The Lisbon SHAME .... 0-4 Capitulation in a horrendous late performance.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Lisbon SHAME .... 0-4 Capitulation in a horrendous late performance.

Post by Enugu II »

That Nigeria lost 0-4 signified several things that came to the surface. The team, in my view, played well for a lot of the minutes before a general collapse that was inexplicable. That Nigeria was down early was due to defensive containment breakdown from the left where Bassey left his space chasing shadows as Portugal exploited. It was the first obvious such error from him and it was early but he made several similar errors, thereafter. But I will not dwell on that. My focus is simply to point to five clear issues, from my point of view. Here I go....

1. Unawareness on the Nigerian defensive back line that led to conceded goals. It was clear that Akpoguma and Ekong were playing together for the first time in the heart of the defense or at least have not played several times together. They lacked leadership and it showed. The third goal was particularly horrific! They let Portugal walk right past the defense and four Portuguese attackers could each have scored the goal with Uzoho turned every which way as he cried for help. Terrible!

2. This guy Denis Bournaventure may have hammered the final nail on his own coffin. He was out of the NT after a poor attitude under Rohr and then recalled. In this game, Bruno gets hauled down inside the box and Denis seized the ball under his armpit and insisted on taking the penalty kick. Where is the discipline? Of course, Denis rattled the ball off the left post. But it isn't about this miss, to be clear. That Denis spent the time attempting to go it alone with dribbles was just a shame. He is possibly done. If Peseiro persists with this guy, then the Nigerian public will have the right to ask questions.

3. I mentioned Calvin Bassey earlier. I dedicate this to him. He broke the defensive containment several times by chasing his guy into the central position. This led to the first goal but he persisted. Although, he certainly contributed going forward when Nigeria had the ball but these defensive failings must be noted.

4. Paul Onuachu is supposedly the striker and most advanced forward but at times he trailed the play. On one occasion, he was lost in a crowd outside the box when Bassey's cross was waiting for someone to put it away. Given that Onuachu is not a starter in any case, his shortcomings were known and today he exhibited some of those quite clearly.

5. While I have noted the gloom and doom, there were positive signs from this team. The team kept possession and showed gap containment, especially early before the monumental late collapse. However, even during those periods, Bassey appeared lost as I mentioned earlier. As for the new lad Bruno, he impressed. The rest have questions going forward.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Lisbon SHAME .... 0-4 Capitulation in a horrendous late performance.

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:13 pm That Nigeria lost 0-4 signified several things that came to the surface. The team, in my view, played well for a lot of the minutes before a general collapse that was inexplicable. That Nigeria was down early was due to defensive containment breakdown from the left where Bassey left his space chasing shadows as Portugal exploited.It was the first obvious such error from him and it was early but he made several similar errors, thereafter. But I will not dwell on that. My focus is simply to point to five clear issues, from my point of view.

Here I go....

1. Unawareness on the Nigerian defensive back line that led to conceded goals. It was clear that Akpoguma and Ekong were playing together for the first time in the heart of the defense or at least have not played several times together. They lacked leadership and it showed. The third goal was particularly horrific! They let Portugal walk right past the defense and four Portuguese attackers could each have scored the goal with Uzoho turned every which way as he cried for help. Terrible!

2. This guy Denis Bournaventure may have hammered the final nail on his own coffin. He was out of the NT after a poor attitude under Rohr and then recalled. In this game, Bruno gets hauled down inside the box and Denis seized the ball under his armpit and insisted on taking the penalty kick. Where is the discipline? Of course, Denis rattled the ball off the left post. But it isn't about this miss, to be clear. That Denis spent the time attempting to go it alone with dribbles was just a shame. He is possibly done. If Peseiro persists with this guy, then the Nigerian public will have the right to ask questions.

3. I mentioned Calvin Bassey earlier. I dedicate this to him. He broke the defensive containment several times by chasing his guy into the central position. This led to the first goal but he persisted. Although, he certainly contributed going forward when Nigeria had the ball but these defensive failings must be noted.

4. Paul Onuachu is supposedly the striker and most advanced forward but at times he trailed the play. On one occasion, he was lost in a crowd outside the box when Bassey's cross was waiting for someone to put it away. Given that Onuachu is not a starter in any case, his shortcomings were known and today he exhibited some of those quite clearly.

5. While I have noted the gloom and doom, there were positive signs from this team. The team kept possession and showed gap containment, especially early before the monumental late collapse. However, even during those periods, Bassey appeared lost as I mentioned earlier. As for the new lad Bruno, he impressed. The rest have questions going forward.
The team, in my view, played well for a lot of the minutes before a general collapse that was inexplicable. That Nigeria was down early was due to defensive containment breakdown from the left where Bassey left his space chasing shadows as Portugal exploited.

I mentioned this in the game thread. Moses Simon bears some culpability. Bassey was marking someone and if he left that man, Ekong would have been left with two defenders in the middle. Moses Simon needed to be aware of that winger when Bassey pinched into the middle, but he was just standing in space completely unaware of the man behind him. Bassey was guilty of ball watching and also trying to play an offside trap when Ekong had stepped back. Check out a replay of the goal below:

https://dubz.co/v/yx93tx
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

These guys were just not in it today! Just wanted to coast through and go back home!
So sad :(
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

You finger Onauchu but you don’t mention the brilliant performance of Moffi. You don’t even mention the wingers not passing to Onauchu. Fast break Onauchu supported Chukweze who decided to be greedy and shoot from a tight angle. Why would anyone continue to run knowing the wingers never pass.

Free kick on the left Moses should put the ball on Onauchu’s head but passes the ball to the keeper.

The supporting cast in This team are rubbish let’s face the facts. Moses has been rubbish for Nantes this season and Samu is a sub for Villarreal., I don’t know who dash Aribo the number 10 shirt but he play doesn’t support him wearing that shirt (that shirt should be reserved for our best player and he doesn’t come close). Mass clear out is required.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:13 pm That Nigeria lost 0-4 signified several things that came to the surface. The team, in my view, played well for a lot of the minutes before a general collapse that was inexplicable. That Nigeria was down early was due to defensive containment breakdown from the left where Bassey left his space chasing shadows as Portugal exploited. It was the first obvious such error from him and it was early but he made several similar errors, thereafter. But I will not dwell on that. My focus is simply to point to five clear issues, from my point of view. Here I go....

This here aptly underlines my point about the limited understanding of the modern game by most of us here.

There is hardly any quarter of the game that you can isolate where Nigeria played well- as in the totality of the game.
None!

And BTW, Dennis is ur #2 of 5 main points. Enough said...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:13 pm That Nigeria lost 0-4 signified several things that came to the surface. The team, in my view, played well for a lot of the minutes before a general collapse that was inexplicable. That Nigeria was down early was due to defensive containment breakdown from the left where Bassey left his space chasing shadows as Portugal exploited. It was the first obvious such error from him and it was early but he made several similar errors, thereafter. But I will not dwell on that. My focus is simply to point to five clear issues, from my point of view. Here I go....

Surprised Onuachu made this list. I thought he played well. He had to drop deep a few times but he made good use of the ball and brought others into play and was incisive. I was hoping to see some aerial prowness especially has Pepe was paying special attention to him but none of our midfielders ever tried to put a ball on his head in the box.

Emmanuel Dennis, I guess he's had a reputation going before him of an attitude problem that is detrimental. I wasn't upset with him wanting to take the penalty or missing only because it's a friendly. What is unforgivable though is the capitulation that happened afterwards as guys stopped running allowing our box to be ransacked.

The first half was abysmal, we didn't keep the ball, lots of ball watching, limited contest (perhaps the players were instructed to take it easy and avoid injury for a team heading to WC). One thing tho, the players seemed dedicated to keeping their shape but it did nothing in terms of the objective. Second half was better but lacked incisiveness/penetration in the final third. This is why I'm giving Onuachu credit. Overall, the team lacked a calming influence, our experienced players need to step up in this regard.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Flex Swift wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:00 pm You finger Onauchu but you don’t mention the brilliant performance of Moffi. You don’t even mention the wingers not passing to Onauchu. Fast break Onauchu supported Chukweze who decided to be greedy and shoot from a tight angle. Why would anyone continue to run knowing the wingers never pass.

Free kick on the left Moses should put the ball on Onauchu’s head but passes the ball to the keeper.

The supporting cast in This team are rubbish let’s face the facts. Moses has been rubbish for Nantes this season and Samu is a sub for Villarreal., I don’t know who dash Aribo the number 10 shirt but he play doesn’t support him wearing that shirt (that shirt should be reserved for our best player and he doesn’t come close). Mass clear out is required.
But where are the replacements? Are you ready to wait another 3 - 5 years for the replacements to be built up to the requried level?
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Prof, I agree with your analysis. Having rewatched the game again this afternoon in a calm & objective state, i'll say it isn't all doom & gloom. The firsthalf was a right-off but we were much better in the 2nd half. It also confirms to me that Iwobi and Osimhen are currently OUR BEST PLAYERS! Without those 2 our quality drops rapidly. Ndidi seems to have lost some confidence, Etebo is no longer able to play at this level. We so missed Mikel's abilities in the middle as we have no replacement. Most of our lack of effectiveness is due to a non-functional midfield, there was too much pressure on the defence and very little supply forward. I don't think we have a problem up top (our no 9s are as good as any teams) it's just the supply behind them. Only Iwobi currently creates anything which isn't sustainable. The midfield needs rejigging. I think we need to call up Nwakali, Yusuf & Onyedika. For a game like this, I would have played Onyeka with Ndidi with Iwobi behind Moffi. Henceforth, I will drop the following players - Dennis, Etebo, Shehu & retire Musa. Dennis should no longer be called up, period! Osayi-Samuel has played himself into the team , so there's competition for Aina & Ebuehi of which one will drop. Bassey is still young and will make mistakes but the kid has huge potential. I think Peserio needs atleast one tournament with these players to get them playing how he wants and I guess that will be in Ivory Coast in Jan 2024. I would try Eze again to seen if he would change his mind about England given the current scenario but I won't count on it. The below would be my pool of players going forward

GK:
Uzoho
Okoye
Adeleye
Bankole

DF
Akpoguma
Ekong
Nda
Onyemaechi
Bassey
Aina
Sanusi
Ebuehi
Ajayi

MF
Ndidi
Aribo
Iwobi
Onyeka
Yusuf
Onyedika
Nwakali
Eze (if only)

Wingers
Chukwueze
Simon (will not be a starter)
Ejuke
Lookman

Strikers
Osimhen
Moffi
Onuachu
Awoniyi

Sup Strikers
Iheanacho (only if he starts playing again)
Success
Okereke

Then between now & 2026 add or replace with breakout stars from the U17, U20 or U23.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Adisboy,

I agree with you.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the key players in building this team. The two that you mentioned -- Iwobi and Osimhen -- were on that list. I also included Bassey but his disciplined in gap containment in this game was severely questioned. Was it the fact that he was played wide? I doubt it, given the fact that it was not the first time that he played there at least at the club level and most recently against Ecuador, if I recollect accurately. He just failed to cut it in this game with the NT. On the piece that I referred to, I left out Ndidi and it got several forumers questioning my thinking on that. This game underlines my thinking. Ndidi is no longer what he was in the past. That much should be clear with this game. Now, it may be that his current form reflects a lengthy aberration due to injury. However, I do not think so. I think he is on a downward trajectory but we shall see in the months to come.
Adisboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:33 pm

Prof, I agree with your analysis. Having rewatched the game again this afternoon in a calm & objective state, i'll say it isn't all doom & gloom. The firsthalf was a right-off but we were much better in the 2nd half. It also confirms to me that Iwobi and Osimhen are currently OUR BEST PLAYERS! Without those 2 our quality drops rapidly. Ndidi seems to have lost some confidence, Etebo is no longer able to play at this level. We so missed Mikel's abilities in the middle as we have no replacement. Most of our lack of effectiveness is due to a non-functional midfield, there was too much pressure on the defence and very little supply forward. I don't think we have a problem up top (our no 9s are as good as any teams) it's just the supply behind them. Only Iwobi currently creates anything which isn't sustainable. The midfield needs rejigging. I think we need to call up Nwakali, Yusuf & Onyedika. For a game like this, I would have played Onyeka with Ndidi with Iwobi behind Moffi. Henceforth, I will drop the following players - Dennis, Etebo, Shehu & retire Musa. Dennis should no longer be called up, period! Osayi-Samuel has played himself into the team , so there's competition for Aina & Ebuehi of which one will drop. Bassey is still young and will make mistakes but the kid has huge potential. I think Peserio needs atleast one tournament with these players to get them playing how he wants and I guess that will be in Ivory Coast in Jan 2024. I would try Eze again to seen if he would change his mind about England given the current scenario but I won't count on it. The below would be my pool of players going forward

GK:
Uzoho
Okoye
Adeleye
Bankole

DF
Akpoguma
Ekong
Nda
Onyemaechi
Bassey
Aina
Sanusi
Ebuehi
Ajayi

MF
Ndidi
Aribo
Iwobi
Onyeka
Yusuf
Onyedika
Nwakali
Eze (if only)

Wingers
Chukwueze
Ejuke
Lookman

Strikers
Osimhen
Moffi
Onuachu
Awoniyi

Sup Strikers
Success
Okereke

Then between now & 2026 add or replace with breakout stars from the U17, U20 or U23.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:33 pm

GK:
Uzoho
Okoye
Adeleye
Bankole

DF
Akpoguma
Ekong
Nda
Onyemaechi
Bassey
Aina
Sanusi
Ebuehi
Ajayi

MF
Ndidi
Aribo
Iwobi
Onyeka
Yusuf
Onyedika
Nwakali
Eze (if only)

Wingers
Chukwueze
Ejuke
Lookman

Strikers
Osimhen
Moffi
Onuachu
Awoniyi

Sup Strikers
Success
Okereke

With all these players you will need the right formation to play with a coach that knows Nigeria players, Presario is a waste of money I will prefer eguavoen or amunike,or finidi, or even the bribe man he did try against the costa Rica game under circumstances of hurry home base assemble vs world cup bound team, than preserio if we don't have money to pay the proper coach, i will stick with Nigeria coach, Presario would have shifted to 3 5 2 formations since we have been dominating by Portugal,.rohr did against Argentina in friendly we won under him, you don't play that kind of game[ top friendly] with this formation with 442 or433. even with my united kingdom[FA] under 16/17 coach certificate, I will do better. if you are playing 352 will need proper 2 defensive midfield, aribo,iwobi are attacking midfielders, and even the two wings he used are more likely attacking wingers. like kind of high-caliber game like that he would have converted one of the backs 2 or 3 to a winger to combine 352 formations to work. Also, our NFF whoever chose the coach doesn't help matter is all about business very corrupt government and good football can not exist in Nigeria at the moment, look back at how Keshi and Westhoff won the nation cup, Keshi team blended with a serious home base and dedicated foreign players, even Westerhof team started most from the home base till every one gone to abroad but they were still kept playing together.
thanks
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Seems we (fans) really take these friendlies far too seriously, because if we actually won it somehow the victory would be celebrated for the next decade. Its very pointless trying to scapegoat individual players when the team as a whole were trash and what's worse is we were only able to Organize one friendly match which is pretty unfair to the likes of:

Adeleye, Okoye, Awaziem, Onyemaechi, Duru, Ebuehi and Dessers, who didn't see a second on the field.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

fledy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:57 pm These guys were just not in it today! Just wanted to coast through and go back home! So sad :(
:agree: :agree: :agree: I honestly don't think our players were there to compete. I think they told themselves, 'there is no need for injuries', so let's just be done with it and go home :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:42 am
fledy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:57 pm These guys were just not in it today! Just wanted to coast through and go back home! So sad :(
:agree: :agree: :agree: I honestly don't think our players were there to compete. I think they told themselves, 'there is no need for injuries', so let's just be done with it and go home :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Odas

They competed as best as they could before the collapse late that let in two inexplicable goals. Before then, they were alive and competed.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:50 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:00 pm You finger Onauchu but you don’t mention the brilliant performance of Moffi. You don’t even mention the wingers not passing to Onauchu. Fast break Onauchu supported Chukweze who decided to be greedy and shoot from a tight angle. Why would anyone continue to run knowing the wingers never pass.

But where are the replacements? Are you ready to wait another 3 - 5 years for the replacements to be built up to the requried level?
Wait ke?
There is no such word in the Nigerian football lexicon! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:49 am
Odas

They competed as best as they could before the collapse late that let in two inexplicable goals. Before then, they were alive and competed.
EII,

I feel the same way, but after we missed the penalty, everything changed. What I am yet to convince myself about it all is, had this been a 'world cup' game, would the match have ended the way it did?

Though I doubt the game would have ended in such way, but unfortunately, we will never know. Certainly coach Peseiro have a lot of work to do, and I hope he is on it.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:49 am
Odas

EII,

I feel the same way, but after we missed the penalty, everything changed. What I am yet to convince myself about it all is, had this been a 'world cup' game, would the match have ended the way it did?

Though I doubt the game would have ended in such way, but unfortunately, we will never know. Certainly coach Peseiro have a lot of work to do, and I hope he is on it.
TBH, that pk incidence story has not been fully told. There have been snippets. Think of this, the stories indicate the team had a dedicated pk specialist and it was not Bournaventure. That he grabbed and seized the ball is insubordination. It appeared even the skipper appealed to him to give it up to no avail. Although this is unconfirmed but if it is, then that is gross insubordination. Now, after he failed to convert he appeared to try even harder to make amends but the result was awful with unnecessary solos. Then the rest of the team, perhaps affected by the circumstances let their heads down. The last two goals serve as evidence given their unprofessional and amateurish attempt at defense. While it is unprofessional of the rest of the team, wone can deduce it could have been a psychological consequence of the circumstance that I previously described. Just a thought.