FINIDI: SE Technical Crew to Address Penalty-Taker Controversy......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
FINIDI: SE Technical Crew to Address Penalty-Taker Controversy......

Post by Enugu II »

Super Eagles technical crew to address penalty controversy
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/f ... versy.html
Ekong and Dennis had a little disagreement on who will take a penalty kick during Nigeria's heavy loss to Portugal on Thursday
ByOluwaferanmi Omoniyi November 19, 2022 Reading Time: 2 mins read

The Super Eagles technical crew will find a lasting solution that would avert a repeat of the ugly scene that played up during last Thursday’s friendly game between Nigeria and Portugal, where two players battled each other to take the penalty kick awarded late in the game.

The assistant coach of the Super Eagles, Finidi George, gave this indication during an exclusive interview with PREMIUM TIMES.

The Super Eagles, who were eventually hammered 4-0 by their Portuguese counterparts, were handed a lifeline at 2-0 when debutant Bright Osayi won a penalty kick for Nigeria

However, there was mild drama when both the stand-in captain William Troost-Ekong and Emmanuel Dennis were seen haggling for the ball to take the awarded penalty kick.

Eventually, it was the Nottingham striker who stepped forward for the kick, but even though it appeared to have been well-taken, a slight touch from goalkeeper Rui Patricio, denied Nigeria what could have been their opening goal.

Though Dennis has since been tongue lashed across the social media for his somewhat costly miss, coach Finidi believes missing a penalty kick can happen to the best of players.

The Super Eagles Assistant Coach also assured that specific players will be appointed forehand to take the responsibility of penalty kicks for the national team henceforth.

“I think incidents like that of the penalty taker aren’t going to happen again. Some corrections will definitely be made by the head coach and I think we won’t see such incidents in subsequent games.

“These are the things that happened in games and you keep that in the dressing room. Try to resolve every stuff in the dressing room. Personally, I didn’t think it won’t (would) happen again,” Finidi told PREMIUM TIMES.

Finidi warned that penalty kicks can be missed by even regular takers.

“Even a regular penalty taker can miss, but you have to believe in 2 or 3 to do that. In a team, you must have 1st taker, 2nd and 3rd taker. If one is not playing, the other takes it,” Finidi concluded.

Nigeria’s Super Eagles lost 4-0 in a friendly contest on Thursday night at the Estadio Jose Alvalade against the World Cup-bound Portugal team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FINIDI: SE Technical Crew to Address Penalty-Taker Controversy......

Post by Sunset »

A somewhat similar thing happened at Moses Simon's club last month between him and Egyptian CF Mohamed
Nantes coach warns Mostafa Mohamed over penalty incident
https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsConten ... ty-in.aspx
Ahram Online , Monday 17 Oct 2022
Nantes coach Antoine Kombouare has warned Egyptian striker Mostafa Mohamed against arguing with teammates in future over who takes the penalty kicks.

Egypt's Mostafa Mohamed ends 8-match goal drought as Nantes win in Ligue 1
Nantes beat Brest 4-1 on Sunday, with Mohamed scoring his team’s third goal.

At the beginning of the game, Nantes were awarded a penalty kick that Ludovic Blas took but missed. A second penalty was given to Nantes from which Moses Simon scored a 35th minute equaliser.

Before the penalty Mohamed seemed to argue with Moses about who was going to take the kick.

“I think he wanted to take the penalty. We will have the occasion to talk about it, it took him out of the game for a while though he had a good start. We felt he was disappointed but we had to keep him in the game,” Kombouare told the post-game press conference.

This shouldn’t happen again because we can suffer and even lose a game. This kind of attitude is never good especially in our situation. You must show support and confidence to your teammates. What is more important now is that it didn’t have any grave consequences on the rest of the game,” he added.

Kombouare said, however, that Mohammed's attitude reflected his eagerness to win.

The coach restated the order of players taking penalty kicks. In case a penalty is awarded, Ludovic Blas takes the first shot then Moses Simon, and depending on who is on the field either Mostafa Mohamed or Ganago take the third shot.

Nantes have been struggling since the beginning of the season. Their victory over Brest took them out of the relegation zone. Now they are 14th in the table with 10 points after 11 games.

Since joining Nantes earlier this summer, the Pharaohs' marksman has scored 4 goals in 16 games in all competitions.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Finidi Bert not get too involved in this fiasco otherwise he’ll be blamed the next time we miss a pk. Nigerians are very funny people. There’s a reason people run when police show up at a crime scene. If you’re there you’re probably involved.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The same Finidi was busy fighting with Simon Moses for Pepe's shirt after the game...no shame whatsoever and even more embarrassing for a legend like Finidi smh
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:40 am The same Finidi was busy fighting with Simon Moses for Pepe's shirt after the game...no shame whatsoever and even more embarrassing for a legend like Finidi smh
Ronaldo shirt I get it but Pepe shocked
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

packerland wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:08 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:40 am The same Finidi was busy fighting with Simon Moses for Pepe's shirt after the game...no shame whatsoever and even more embarrassing for a legend like Finidi smh
finidi said it was for his son that asked him to get it, not that they're fighting over it for me no big deal finito is a legend.
thanks
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

delisyomie don wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:40 pm
packerland wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:08 am
finidi said it was for his son that asked him to get it, not that they're fighting over it for me no big deal finito is a legend.
Makes sense. It was ridiculous to claim that Finidi will be fighting for Pepe's shirt. Who the heck is Pepe? :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

It doesn’t really matter why he he was fighting over the shirt. He just shouldn’t have. If his son wanted Pepe’s shirt that badly, he should have bought it for him. I’m quite sure it is sold somewhere. Where is his self respect❓❗️

Cheers.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:00 am It doesn’t really matter why he he was fighting over the shirt. He just shouldn’t have. If his son wanted Pepe’s shirt that badly, he should have bought it for him. I’m quite sure it is sold somewhere. Where is his self respect❓❗️

Cheers.
Our legends are just shameless unfortunately, the likes of JJ, Kanu, Taribo West etc should by now be at the forefront of running our football structure, but they are busy playing BetNaija and chasing after corrupt politicians to endorse, at least the likes of Amunike are even trying smh
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

what is there to be addressed ? these are elementary stuff you have pre-planned already in real serious football nations..... and to set the record straight,. they weren't haggling. King Ekong just wanted to save Denis the embarrassment of ripping the ball off him hence let him have at it
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:00 am It doesn’t really matter why he he was fighting over the shirt. He just shouldn’t have. If his son wanted Pepe’s shirt that badly, he should have bought it for him. I’m quite sure it is sold somewhere. Where is his self respect❓❗️

Cheers.
TTTK

Someone else made a comment similar to yours and I do not agree, for a reason. The shirts are not similar. This is shirt worn by Pepe and the other is bought in a store, a generic. The value is dramatically different. The one worn by Pepe is far more valuable for the fact that he wore it.

Importantly, if Finidi's son wants Pepe's shirt the best person to get it for him is Finidi. Finidi is the ultimate insider here. I really think he did what every Dad should do. He surely did not expect Moses to show up for the same shirt and that a camera would focu s on this incident.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:01 am

Cheers.
TTTK

Someone else made a comment similar to yours and I do not agree, for a reason. The shirts are not similar. This is shirt worn by Pepe and the other is bought in a store, a generic. The value is dramatically different. The one worn by Pepe is far more valuable for the fact that he wore it.

Importantly, if Finidi's son wants Pepe's shirt the best person to get it for him is Finidi. Finidi is the ultimate insider here. I really think he did what every Dad should do. He surely did not expect Moses to show up for the same shirt and that a camera would focu s on this incident.
Enugu even if his son purportedly wanted the shirt and not him saying that to save face, must he be in approval of every hedonic demand of his son talk much go all out to the ends of the earth to silver-spoon feed him at all cost irrespective of who gets hurt in the process. When you are national figure the least you could do is don’t disgrace your nation. Common men!!!!
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

It's obvious that there are issues with discipline in the squad. From the squabble over taking the penalty to the scrabble for Pepe's shirt
The last captain to have any authority in the SE was Mikel and I'm sure Dennis would not have tried that nonsense with him.
The reason is that from Christain Chukwu to Stephen Keshi to Mikel, our captains have always had a stature that commanded respect. They played at a higher level than most of their teammates and had achieved a lot in the game. The same cannot be said of Ekong, a championship player trying to instruct Dennis, an EPL player. It's the Nigerian way of reasoning based on hierarchy, so there was always going to be problems.
As for Moses Simon, the fact that he could not let go of the shirt after a legend like Finidi wanted it, says a lot about the attitude of the players towards the coaches. If Finidi can be treated with such disrespect then one can imagine how the other local coaches without Finidi's profile are treated by the players.
I am happy
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Exactly as I thought. They hadn't addressed it properly before hand which is very worrying.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:22 am As for Moses Simon, the fact that he could not let go of the shirt after a legend like Finidi wanted it, says a lot about the attitude of the players towards the coaches. If Finidi can be treated with such disrespect then one can imagine how the other local coaches without Finidi's profile are treated by the players.
Wait. Finidi was fighting Simon Moses for Pepe's shirt? Is that what I'm hearing? Grand Uncle Finidi?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the whole debacle shows how dysfunctional our football house is.
In a stable atmosphere, a penalty taker is determined before a match.
As for the Pepe uniform, Finidi should have bought one for his son and find Pepe to sign it for him. No one will go around saying this is not genuine.
We are simply dysfunctional. I don't see any remedy any time soon for SE football.
We may scrape thru, or even miss out at next afcon and world cup qualifications.
The whole mess is glaring. Damn.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:48 am
Dammy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:22 am As for Moses Simon, the fact that he could not let go of the shirt after a legend like Finidi wanted it, says a lot about the attitude of the players towards the coaches. If Finidi can be treated with such disrespect then one can imagine how the other local coaches without Finidi's profile are treated by the players.
Wait. Finidi was fighting Simon Moses for Pepe's shirt? Is that what I'm hearing? Grand Uncle Finidi?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I’ve not seen the video but I’d be immediately suspicious of the word “fighting”. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I really can’t imagine Finidi throwing a punch in the direction of Moses, who dodged it and as Finidi momentarily lost balance, Moses stuck out a leg to trip Finidi over. As Finidi went down he grabbed at Moses’ shorts and they both collapsed in a heap. Thank God, Moses was wearing quality jockstraps.
The younger, fitter Moses jumped up first, grabbed the shirt, gave the still prone Finidi one final vicious knock-out kick in the chest and ran off.They say the whole Portuguese team were consoling Finidi, who they consider to be a true legend, especially as he kept their own national hero, Luiz Figo from being named the world’s best right winger back in the day

But that’s what someone said happened, though I’m not sure this my Nigerian ‘sauce’ actually saw the video because he avoided the question when I asked him.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

I saw that! Pepe the thug? What an embarassment from Finidi! What is his position again? Fighting over a useless player like Pepe's shirt! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kai, see how conversation dey migrate. Naa waaao. Me sef come follow am migrate. From penalty issue to shirt dragging.

Abeg, wet in una tink of the penalty issue. Na I'm be de topic.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:55 pm
I’ve not seen the video but I’d be immediately suspicious of the word “fighting”. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I really can’t imagine Finidi throwing a punch in the direction of Moses, who dodged it and as Finidi momentarily lost balance, Moses stuck out a leg to trip Finidi over. As Finidi went down he grabbed at Moses’ shorts and they both collapsed in a heap. Thank God, Moses was wearing quality jockstraps.
The younger, fitter Moses jumped up first, grabbed the shirt, gave the still prone Finidi one final vicious knock-out kick in the chest and ran off.They say the whole Portuguese team were consoling Finidi, who they consider to be a true legend, especially as he kept their own national hero, Luiz Figo from being named the world’s best right winger back in the day

But that’s what someone said happened, though I’m not sure this my Nigerian ‘sauce’ actually saw the video because he avoided the question when I asked him.
Even if they were bickering it wouldn't be a good look for Finidi. What kind of behaviour is that?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:12 pm
Damunk wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Even if they were bickering it wouldn't be a good look for Finidi. What kind of behaviour is that?
Look at this cursed prostitute with damaged womb :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:01 am

Cheers.
TTTK

EII,

The crucial question is, Should Finidi put his son’s needs ahead of a player who just toiled hard for the team and deserves to enjoy the benefits of inter-player cooperation manifested in shirt exchanges between players?

If the player in question gives up the shirt out of the goodness of his heart, fine but anything short of that is undesirable. Finidi should have pleaded for the shirt with the player in private❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Dammy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:22 am It's obvious that there are issues with discipline in the squad. From the squabble over taking the penalty to the scrabble for Pepe's shirt
The last captain to have any authority in the SE was Mikel and I'm sure Dennis would not have tried that nonsense with him.
The reason is that from Christain Chukwu to Stephen Keshi to Mikel, our captains have always had a stature that commanded respect. They played at a higher level than most of their teammates and had achieved a lot in the game. The same cannot be said of Ekong, a championship player trying to instruct Dennis, an EPL player. It's the Nigerian way of reasoning based on hierarchy, so there was always going to be problems.
As for Moses Simon, the fact that he could not let go of the shirt after a legend like Finidi wanted it, says a lot about the attitude of the players towards the coaches. If Finidi can be treated with such disrespect then one can imagine how the other local coaches without Finidi's profile are treated by the players.
Finidi disrespected himself. He should have appealed to Simon, in private, to let him have the shirt❗️

Cheers.