play’. When I thought to put Pirlo as a holding midfielder I asked him: ‘Do you like to play there or not?’. ‘Yes’, he said to me, ‘I’d love to play there’ and so I put him there. If he wants to play number 10 or number nine I’ll put him at number 10 or number nine no problem. I can adapt the system.”
There is no doubt that Alex is Uber talented and I am glad that he is consistently showing what he can do for his club. At the NT, if you note, his work in the middle of the park is often unmatched by any of our current players because he is far superior in terms of his vision.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

He is getting PT because he has improved on his WORK RATE.

And some coaches value workrate/effort over skill.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:01 am
Sunset wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:51 pm

There is no doubt that Alex is Uber talented and I am glad that he is consistently showing what he can do for his club. At the NT, if you note, his work in the middle of the park is often unmatched by any of our current players because he is far superior in terms of his vision.
I don't know about that one oh if there's a fit Aribo or Etebo. Iheanacho's vision and final ball are superior IMO, but what Iwobi has over him is that functionality in the middle in terms of his all round play especially workrate to make sure the midfield retains possession for large parts of the game. My biggest issue with Iheanacho's development so far.

If I had to pick one of the two for the first 60 minutes of a game it would definitly be Iwobi.