Marcotti DEFENDS the 48-team World Cup coming in 2026

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Marcotti DEFENDS the 48-team World Cup coming in 2026

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i agree with this, the excuse about quality is BS
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: Marcotti DEFENDS the 48-team World Cup coming in 2026

Post by Synopsis »

Have you ever seen Iraq, Syria, Vietnam, Tahiti play football? Because there’s a good chance you will see those teams in 2026.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Synopsis wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:09 pm Have you ever seen Iraq, Syria, Vietnam, Tahiti play football? Because there’s a good chance you will see those teams in 2026.
once in a while try as much as possible to think and research before you post

5 time world champ

SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Typical FIFA, you have the best quality of football ever and immediately do everything to ruin the next one.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

From an African perspective I think this gets you 4 of Algeria, Egypt, CIV, South Africa, DRC and maybe a wildcard and that’s no dilution whatsoever. All final 10 African qualifiers for the last knockout round were pretty much World Cup ready sides.

It’s a good thing for Africa.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Imagine the following CAF teams at a world cup all at the same time...
Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia
Cameroon
Nigeria
Algeria
Ivory coast
Egypt
ghana

One makes it via the playoffs
Mali, Burkina Faso, DR.Congo, Zambia, SouthAfrica
SuperEagles

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Synopsis wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:09 pm Have you ever seen Iraq, Syria, Vietnam, Tahiti play football? Because there’s a good chance you will see those teams in 2026.

Kpom! Adding more teams will give countries that usually don’t qualify a chance to be a part of the WC but it also lowers the standard for qualification. Even Marcortti admits as much by stressing the sentimental reasons for expansion. However, making it easier for the likes of Nigeria, CIV and Syria won’t change their fortune in the competition. They’ll be back home the same time they usually get home unless they improve.
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:45 pm

Kpom! Adding more teams will give countries that usually don’t qualify a chance to be a part of the WC but it also lowers the standard for qualification. Even Marcortti admits as much by stressing the sentimental reasons for expansion. However, making it easier for the likes of Nigeria, CIV and Syria won’t change their fortune in the competition. They’ll be back home the same time they usually get home unless they improve.
I think you’ll have 4 or 5 additional genuine weak teams but on the whole that’s ok. Most of the teams as he points out that will take up the space will be just as good as those in the 32. I can think of 4-6 in africa alone. Add Italy, Norway, Sweden, Columbia, Turkey and you’re genuinely not lowering the quality.

And you’re also increasing the chance of a Morocco to break through.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:30 pm Imagine the following CAF teams at a world cup all at the same time...
Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia
Cameroon
Nigeria
Algeria
Ivory coast
Egypt
ghana

Why did you put Ghana in small letter?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle, should we just go back to when the tournament had 16 teams and Africa had one team? I am sure some would argue the quality of football was the best then also.
kalani JR wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:31 pm Typical FIFA, you have the best quality of football ever and immediately do everything to ruin the next one.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

CAF

CAF is the biggest beneficiary of World Cup expansion as it will have more slots than any continent except Europe. If the 48 team World Cup had started in 2022, CAF's additional qualifiers would have been Algeria 🇩🇿 (Mahrez), Egypt 🇪🇬 (Salah), Mali 🇲🇱 (Haidara), and Nigeria 🇳🇬 (Osimhen). Those would be seriously dangerous additions and I cannot imagine that any opposition teams would be pleased at having to face those players at the World Cup.

Plus (unlike other continents), you can double the number of CAF qualifiers without a serious diminution in quality.

UEFA

Europe’s additional qualifiers would have been North Macedonia 🇲🇰 , Sweden 🇸🇪 , and Ukraine 🇺🇦 (European champions Italy still would not have qualified in a World Cup with 16 additional teams!). 😆

The problems are in CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, and Oceania.

CONMEBOL

60% of South American teams will qualify for the World Cup: meaning that bizarrely, it will be harder for a team not to qualify than it actually is to qualify.

OCEANIA

New Zealand 🇳🇿 will almost certainly always qualify because the strongest team in its region (Australia) left Oceania to join Asia. This means that New Zealand will get lots of “free hits” against Fiji, Samoa etc (who will not qualify despite what an earlier poster said).

CONCACAF

CONCACAF will get an entirely underserved 6 teams (AKA Canada 🇨🇦 , USA 🇺🇸, Mexico 🇲🇽 , and a few emerging Caribbean teams).
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

1naija wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:39 am Uncle, should we just go back to when the tournament had 16 teams and Africa had one team? I am sure some would argue the quality of football was the best then also.
kalani JR wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:31 pm Typical FIFA, you have the best quality of football ever and immediately do everything to ruin the next one.
In my heart of hearts, yes but I would have had three African teams and the placements would have been similar to the Olympics. I think 32 was a good medium between expanding the game and maintaining the integrity.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

kalani JR wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:30 am
1naija wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:39 am Uncle, should we just go back to when the tournament had 16 teams and Africa had one team? I am sure some would argue the quality of football was the best then also.
In my heart of hearts, yes but I would have had three African teams and the placements would have been similar to the Olympics. I think 32 was a good medium between expanding the game and maintaining the integrity.
I agree. 32 is the ideal number.

I think qualifying could be made more exciting so that there's a guaranteed number of spots but then intercontinental qualifiers used to decide a handful.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

waka-man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:18 pm From an African perspective I think this gets you 4 of Algeria, Egypt, CIV, South Africa, DRC and maybe a wildcard and that’s no dilution whatsoever. All final 10 African qualifiers for the last knockout round were pretty much World Cup ready sides.

Naija no reach last WC too.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

folem wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm
waka-man wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:18 pm From an African perspective I think this gets you 4 of Algeria, Egypt, CIV, South Africa, DRC and maybe a wildcard and that’s no dilution whatsoever. All final 10 African qualifiers for the last knockout round were pretty much World Cup ready sides.

Naija no reach last WC too.
I’m still in De Nile
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Why 3 in the first place. Lets kuku give the African spots to Europe so the likes of Estonia, Belarus, and Latvia can show us top quality soccer.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

1naija wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:47 pm Why 3 in the first place. Lets kuku give the African spots to Europe so the likes of Estonia, Belarus, and Latvia can show us top quality soccer.
I only had three for Europe, three for Africa, three for South America and Asia two for CONCACAF and South America, one for Oceania.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:30 pm Imagine the following CAF teams at a world cup all at the same time...
Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia
Cameroon
Nigeria
Algeria
Ivory coast
Egypt
ghana

Patrick Motsepe, CAF President, can't be possibly pleased with this scenario. One East African, one South African, and one Central African country has to be guaranteed a spot from this expansion. $9million+ for just showing face at the mundial? Spread the game, spread the dividends of Infantino's vision. Football everywhere!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

OJI wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:40 pm
Morocco
Senegal
Tunisia
Cameroon
Nigeria
Algeria
Ivory coast
Egypt
ghana

Patrick Motsepe, CAF President, can't be possibly pleased with this scenario. One East African, one South African, and one Central African country has to be guaranteed a spot from this expansion. $9million+ for just showing face at the mundial? Spread the game, spread the dividends of Infantino's vision. Football everywhere!
yeap, he is going to pull the same WAFU or regional qualifiers..
SuperEagles

oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

The finalists in the continental championships like AFCON, EURO etc if it occurred within 2 yrs before the world cup should get automatic qualifications.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

oscar52 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:02 pm The finalists in the continental championships like AFCON, EURO etc if it occurred within 2 yrs before the world cup should get automatic qualifications.
so how will the 9th and playoff team be picked from AFCON?
SuperEagles

akamoke

Post by akamoke »

oscar52 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:02 pm The finalists in the continental championships like AFCON, EURO etc if it occurred within 2 yrs before the world cup should get automatic qualifications.
My only concern here is you want to keep the teams competition ready

This is why they scrapped the idea of defending champions getting a bye for WC qualifiers, these teams may get rusty

Even if Nigeria wins the Afcon, I still want them to compete for the World cup during qualifiers, it will get them battle redy
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

These guys are actually serious sha. 48 teams?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet