OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Post by mystic »

Interesting squad. It's a shame that we're only playing one game in this window as we are not maximizing the opportunity for Jose Peseiro to tweak the team to his liking before the real bullets start flying. Since failing to qualify for the World Cup, it would seem that the NFF has gone to sleep on their responsibilities.

Breaking it down by position:

Goalkeepers
Maduka Okoye, Francis Uzoho, Adebayo Adeleye

No surprises here, although it's quite embarrassing that two of the three goalkeepers that were called up (Okoye and Uzoho) are predominantly riding the bench at their respective clubsides. Nonetheless it's good to see Okoye back. It will be interesting to see who starts between him and Uzoho.

Fullbacks
Ola Aina, Calvin Bassey, Zaidu Sanusi

Only three called up (two, if you consider Bassey to be a Centreback) although Awaziem can be deployed at Right Back if needed. Behind Aina on that right side there is no place in the squad for Tyrone Ebuehi (who is not in form) Shehu Abdullahi (who just moved to Levski Sofia) or Bright Samuel. However none of that is surprising. On the other side, Bassey could see some time at Left Back but I would prefer to see him start in Central Defense - where his long-term future appears to be (Perhaps we see him at both spots). Bassey's emergence as a CB means that more depth is required at Left Back. Jamilu Collins is missed and hopefully bounces back completely from his injury.

Centrebacks
William Troost Ekong, Leon Balogun, Kenneth Omeruo, Kevin Akpoguma, Chidozie Awaziem

It's disappointing that there appears to be no vision for bringing our young up and coming Central Defenders into the fray. Consequently there's no place for Olisa Ndah, Valentine Ozornwafor or Lillestrom's Igho Ogbu. With Semi Ajayi out injured, it was an opportunity to look at one of these guys. However it's not a major surprise that none were given the nod.

On the positive side, Kevin Akpoguma returns which is a welcome development. Hopefully he'll get a legitimate chance to compete for a starting spot this time (and in Central Defense rather than at Right Back). The usual suspects round out the list but it's noteworthy that Peseiro has kept faith with Super Eagles vice captain Troost Ekong who is struggling for playing time thus far at Watford (Apparently he's starting today though). I would love to see a Central Defense pairing of Akpoguma and Bassey at some point in this game.

Central Midfield
Alex Iwobi, Wilfred Ndidi, Frank Onyeka, Raphael Onyedika

Only four selections here (which is the bare minimum). Surprisingly there's no place for Joe Aribo. Perhaps there will be an explanation forthcoming but that's a shocker. Shocking also is the omission of Alhassan Yusuf (the most 'in form' Nigerian midfielder at the moment bar Iwobi). On the plus side Wilfred Ndidi returns and the super talented Raphael Onyedika gets his maiden call-up to the Super Eagles. Assuming Peseiro sticks to his 4-4-2 (which seems likely since he's only calling up four midfielders) I am really looking forward to the pair of Ndidi and Iwobi bossing that midfield against Algeria.

Other notable absentees include Oghenekaro Etebo (who just moved to Aris Thessaloniki) Innocent Bonke (a mild surprise given media reports) and Kelechi Nwakali - who only needs to continue with his superlative form to get another look in with the national team.

Wingers
Samuel Chukwueze, Moses Simon, Ademola Lookman, Ahmed Musa, Henry Onyekuru, Chidera Ejike

If the midfield is too thin it is because this part of the list is bloated. I'm not sure what the rational is here or what Peseiro is trying to accomplish. It is possible that there are a bunch of players that he would like to evaluate in person but you do that by sacrificing one player at said position for another, rather than overloading the roster with Wingers.

Missing out on this list is Emmanuel Dennis, whose place is being taken by Chidera Ejike and Henry Onyekuru. Both Ejike and Onyekuru are promising talents who have somewhat disappointed to varying degrees, but they now get the chance to show Peseiro what they bring to the table.

Much will be made about captain Ahmed Musa's continued presence in the Super Eagles, but I would have been surprised if he was dropped.

Strikers
Kelechi Iheanacho, Terem Moffi, Taiwo Awoniyi, Cyriel Dessers

We are really hurting here with our top two Centre Forwards (Victor Osimhen and Sadiq Umar) injured. I feel particularly bad for Sadiq whose hard work over the years was just beginning to pay off. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is able to pick up where he left off.

Regarding the actual selections, Peseiro nailed it in this department. Glad to see Iheanacho and Awoniyi back. Glad to see Moffi reaping the rewards of his hard work. In Peseiro's two man attack I expect to see Moffi start with Iheanacho subbing for him in the 2nd half. Dessers likely starts as well because Peseiro is more familiar with him. He also has more guile to him as a number 9 than Awoniyi. However, if he doesn't start start I would be equally excited to see what a pairing of Awoniyi and Moffi would look like.

Notable Forwards who missed out on the squad include Paul Onuachu (who's not at his best right now) Josh Maja (who is actually in blistering form at the moment) Isaac Success and David Okereke. Victor Boniface (Union St. Gilloise) is also a very promising striker to keep an eye on vis-a-vis the Super Eagles.
Last edited by mystic on Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

If you wanted Uncle Gotti's attention, why not just PM instead of using cunny cunny way like mentioning Keshi. :D
olu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:44 pm Overall it's a good list. I would have made 3 or maybe 4 alternative selections. Then again you can say that about almost any list drawn up for most national teams. Where you start to have problems in when you have 5 or more questionable selections like the Keshi days.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Riding the bench in the Israeli league is like riding the bench in a Co-ed Sunday Sunday league. Pathetic!

I think there is political influence on the team. I would even go as far as saying a quota system. And I ain't talking about the NORTH! :D
mystic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:05 pm
Goalkeepers

No surprises here, although it's quite embarrassing that all three goalkeepers that were called up are riding the bench at their respective clubsides. Nonetheless it's good to see Okoye back. It will be interesting to see who starts between him and Uzoho.
Last edited by 1naija on Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:11 pm Riding the bench in the Israeli league is like riding a bench in a Co-ed Sunday Sunday league. Pathetic!

I think their is political influence on the team. I would even go as far as saying a quota system. And I ain't talking about the NORTH! :D
Goalkeepers

No surprises here, although it's quite embarrassing that all three goalkeepers that were called up are riding the bench at their respective clubsides. Nonetheless it's good to see Okoye back. It will be interesting to see who starts between him and Uzoho.
Onku, where is John Noble these days? We need a 4th goalie to help take care of the team kit. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:50 pm This is a criminals list.

Why does every single coach we hire IGNORE THE MIDFIELD ?

Frank Onyeka has not played a single match this season.

Where is Alhassan Yusuf ?

As always the few good things (Ejuke, Akpoguma, Onyedika) are overshadowed by the rubbish.

I agree with Danfo, the NFF are picking all these lists. They only hire coaches that understand/submit/agree with the way they run things.

DNQ did not teach them a damn thing.

Incorrect.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Adeleye has only been one the bench once this season (out of 4 games) & started the 3 with 2 clean sheets, I wouldn't compare his case with the other two.
mystic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:05 pm Interesting squad. It's a shame that we're only playing one game in this window as we are not maximizing the opportunity for Jose Peseiro to tweak the team to his liking before the real bullets start flying. Since failing to qualify for the World Cup, it would seem that the NFF has gone to sleep on their responsibilities.

Breaking it down by position:

Goalkeepers

Fullbacks
Ola Aina, Calvin Bassey, Zaidu Sanusi

Only three called up (two, if you consider Bassey to be a Centreback) although Awaziem can be deployed at Right Back if needed. Behind Aina on that right side there is no place in the squad for Tyrone Ebuehi (who is not in form) Shehu Abdullahi (who just moved to Levski Sofia) or Bright Samuel. However none of that is surprising. On the other side, Bassey could see some time at Left Back but I would prefer to see him start in Central Defense - where his long-term future appears to be (Perhaps we see him at both spots). Bassey's emergence as a CB means that more depth is required at Left Back. Jamilu Collins is missed and hopefully bounces back completely from his injury.

Centrebacks
William Troost Ekong, Leon Balogun, Kenneth Omeruo, Kevin Akpoguma, Chidozie Awaziem

It's disappointing that there appears to be no vision for bringing our young up and coming Central Defenders into the fray. Consequently there's no place for Olisa Ndah, Valentine Ozornwafor or Lillestrom's Igho Ogbu. With Semi Ajayi out injured, it was an opportunity to look at one of these guys. However it's not a major surprise that none were given the nod.

On the positive side, Kevin Akpoguma returns which is a welcome development. Hopefully he'll get a legitimate chance to compete for a starting spot this time (and in Central Defense rather than at Right Back). The usual suspects round out the list but it's noteworthy that Peseiro has kept faith with Super Eagles vice captain Troost Ekong who is struggling for playing time thus far at Watford (Apparently he's starting today though). I would love to see a Central Defense pairing of Akpoguma and Bassey at some point in this game.

Central Midfield
Alex Iwobi, Wilfred Ndidi, Frank Onyeka, Raphael Onyedika

Only four selections here (which is the bare minimum). Surprisingly there's no place for Joe Aribo. Perhaps there will be an explanation forthcoming but that's a shocker. Shocking also is the omission of Alhassan Yusuf (the most 'in form' Nigerian midfielder at the moment bar Iwobi). On the plus side Wilfred Ndidi returns and the super talented Raphael Onyedika gets his maiden call-up to the Super Eagles. Assuming Peseiro sticks to his 4-4-2 (which seems likely since he's only calling up four midfielders) I am really looking forward to the pair of Ndidi and Iwobi bossing that midfield against Algeria.

Other notable absentees include Oghenekaro Etebo (who just moved to Aris Thessaloniki) Innocent Bonke (a mild surprise given media reports) and Kelechi Nwakali - who only needs to continue with his superlative form to get another look in with the national team.

Wingers
Samuel Chukwueze, Moses Simon, Ademola Lookman, Ahmed Musa, Henry Onyekuru, Chidera Ejike

If the midfield is too thin it is because this part of the list is bloated. I'm not sure what the rational is here or what Peseiro is trying to accomplish. It is possible that there are a bunch of players that he would like to evaluate in person but you do that by sacrificing one player at said position for another, rather than overloading the roster with Wingers.

Missing out on this list is Emmanuel Dennis, whose place is being taken by Chidera Ejike and Henry Onyekuru. Both Ejike and Onyekuru are promising talents who have somewhat disappointed to varying degrees, but they now get the chance to show Peseiro what they bring to the table.

Much will be made about captain Ahmed Musa's continued presence in the Super Eagles, but I would have been surprised if he was dropped.

Strikers
Kelechi Iheanacho, Terem Moffi, Taiwo Awoniyi, Cyriel Dessers

We are really hurting here with our top two Centre Forwards (Victor Osimhen and Sadiq Umar) injured. I feel particularly bad for Sadiq whose hard work over the years was just beginning to pay off. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is able to pick up where he left off.

Regarding the actual selections, Peseiro nailed it in this department. Glad to see Iheanacho and Awoniyi back. Glad to see Moffi reaping the rewards of his hard work. In Peseiro's two man attack I expect to see Moffi start with Iheanacho subbing for him in the 2nd half. Dessers likely starts as well because Peseiro is more familiar with him. He also has more guile to him as a number 9 than Awoniyi. However, if he doesn't start start I would be equally excited to see what a pairing of Awoniyi and Moffi would look like.

Notable Forwards who missed out on the squad include Paul Onuachu (who's not at his best right now) Josh Maja (who is actually in blistering form at the moment) Isaac Success and David Okereke. Victor Boniface (Union St. Gilloise) is also a very promising striker to keep an eye on vis-a-vis the Super Eagles.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Adeleye is a regular starter for his Israeli team and they are among the top teams in the league. Get your facts right. You guys don't even monitor these players but are the 1st to misyarn like that ape from ibadan and the Uber driver from Houston.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

We really need to get off this trend of of being static with our SE invitations.
Without any competition in the immediate future this is the time to experiment with emerging players yet we’re still d#$% around with expired players and not challenging the established ones.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Starting in the Israeli League is equivalent to riding the bench in the NPFL. The political interference in our football must stop
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Sunset wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:24 pm Adeleye has only been one the bench once this season (out of 4 games) & started the 3 with 2 clean sheets, I wouldn't compare his case with the other two.

My mistake. I stand corrected. That's good to hear.

I last checked in on him when Hapoel Katamon played on 27th of August against Ironi Kiryat Shmona and he wasn't playing. I mistakenly presumed that he had been benched, just as he was for a stretch last season. But in fact he seems to have bounced back positively from last seasons' experience.

Cheers.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

1naija wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:59 pm Starting in the Israeli League is equivalent to riding the bench in the NPFL. The political interference in our football must stop
Cry More

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

People think say because we hire foreign coach, corruption no dey. E dey more. Don't worry it will do them like film trick. Where is Nwakali? The midfield is atrocious!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Do we really need all these CB's for a single friendly match?
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Not true. Onyeka has come off the bench in 4 games or so. Don't think he's started any tho.
mystic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:20 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:50 pm This is a criminals list.

Why does every single coach we hire IGNORE THE MIDFIELD ?

Frank Onyeka has not played a single match this season.

Where is Alhassan Yusuf ?

As always the few good things (Ejuke, Akpoguma, Onyedika) are overshadowed by the rubbish.

I agree with Danfo, the NFF are picking all these lists. They only hire coaches that understand/submit/agree with the way they run things.

DNQ did not teach them a damn thing.

Incorrect.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

bret- hart wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 pm Adeleye is a regular starter for his Israeli team and they are among the top teams in the league. Get your facts right. You guys don't even monitor these players but are the 1st to misyarn like that ape from ibadan and the Uber driver from Houston.
Once again, my mistake. I've edited my original post to reflect the correction.

Cheers
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Ekong? Musa? Uzoho?...We are still not ready!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:39 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:17 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:55 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:09 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:06 pm
waka-man wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:53 pm Musa :shock: His Juju is strong sha.
Onyekuru’s two goals this season get him the call up.
What’s with listing midfielders as forwards?
Good to see Onyedika and Ejuke.

This is close to the best we can do, but it’s pretty underwhelming. SE minus Osimhen is very very ordinary. Maybe DNQ was a blessing.
NO. DNQ WAS NOT A BLESSING!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Orishirishi self-consolation.
Still hurt that your white mass cant find a job? eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No.
Hurt that our resident dumbfo driver still hasn’t benefited from his intense sex therapy.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You’re still on this kind of sick ish…
danfo driver wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:35 pm And Musa clearly knows how to fu.c.k well well. Good for him. Whoever he is yanshing in the NFF don gum! :lol:
:scared:
e pain! tok true! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: you touted him as a master tactician and apparently, Ghana and the rest wanted to hire him! They were all over him and Ghana, specifically, was going to use your white God against us! We were to be afraid of your :D god! :lol: :lol: :lol: whats happened? Not even Samoa or Seychelles has considered him. The b45t4rd is still jobless! spending his days speaking to one regional website or the other. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Quick question, since he once coached Zidane, do you think he can put that on his CV and find work? :rotf: :rotf:
Dumbfo the Driver
This your dual obsession with ‘the’ white man and perverted sex sef.
If it’s not one it’s the other. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Go finish your therapy. It’s obviously not working yet.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

1naija wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:11 pm Riding the bench in the Israeli league is like riding the bench in a Co-ed Sunday Sunday league. Pathetic!

I think there is political influence on the team. I would even go as far as saying a quota system. And I ain't talking about the NORTH! :D
Goalkeepers

a quota for wastepipes !!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

txj wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 pm We really need to get off this trend of of being static with our SE invitations.
Without any competition in the immediate future this is the time to experiment with emerging players yet we’re still d#$% around with expired players and not challenging the established ones.
this breeds failure.

remember the excuses use to be

"what coach would call new players in an important qualifier ?"

that was just an excuse. there are definately NFF fingerprints all over the squads of every single coach we have had.

these clowns all need to go, every one of them, not just the figurehead Pinnick, who I suspect may actually be one of the more reasonable of the entire bunch.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

highbury wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:05 pm People think say because we hire foreign coach, corruption no dey. E dey more. Don't worry it will do them like film trick. Where is Nwakali? The midfield is atrocious!
I do not believe that all of Peseiro, Egu Rohr, Oliseh, SSS, Keshi simply chose to ignore the midfield. ALL OF THEM.

This must be the NFF. Its like they think this is playstation and they can just load the team with strikers, ignoring team balance, and goals will come.

Are these people really that stupid ? Seriously ?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Sunset wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:06 pm

Do we really need all these CB's for a single friendly match?
they just refuse to call up midfielders.

just stack the team with strikers and defenders.

These people are dinosaurs, seriously, I dont think if you combined their brain IQ, they could figure anything out.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

mystic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:14 pm
bret- hart wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:47 pm Adeleye is a regular starter for his Israeli team and they are among the top teams in the league. Get your facts right. You guys don't even monitor these players but are the 1st to misyarn like that ape from ibadan and the Uber driver from Houston.
Once again, my mistake. I've edited my original post to reflect the correction.

Cheers
No worries 👍

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

The midfield is absolutely dreadful. We keep talking about the lack of creativity yet still invite the same faces. No Yusuf, No Kingsley Michael, No Savior Godwin, No Nwakali even after dropping Aribo. It is well. The Defence is even worse. Tufia!