OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:58 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:47 pm What should have been done.

I can't fault the coach for his choice in 4 strikers given our injury situation

Dessers, Moffi Iheanacho, Awoniyi

He gets a pass for this

Wingers/wide forwards

Again good picks given injuries but no need for so many. Musa should be finished with the national team.

Midfield is barely satisfactory

Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyedika Onyeka

He should have called up Yusuf, no ifs ands or buts and in fact Yusuf was called but then cancelled for some unknown reason. Completely unacceptable.

Defence is again barely satisfactory

Why was that Blackpool defender not called ?

Why was Osei Samuel not called to challenge Ainas RB position and give us new options ?

Why were 6 centre backs called ?

All in all the squad is imbalanced lacking more central midfielders and overloaded with CBs and Wingers.

We've wasted a friendly window where we could have tested legit options from Yusuf in the middle to Ekpetita and Osei Samuel at the back.
I don't have a problem with the list.

We typically have a problem with lists...

What I will like to see is for the coach to see the players up close and personal and slowly weed the ones who can't play for him the way he wants them to play.

He will in a hurry realize that having too many forwards on a team doesn't win you jack.

If he intends to be successful, he will have to scout and find more midfielders and ball playing Centerbacks. Reduce the number of forwards you invite (make the competition stiffer). Stop playing forwards as midfielders... And he will have a winning tenure as coach.

Since we triggered DNQ, thanks to you, BigPorkey, EII and co for the moral support that led to that, but I digress, we have started a new cycle.

But some of you insist on eating your wife's (or Gf's) stale okro soup!

Like Ugbowo said, inadvertently, you accept sh1t without complain and ask for a second helping...

We are here celebrating like Maceo, Balogun's two starts in the Championship at 34yrs, and we think we will be successful?

2years from now we will be screaming our heads off about failure as if it suddenly happened.

Its happening now....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:40 am A question for those complaining about the number of central midfielders invited. How many central midfielders actually play in a game? The answer to that is at most two. A balanced team has to have its complement of defenders, wingers and forwards as well. That’s why, in the modern game, the emphasis is on tracking back on defense. The midfield only looks thin when the forward and wide players don’t pressure the ball effectively and that’s an area where we are somewhat deficient❗️

Cheers.
Is 3 midfielders too much for you ?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:33 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:58 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:47 pm What should have been done.

I can't fault the coach for his choice in 4 strikers given our injury situation

Dessers, Moffi Iheanacho, Awoniyi

He gets a pass for this

Wingers/wide forwards

Again good picks given injuries but no need for so many. Musa should be finished with the national team.

Midfield is barely satisfactory

Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyedika Onyeka

He should have called up Yusuf, no ifs ands or buts and in fact Yusuf was called but then cancelled for some unknown reason. Completely unacceptable.

Defence is again barely satisfactory

Why was that Blackpool defender not called ?

Why was Osei Samuel not called to challenge Ainas RB position and give us new options ?

Why were 6 centre backs called ?

All in all the squad is imbalanced lacking more central midfielders and overloaded with CBs and Wingers.

We've wasted a friendly window where we could have tested legit options from Yusuf in the middle to Ekpetita and Osei Samuel at the back.
I don't have a problem with the list.

We typically have a problem with lists...

What I will like to see is for the coach to see the players up close and personal and slowly weed the ones who can't play for him the way he wants them to play.

He will in a hurry realize that having too many forwards on a team doesn't win you jack.

If he intends to be successful, he will have to scout and find more midfielders and ball playing Centerbacks. Reduce the number of forwards you invite (make the competition stiffer). Stop playing forwards as midfielders... And he will have a winning tenure as coach.

Since we triggered DNQ, thanks to you, BigPorkey, EII and co for the moral support that led to that, but I digress, we have started a new cycle.

But some of you insist on eating your wife's (or Gf's) stale okro soup!

Like Ugbowo said, inadvertently, you accept sh1t without complain and ask for a second helping...

We are here celebrating like Maceo, Balogun's two starts in the Championship at 34yrs, and we think we will be successful?

2years from now we will be screaming our heads off about failure as if it suddenly happened.

Its happening now....
add two years to your current age, they go sit in front of the mirror and ponder hmmmm
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:40 am A question for those complaining about the number of central midfielders invited. How many central midfielders actually play in a game? The answer to that is at most two. A balanced team has to have its complement of defenders, wingers and forwards as well. That’s why, in the modern game, the emphasis is on tracking back on defense. The midfield only looks thin when the forward and wide players don’t pressure the ball effectively and that’s an area where we are somewhat deficient❗️

Cheers.
The midfield is the engine of a team. It's the midfield that protects the defence maintains the tempo of the game and also creates chances for the attackers. Without a midfield Nigeria is not doing anything tangible in football. Seriously this is the daftest thing you have wrote on here and lord knows you do say some daft things here.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:46 pm

Cheers.
Is 3 midfielders too much for you ?
Be more specific. Are you talking central midfielders? If so, 3 central midfielders will upset the balance in the team which ought to have an attacking midfielder and wide midfielders as well. I think enough central midfielders have been invited to this squad to satisfy our needs❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

bret- hart wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:23 pm

Cheers.
The midfield is the engine of a team. It's the midfield that protects the defence maintains the tempo of the game and also creates chances for the attackers. Without a midfield Nigeria is not doing anything tangible in football. Seriously this is the daftest thing you have wrote on here and lord knows you do say some daft things here.
You don’t know anything about football so, shut the eff up. Tell me how many midfielders you think should be in a typical game ideally. If there are too many central midfielders on the field then the flanks will be wide open.

I urge you to revisit the Ghana game in Abuja. We outshot and out possessed Ghana by a wide margin. They had 1 shot on goal and scored. We had two central midfielders and one attacking midfielder. Clearly, team formation wasn’t the problem. The problem was the choice of personnel❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:08 pm

Cheers.
You don’t know anything about football so, shut the eff up. Tell me how many midfielders you think should be in a typical game ideally. If there are too many central midfielders on the field then the flanks will be wide open.

I urge you to revisit the Ghana game in Abuja. We outshot and out possessed Ghana by a wide margin. They had 1 shot on goal and scored. We had two central midfielders and one attacking midfielder. Clearly, team formation wasn’t the problem. The problem was the choice of personnel❗️

Cheers.

I think you're missing the larger point by the narrow focus on number of CMs

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:34 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Pray tell me how❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:39 am

Cheers.

Cheers.

Pray tell me how❗️

Cheers.

Not just you but also the others you are arguing with like VE...

You are right that the number of CMs in a game would typically be 2-3; in our case, usually 2. And we have invited 4, so no problem...

But its more than that.

The overall squad lacks balance; especially for a team beginning a new cycle, which is what we are.

I already spoke about the defence on this thread, so lets keep the focus on the MF, which is your point of debate.

Look at the profile of the players and their age.

We have essentially two players of similar profile in the DM role- Ndidi and Onyeka.
- both currently playing at the same low level.
- both lacking the skills to be anchors in the build up phase of a team looking to retain the ball technically
- none of them is press proof

The coach's experimented with Etebo here in a search for more technical contribution in this role. Worked well against a weak opponent. But Etebo is not that kind of player; never was...

He's also dropped Iwobi deeper. He's not that kind of player either; he's not press proof and does not see the field in that role, like a Mikel for instance...

We have 1 creative player, Iwobi

We have one box to box player in Onyedika; plus Aribo when he returns.

As we play more games, a lot of things will become clearer. But the coach spoke about wanting to be 'protagonists'- a team that wants the ball, keeps the ball, etc

Its a collection of central midfielders, with no clear cut direction and not enough sync with the declared intent of being 'protagonists'...

Its lacking a true holding MF. Maybe Rafa can fill in there, but doesn't quite fit his profile.
Its lacking a serious challenger for Ndidi/Onyeka.
Its lacking a change of pace player from central areas
Its lacking competition in the creative side.

Hopefully its early days, but so far its quite uninspiring for me...

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:29 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Pray tell me how❗️

Cheers.

You are right that the number of CMs in a game would typically be 2-3; in our case, usually 2. And we have invited 4, so no problem...

But its more than that.

The overall squad lacks balance; especially for a team beginning a new cycle, which is what we are.

I already spoke about the defence on this thread, so lets keep the focus on the MF, which is your point of debate.

We have essentially two players of similar profile in the DM role- Ndidi and Onyeka.
- both lacking the skills to be anchors in the build up phase of a team looking to retain the ball technically

The coach's experimented with Etebo here in a search for more technical contribution in this role. Worked well against a weak opponent. But Etebo is not that kind of player; never was...

He's also dropped Iwobi deeper. He's not that kind of player either; he's not press proof and does not see the field in that role, like a Mikel for instance...

As we play more games, a lot of things will become clearer. But the coach spoke about wanting to be 'protagonists'- a team that wants the ball, keeps the ball, etc

Its a collection of central midfielders, with no clear cut direction and not enough sync with the declared intent of being 'protagonists'...

Its lacking a true holding MF. Maybe Rafa can fill in there, but doesn't quite fit his profile.

Dude, you’re bringing up a different matter altogether but all you’ve really done here is echo my overall sentiments. If you really want to get into that then I’ll opine that the real issue isn’t so much the squad balance as it is the choice of personnel. Let me repeat what I said in one of my prior posts in this thread. Team formation wasn’t the problem. The problem was the choice of personnel. I believe that the composition of the current squad, even as depleted as it is with the absence of Osimhen and Ndidi, is adequate to form a balanced team. I would have liked to see a little more adventurism with the invitees in central defense and goalkeeping. Those are areas where we need the most help. Balogun, Omeruo, Ekong and Awaziem are fast approaching their respective swan songs. We ought to be taking a look at the younger folk like Ndah and Ozonwafor. I won’t even talk about the goalkeeping situation for the sake of my blood pressure🙂❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:25 pm
txj wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:29 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Pray tell me how❗️

Cheers.

But its more than that.

Dude, you’re bringing up a different matter altogether but all you’ve really done here is echo my overall sentiments. If you really want to get into that then I’ll opine that the real issue isn’t so much the squad balance as it is the choice of personnel. Let me repeat what I said in one of my prior posts in this thread. Team formation wasn’t the problem. The problem was the choice of personnel. I believe that the composition of the current squad, even as depleted as it is with the absence of Osimhen and Ndidi, is adequate to form a balanced team. I would have liked to see a little more adventurism with the invitees in central defense and goalkeeping. Those are areas where we need the most help. Balogun, Omeruo, Ekong and Awaziem are fast approaching their respective swan songs. We ought to be taking a look at the younger folk like Ndah and Ozonwafor. I won’t even talk about the goalkeeping situation for the sake of my blood pressure🙂❗️

Cheers.

The choice of personnel determines the balance of the squad...

When was the last time you watched any of Ndah or Ozonwafor?

Next you will tell me about Kelechi Bagger Vance Nwakali...

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:43 pm

Cheers.
You are confusing squad balance with team balance. Choice of personnel determines team balance.

I haven’t seen Ozonwafor lately but we saw Ndah at the last AFCON and he wasn’t out of his element by any means.

😀😀😀Don’t get me started.
Kelechi Nwakali is our most well rounded mid-fielder:
. Good defender and tackler
. Great ball control
. Well Above average playmaker
. Great from long range
. Great on set pieces

I have no doubt that once he settles down at his club, he’ll work his way back into the National team picture. It’s only a matter of time.
My responses are in blue❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:58 pm

Cheers.
You are confusing squad balance with team balance. Choice of personnel determines team balance.

I haven’t seen Ozonwafor lately but we saw Ndah at the last AFCON and he wasn’t out of his element by any means.

😀😀😀Don’t get me started.
. Great ball control
. Great from long range
. Great on set pieces

I have no doubt that once he settles down at his club, he’ll work his way back into the National team picture. It’s only a matter of time.

Cheers.

Clearly you are just fumbling...

Choice of personnel determines balance of squad....

Choice of personnel AND ROLE ASSIGNMENT determines balance of team...

The only thing rounded about Kelechi is his butt...

You haven't watched the players and you are here talking confidently about them...

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:11 pm

Cheers.

😀😀😀Don’t get me started.
. Great ball control
. Great from long range
. Great on set pieces

Cheers.

You haven't watched the players and you are here talking confidently about them...
I have just two words for you… Be quiet… ‘cause you really have nothing to say🙂❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:32 pm
txj wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:11 pm

Cheers.

😀😀😀Don’t get me started.
. Great ball control
. Great from long range
. Great on set pieces

Cheers.

I have just two words for you… Be quiet… ‘cause you really have nothing to say🙂❗️

Cheers.

SMH...