Question about the captain situation

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Question about the captain situation

Post by Tobi17 »

So who actually wears the captain's armband in the team? It appears as if Peseiro hasn't conclusively designated who wears the armband yet...it would seem for now that Ekong is the one expected to wear the armband if fit (even though it remains to be seen if he actually deserves that prestigious role), but who is the deputy captain in the absence of Ekong? Musa or Simon Moses? Left for me Ndidi should be anointed thr official captain of the team when he returns to team.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Question about the captain situation

Post by bret- hart »

Wilfred Ndidi - Captain

Alex Iwobi- Vice Captain 1

Victor Osimhen- Vice Captain 2

Francis Uzoho- Vice Captain 3
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:36 am Wilfred Ndidi - Captain

I don't know about Uzoho but I agree with the order, its time we stop rewarding below average players with the armband simply because they are "experienced"...and this is not a dig at Simon Moses whom I think looks very much improved under Don Peseiro.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:42 am

I don't know about Uzoho but I agree with the order, its time we stop rewarding below average players with the armband simply because they are "experienced"...and this is not a dig at Simon Moses whom I think looks very much improved under Don Peseiro.
I think leadership will help Uzoho's confidence. It will also help Alex as well. Honestly i wouldnt mind making Osimhen the captain but i just worry it will be too much of a burden like it was for Assisat Oshoala. So Ndidi is my pick. Ekong, Musa, Moses are either not good enough or are too inconsistent(Moses)

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I don’t see any situation, Musa is captain and Ekong is vice, in their absence it’s whoever is the most senior player…same as it’s always been
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 am I don’t see any situation, Musa is captain and Ekong is vice, in their absence it’s whoever is the most senior player…same as it’s always been
So why did Moses wear the armband against Sao Tome? Musa shouldn't be a captain when he merely comes off the bench consistently to play out few minutes, a captain should always be present with the team and command a prominent role on and off the pitch...
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:59 am
maceo4 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 am I don’t see any situation, Musa is captain and Ekong is vice, in their absence it’s whoever is the most senior player…same as it’s always been
So why did Moses wear the armband against Sao Tome? Musa shouldn't be a captain when he merely comes off the bench consistently to play out few minutes, a captain should always be present with the team and command a prominent role on and off the pitch...
Huh? I’m not understanding, wasn’t Mikel a captain on the bench at last ANC, Yobo before, JJ and Kanu before, Keshi before…it’s what we’ve always done
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:02 am
Huh? I’m not understanding, wasn’t Mikel a captain on the bench at last ANC, Yobo before, JJ and Kanu before, Keshi before…it’s what we’ve always done
So Musa deserves to wear the armband simply because we have to follow some tradition of previous captains playing off the bench...makes sense now.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

So Musa will play for Nigeria forever abi?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

What Mace described is accurate. There was nothing abnormal. Moses was captain only because he is most senior member who started the game. He handed the band to Musa because Musa is the most senior and came in to directly replace him in the game. Entirely expected if you follow the ream tradition closely.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:09 am
maceo4 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:02 am
So Musa deserves to wear the armband simply because we have to follow some tradition of previous captains playing off the bench...makes sense now.
I’m still not following. What exactly is the captain situation? As far as I know Musa is the captain and Ekong is the vice. But when they are not on the field we have to have a captain and we usually choose the most senior player (Moses in this case). If the coach no longer wants Musa/Ekong as his captain/vice I’m sure there would be an announcement.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Imho, making Iwobi capt would do him and the team a lot of good. He’s a confidence player and making him captain would elevate him game tremendously, he’s paid his dues and shown dedication to the SE. Ndidi as captain is kinda milk toast. It won’t make him or the team better.

Capt - Iwobi

Asst - Ndidi
Asst- osihmen
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:25 am Imho, making Iwobi capt would do him and the team a lot of good. He’s a confidence player and making him captain would elevate him game tremendously, he’s paid his dues and shown dedication to the SE. Ndidi as captain is kinda milk toast. It won’t make him or the team better.

Capt - Iwobi

Asst - Ndidi
Asst- osihmen
:clap: :clap: Iwobi is preferred choice based also on longevity. However, for assistant skipper, I will not go for Osimhen but will think in the line of whoever becomes preferred choice in goal or Bassey. I feel that Osimhen, in spite of his clear dedication to team may have 'reportedly' other temperamental issues that may just not fit the role. This is just my take. As for Ndidi, his frequent injury issue is a downer for me on the long run.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:42 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:25 am Imho, making Iwobi capt would do him and the team a lot of good. He’s a confidence player and making him captain would elevate him game tremendously, he’s paid his dues and shown dedication to the SE. Ndidi as captain is kinda milk toast. It won’t make him or the team better.

Capt - Iwobi

Asst - Ndidi
Asst- osihmen
:clap: :clap: Iwobi is preferred choice based also on longevity. However, for assistant skipper, I will not go for Osimhen but will think in the line of whoever becomes preferred choice in goal or Bassey. I feel that Osimhen, in spite of his clear dedication to team may have 'reportedly' other temperamental issues that may just not fit the role. This is just my take. As for Ndidi, his frequent injury issue is a downer for me on the long run.
I like Osimhen but him being a captain will be a double edged sword, on my hand you can't argue against him as a captain based on his talent and leadership qualities, on the other hand his temper is such that he can break things in the dressing room out of frustration if the boys are playing rubbish around him :lol: :lol:

But I definitely agree that Iwobi should be the man, the boy plays his heart out for Nigeria and has longevity.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 am

Capt - Iwobi

Asst - Ndidi
Asst- osihmen
I like Osimhen but him being a captain will be a double edged sword, on my hand you can't argue against him as a captain based on his talent and leadership qualities, on the other hand his temper is such that he can break things in the dressing room out of frustration if the boys are playing rubbish around him :lol: :lol:

But I definitely agree that Iwobi should be the man, the boy plays his heart out for Nigeria and has longevity.
I agree. Osimhen doesn’t have the temperament for the captaincy at this stage of his career.
It’s definitely Ndidi and Iwobi for me.
Tbh, I never thought of Moses Simon but I can see why he is being considered.
But this tradition of seniority should not be non-negotiable.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Capt - Iwobi

Asst - Ndidi
Asst- osihmen
Ndidi's frequent injuries is a big concern.
I am happy
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:42 am

I wouldn’t give the captain band to Neymar even though he is regarded as the best player in the Brazilian team. Dude is too immature and instills no confidence in others with his theatrics. I think the criteria to be a captain should be 50-50 (above average in the position he or she plays & then tenure).
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

I agree, then Ola Aina as Captain 4
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

pindal123 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:39 pm

I vote for Dennis, then Lookman, then Bassey and Bonke in that order… :)
Super Eagus 4 Life!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:41 pm
pindal123 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:39 pm

I vote for Dennis, then Lookman, then Bassey and Bonke in that order… :)
Dennis is the type that will toss the arm band over the stand when substituted or walk out on the team in the dressing room. Dude is odd for real.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Capt - Iwobi

Asst - Ndidi
Asst- osihmen
My preferred order too.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Go ahead and give it to Osimhen now. He’s the talisman of this team and will be that for another decade.

Simon, Ndidi and Iwobi can assist him as elder statesmen.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.