So who are we supporting today?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: So who are we supporting today?

Post by Mr. Piffington »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 pm Morocco all the way. Can't believe you all are rooting for France.
Can't wrap my head around some people can support France, the colonial country of west Africa. I guess having a few black faces is good enough.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:42 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:25 pm My heart is going for France and my head for Morocco.
I was supporting both teams. But will now support France. Argentina will make a joke out of Morocco.
Nah.
Argentina would never have been able to ‘joke’ with Morocco.
Nigeria has met Argentina several times at the WC, and it has always been hard work for them.
Morocco deserved their place in the SF and France could easily have been on their way home with Morocco benefitting from some good fortune.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am
Tobi17 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:25 pm My heart is going for France and my head for Morocco.
I was supporting both teams. But will now support France. Argentina will make a joke out of Morocco.
Nah.
Nigeria has met Argentina several times at the WC, and it has always been hard work for them.
Morocco deserved their place in the SF and France could easily have been on their way home with Morocco benefitting from some good fortune.
It wouldn't have been a close final o! When small teams punch above their weight, they eventually get to a point where they suffer a catastrophic collapse, as we saw with Senegal and Croatia. Even the 2-0 defeat was somewhat of a collapse, considering Morocco's previous results in this competition and hardly conceding any goals.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Orion wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:06 am
Nah.
It wouldn't have been a close final o! When small teams punch above their weight, they eventually get to a point where they suffer a catastrophic collapse, as we saw with Senegal and Croatia. Even the 2-0 defeat was somewhat of a collapse, considering Morocco's previous results in this competition and hardly conceding any goals.
Damunk,
I have to agree with Orion about this! Small teams eventually collapse especially when the fat lady sings, and the Cinderella run comes to a crashing halt! Morocco was punching above its weight. Their coach used a rarely used but effective tactic. Gather players from the diaspora who have no fear or inferiority complex and promise them heaven and they will play their hearts out! We saw this with Senegal 2002. Those dudes like Papa Boup, Khadiga and Diouf et al were living in French ghettos (mostly Marseille). Not sure about the 90's Cameroon team or the 94 Naija team. But the first hurdle is the psychological one. This may explain why Nigeria and most African teams run to Oyinbo coaches. Once Oyibo coach is onboard, the Naija players no longer fear European or South American teams. Try this with a local coach and see fire! :taunt:
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:06 pm
Nah.
Damunk,
I have to agree with Orion about this! Small teams eventually collapse especially when the fat lady sings, and the Cinderella run comes to a crashing halt! Morocco was punching above its weight. Their coach used a rarely used but effective tactic. Gather players from the diaspora who have no fear or inferiority complex and promise them heaven and they will play their hearts out! We saw this with Senegal 2002. Those dudes like Papa Boup, Khadiga and Diouf et al were living in French ghettos (mostly Marseille). Not sure about the 90's Cameroon team or the 94 Naija team. But the first hurdle is the psychological one. This may explain why Nigeria and most African teams run to Oyinbo coaches. Once Oyibo coach is onboard, the Naija players no longer fear European or South American teams. Try this with a local coach and see fire! :taunt:

Just for the record, Croatia is no small team. Since 1994, we've taken out Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, England, Denmark, even France in this year's Euro Nations.

Yes, we were beaten by Argentina 3-0, but context matters. We got shafted by an early goal, made some bad mistakes...but last WC we beat a younger Messi and Argentina by the same 3-0 score, actually fighting biased ref.

So...is Argentina a small team because they got found out and lost to Croatia last WC? Or when we beat Germany 3-0 in the 1998 WC semifinal?

Abeg. Croatia is no small team.

:taunt:
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

mate wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:33 pm
Nah.

Damunk,

Just for the record, Croatia is no small team. Since 1994, we've taken out Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, England, Denmark, even France in this year's Euro Nations.

Yes, we were beaten by Argentina 3-0, but context matters. We got shafted by an early goal, made some bad mistakes...but last WC we beat a younger Messi and Argentina by the same 3-0 score, actually fighting biased ref.

So...is Argentina a small team because they got found out and lost to Croatia last WC? Or when we beat Germany 3-0 in the 1998 WC semifinal?

Remember the 2018 final? that was also a collapse.

If it wasn't for the French goalie dashing you guys a free goal towards the end, it would have been a 4-1 defeat.

Croatia is NOT a small team. Agreed. But at that level, i.e. World Cup final, they were punching above their weight.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Nah.
Damunk,

Let me get this straight. Croatia was formed from the former Yugoslavia, right? With Tito at the helm? If so, folks still think it's a tiny country. They were a dark horse in the previous World Cup. Their team has been playing together for close to 15 years. But they have a psychological barrier. No team in Eastern Europe has ever won the World Cup. What happened to your team this year was an older Croatian team and a smarter Argentine team. Referees are human beings. I saw refusing to call fouls on England's Saka. The same ref never issued a single Yellow card when USA met England!
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Orion wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:41 pm
Nah.

Damunk,

Remember the 2018 final? that was also a collapse.

If it wasn't for the French goalie dashing you guys a free goal towards the end, it would have been a 4-1 defeat.

Croatia is NOT a small team. Agreed. But at that level, i.e. World Cup final, they were punching above their weight.

Just like against Argentina, call the game fairly.

We suffered 2 bad calls and a 2 goal handicap against France in 2018. Griezmann dove to get that 1st free kick on an own goal...even announcer said it was shameful and pretty obvious. Never mind the BS handball on Perisic.

The better teams won...but please, don't discount the officiating, which made the results wider than they might have been.

:)

You know very well what you'd be saying if it were Nigeria getting the same treatment against Argentina and France. You have some history here...and it sucks, but is what it is.

Croatia and Nigeria have to in most cases be a good clip better to beat Argentina and France because of some bias. Again, in our case, it made our losses sometimes look worse. Anyways, I am glad you agree Croatia is not a small team.

:)
Pax Americana...Wither Now?