Claudio Reyna was blackmailing US Coach Berhalter

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Claudio Reyna was blackmailing US Coach Berhalter

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Claudio Reyna is of Argentine descent. What is it with that country Argentina and voluminous production of scumbags? :curse:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/04/claudio-r ... l-attempt/

It appears we have a major U.S. soccer scandal on our hands.

Claudio Reyna, former American and international club soccer star and father of current USMNT player Gio Reyna, and his wife Daneille were the ones who threatened to reveal a troubling incident involving current head coach Gregg Berhalter from when he was 18 years old to U.S. soccer executives, according to a report by ESPN.

The call took place on Dec. 11, per ESPN. Danielle confirmed in a statement to FOX Sports that she reported the incident to USSF sporting director Earnie Stewart not long after the ESPN report went live.

The incident in question was a decades-old act of domestic violence in which Berhalter kicked his now-wife, Rosalind. Berhalter shared his accounting of the story in a lengthy statement released Tuesday, in which he admitted to wrongdoing in 1991 when he was 18. Berhalter identified an “individual” who contacted U.S. Soccer in “an apparent effort to leverage something very personal from long ago” in an attempt to get him fired.

Now, we apparently know who that individual was. And it came after Claudio and Danielle’s son, Gio, appeared to get on the wrong side of Berhalter during the Americans’ run at the 2022 Qatar World Cup.

Berhalter reportedly told Gio that he would have a limited role before the tournament started and followed through on his promise. Reyna only logged 53 minutes total in the World Cup across two games, with zero starts.

After the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, Berhalter spoke at the HOW Institute for Society’s Summit on Moral Leadership and mentioned that he “had a player that was clearly not meeting expectations on and off the field.” He did not mention Reyna by name, but it was widely assumed that the 19-year-old Borussia Dortmund star was the culprit. The next day, Gio Reyna confirmed it.

It was around the same time that the parents called U.S. Soccer – with, Berhalter claims, the intent of getting him fired.

Berhalter and Claudio Reyna – a decorated player in U.S. soccer, having been a part of the 1998, 2002 and 2008 American World Cup teams – have a relationship that spans decades. The two played soccer together as far back as their youth and high school leagues and overlapped on the national team for over a decade. The two wives, Danielle and Rosalind, were also soccer teammates at the University of North Carolina.

The conflict is clearly personal – and the Reynas appear to have succeeded in damaging Berhalter’s reputation. On Wednesday, U.S. Soccer announced that it would be assistant coach Anthony Hudson, not Berhalter, that would lead a January camp in California as the investigation continues.

Wha choo looking at?!
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Claudio Reyna was blackmailing US Coach Berhalter

Post by joao »

Maybe Claudio Reyna is looking to take over the USMT soccer manager assignment.
He will need lots of luck to be successful.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Not sure this is blackmail. Maybe I missed it in the article, what were the Reynas asking in return for keeping the damaging information secret?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:35 am Not sure this is blackmail. Maybe I missed it in the article, what were the Reynas asking in return for keeping the damaging information secret?
Oga you wan mek I nak am for pidgin? :mrgreen: They wanted Berhalter to give their son more playing time at the WC. That did not happen, so they released the info they were sitting on to try to get Berhalter fired.
Berhalter reportedly told Gio that he would have a limited role before the tournament started and followed through on his promise. Reyna only logged 53 minutes total in the World Cup across two games, with zero starts.
After the U.S. was eliminated from the World Cup, Berhalter spoke at the HOW Institute for Society’s Summit on Moral Leadership and mentioned that he “had a player that was clearly not meeting expectations on and off the field.” He did not mention Reyna by name, but it was widely assumed that the 19-year-old Borussia Dortmund star was the culprit. The next day, Gio Reyna confirmed it.

It was around the same time that the parents called U.S. Soccer – with, Berhalter claims, the intent of getting him fired.

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

This is truly disgraceful conduct by the Reynas.
Talk about a sense of entitlement...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Can't believe what the Reynas did. I've never been a fan of Berhalter, but this is trash behavior. Good luck now getting their son a fair shake.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
lionga
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:33 pm Claudio Reyna is of Argentine descent. What is it with that country Argentina and voluminous production of scumbags? :curse:
General Scip abeg lef hand for Argentina :rotf: tok true, this is 100% purebrand American skulduggery and you know it :taunt:
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

mate wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:02 am Can't believe what the Reynas did. I've never been a fan of Berhalter, but this is trash behavior. Good luck now getting their son a fair shake.
My first thought too on the fair shake part.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

this is a misleading thread title to say the least.

i knew things like this go on at the youth level but goodness.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

My only dog in this fight is that the USA have the best coach. Ill might be wrong, but I say Berhalter should not be retained. He made some critical coaching and leadership errors.

1) He told Gio he'd have a limited role. No need for this. We've all played and know this is just a bad approach, as you never know how circumstances can change in a tournament.

2) He had Gio apologize to the entire team when Gio acted like a brat during practices. Again, a seasoned leader doesn't make it a community, I dare say woke, matter. Sit his #$% in a room with assistances and maybe the captain and flesh it out...sending the player home if there is no resolution.

3) He leaked all this to the press. Look, he betrayed locker room trust. Berhalter knew what he was doing.

Now with all this latest drama, I think Berhalter has compromised himself. As have the Reynas and Gio, as what they did is classless. Gio better become a really good player or he won't get that fair shake going forward.

The only silver lining in all this: hell, Americans care about football!!!

We've arrived!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

mate wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:00 pm My only dog in this fight is that the USA have the best coach. Ill might be wrong, but I say Berhalter should not be retained. He made some critical coaching and leadership errors.

1) He told Gio he'd have a limited role. No need for this. We've all played and know this is just a bad approach, as you never know how circumstances can change in a tournament.

2) He had Gio apologize to the entire team when Gio acted like a brat during practices. Again, a seasoned leader doesn't make it a community, I dare say woke, matter. Sit his #$% in a room with assistances and maybe the captain and flesh it out...sending the player home if there is no resolution.

3) He leaked all this to the press. Look, he betrayed locker room trust. Berhalter knew what he was doing.

Now with all this latest drama, I think Berhalter has compromised himself. As have the Reynas and Gio, as what they did is classless. Gio better become a really good player or he won't get that fair shake going forward.

We've arrived!!!

hahaha I think your pts 2 and 3 may tie - since it was public - i think its plausible that someone else leaked it to the press.

The boy had better be a incarnation of Pele ... few coaches will want anything to do with him after this. He is toxic [ family i.e ] ...maybe his dad gets the job ... Berhalter is not getting that job renewed.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

lionga wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:23 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:33 pm Claudio Reyna is of Argentine descent. What is it with that country Argentina and voluminous production of scumbags? :curse:
General Scip abeg lef hand for Argentina :rotf: tok true, this is 100% purebrand American skulduggery and you know it :taunt:
:mrgreen: OK you got me. You're right. :laugh: This is a uniquely American behavioral trait.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... amily-feud

Soccer parents gone wild: behind the stunning Reyna-Berhalter family feud

Anybody familiar with the entitlement typical of American youth soccer parents probably recognizes something in the squabble that’s thrust the US men’s program into turmoil

US soccer has many forces acting against its success. The country shunned the sport after the 1930s, leaving a men’s national team withering and winless. Even after years of progress, soccer lags behind indigenous sports in a crowded marketplace.

Add one more powerful force to that list.

Entitlement.

Also add its close cousin, snowplow parenting, a term referring to those parents who knock down any obstacle standing in front of their kids.

The obstacle du jour is Gregg Berhalter, the once and possibly future men’s national team head coach. The parents are Hall of Fame player Claudio Reyna and his wife, Danielle, a roommate and teammate of Berhalter’s wife at the University of North Carolina’s storied women’s soccer program.

And the child, though he’s 20 years old, is Gio Reyna, the Borussia Dortmund attacker who sulked for a few days after Berhalter told him he’d have a limited role at the World Cup. Reyna did come around eventually, and he played the second half when the US were eliminated from the World Cup in a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands.

On Tuesday, Berhalter released a statement admitting he had kicked his future wife’s legs in an alcohol-fueled argument in 1991, when they were both University of North Carolina student-athletes. He added these startling words: “During the World Cup, an individual contacted US Soccer, saying they had information about me that would ‘take me down.’”

To the surprise of absolutely no one, the Reyna family admitted on Wednesday that they had told the federation about the 31-year-old incident, though they denied making any sort of threat. They had opportunity, given that Claudio Reyna and Berhalter were national teammates of the USSF sporting director, Earnie Stewart, and the US men’s general manager, Brian McBride. And they had motive, given not only Gio Reyna’s scant playing time but also Berhalter’s comments at a 6 December conference on moral leadership, in which he said he nearly expelled a player during the World Cup before reconciling.

The contents of that conference were not intended to be made public. Nor did Berhalter name the player in question. And yet Gio Reyna all but confirmed the next day that he was said player, and Danielle Reyna confirmed on Wednesday that the comments motivated her to reveal the 1991 Berhalter incident, which she says was worse than Berhalter is letting on.

On Tuesday, the same day Berhalter released his statement, US Soccer alerted the public, saying they hired outside investigators as soon as they learned of the incident, on 11 December. That investigation has since morphed: “Through this process, US Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organization.”

Beleaguered US Soccer officials, already accustomed to being either the referee, the instigator or the instigated in controversies big and small, declined on a Wednesday conference call to give more detail.

In short: the Reynas said nothing about a physical fight between Berhalter and his future wife for more than three decades but mentioned it to US Soccer officials after learning that Berhalter had mentioned in a private conference that he had since-resolved issues with a player he didn’t identify who got scant playing time for most of the World Cup.

In other words, the Reynas acted like typical soccer parents in the US.

Every youth soccer parent, coach and referee knows these parents. They’re the ones who gush about their kid’s new youth club in August and then rant against it when they leave in May. They’re the ones who intimidate coaches into substitutions at nearly every stoppage in play, lest a player be left on the sideline longer than a few minutes. They’re the ones who gossip on anonymous message boards to trash coaches and clubs.

To be sure, complaints about playing time in sports aren’t exactly breaking news. But if there was a World Cup for such griping, the US would surely have a crowded trophy case.

Woe be unto the coach who keeps the wrong player out of the lineup of any team from under-9s to the national teams, men and women.

Woe be unto the referee who crosses a women’s national team player who feels emboldened by a sycophantic fanbase not just to argue with referees but to humiliate them.

Woe be unto the youth soccer coach who fails to achieve the sometimes-incompatible goals of winning trophies and developing children into prized players who can earn everything from a spot on the local high school varsity to a professional opportunity.

This is, after all, a country in which parents took advantage of preferential college admissions for athletes by fabricating their children’s exploits, part of a series of events exposed under the catch-all title Operation Varsity Blues.

It’s also a country in which players grow up and see nothing wrong with taking a staggering 90% of the prize money the men earned in the 2022 World Cup and the women will earn in the 2023 World Cup, all while grassroots organizations seethe at seeing the rich get richer. (At a media teleconference on the agreement, I asked representatives from both teams if they plan on building bridges with those who work with youth and amateurs. Silence.)

And it’s a culture that rewards players who don’t think they need to listen to coaches or critics. In women’s soccer, the fanbase has adopted the attitude that players are always right, while coaches, league officials and referees are always wrong. In men’s soccer, players are less immune to criticism but have come up through a youth system that all too often pampered them, perhaps to the detriment of their performance.

“Are you going to continue to be a bunch of soft, underperforming, tattooed millionaires?” Alexi Lalas asked in 2017 when the men were teetering on the edge of World Cup qualifying failure.

But ultimately, it comes back to the parents. Not every parent. Not every player. But too many.

The investigation of Berhalter and any related business may take months. In the meantime, US Soccer must decide whether to offer Berhalter a new contract or look elsewhere. The federation has already shown it can drag out such decisions for more than a year.

And so in dragging down Berhalter, the Reynas may also drag down the federation that Claudio Reyna once represented so well and Gio Reyna may yet do the same. Those who are involved with youth soccer have seen it all before. The ironic aspect of the term “snowplow parent” is that those snowplows leave behind scorched earth.

At the heart of the matter here are two families, once closely intertwined, torn apart by an argument over playing time and a player’s attitude.

Just like we see in youth soccer every day.

Wha choo looking at?!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Typical soccer parents?

Try typical AMERICAN PARENTS!!! Period.

:rotf:

Many Americans have become soft, whinny, entitled, and spoiled. Sports, romance, pay, benefits, finance, friendships...it's always somebody else's fault.

And if they don't get what they want, they go nuclear.

:boo:

I just hope we get a good coach. This team has a solid foundation of players that can be developed. I'm not saying Team USA are world beaters, but this is a team that can aspire for a WC quarterfinal in 2026 if the said development happens.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:46 am
danfo driver wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:35 am Not sure this is blackmail. Maybe I missed it in the article, what were the Reynas asking in return for keeping the damaging information secret?
Oga you wan mek I nak am for pidgin? :mrgreen: They wanted Berhalter to give their son more playing time at the WC. That did not happen, so they released the info they were sitting on to try to get Berhalter fired.

Maybe the article isnt written properly. Blackmail has a legal definition.

1. Are you saying that there was a threat by the Reyna's to reveal this information? And
2. The Reyna's told Berhalter that in exchange for their son's playing time, they will withhold the information?

The way you described it -

1. Belhalter did not play their son; and
2. They revealed the information

Does not rise to the threshold of "blackmail."

Thats why I asked.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:50 pm Typical soccer parents?

Try typical AMERICAN PARENTS!!! Period.

:rotf:

Many Americans have become soft, whinny, entitled, and spoiled. Sports, romance, pay, benefits, finance, friendships...it's always somebody else's fault.

And if they don't get what they want, they go nuclear.

:boo:

I just hope we get a good coach. This team has a solid foundation of players that can be developed. I'm not saying Team USA are world beaters, but this is a team that can aspire for a WC quarterfinal in 2026 if the said development happens.
:clap: :clap:

Tell me about it. I only have one quibble with your excellent summary. They don't go nuclear, they go on a shooting spree! :woot:

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 pm

1. Are you saying that there was a threat by the Reyna's to reveal this information? And
2. The Reyna's told Berhalter that in exchange for their son's playing time, they will withhold the information?

Thats why I asked.
Yes you are right technically, but technicality does not make a story sweet now, haba! :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the Reynas are a ffuckedup bunch. Berhalter has ran his course as a coach, hired since 2018 and his contract was up Dec 31, he should move on get a job somewhere else.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

danfo driver wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:14 pm

Thats why I asked.
They contacted Belhalter during the WC. My guess is that was when they warned him that if he doesn’t play Gio they will reveal some stuff about him. That might make sense why Belhalter went public with the reason why Gio was benched (he Belhalter talked alot after the WC). Now I realize that his talking after the WC was strategic. It won’t make sense for him not to play one of his star players. The Public will demand a reason and a coach at the end of his contract is obliged to comply.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

mcal wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:46 pm ...the Reynas are a ffuckedup bunch. Berhalter has ran his course as a coach, hired since 2018 and his contract was up Dec 31, he should move on get a job somewhere else.
Not a lot of MLS coaching job will pay him 1.2 million plus incentives per year. Europe doesn’t respect American coaches. Look at Jesse March, he has a good record in Europe but they still tab him with the Ted Lasso jokes.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

Typical American sporting parent behaviour. Disgusting.

The Reyna family should be forced to apologise to US Soccer and the Mens team publicly. Gio was not only a brat in practice, he was also a brat on the field against the Netherlands, just standing around. Entitlement.
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

mate wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:00 pm My only dog in this fight is that the USA have the best coach. Ill might be wrong, but I say Berhalter should not be retained. He made some critical coaching and leadership errors.

We've arrived!!!

1 is okay. There is nothing wrong with discussing expectations with a player, but entitled players like Reyna will take it the wrong way. I remember Mourinho and the entitled Danny Rose in the Amazon documentary on Tottenham Hotspurs, such conversations are needed, else the player might be wondering why they are not playing.

I do not think 2 is a mistake. If I was on the team, I would like a public apology from a player who is not putting in the required effort. It is indeed a "community," which is why we have a team.

3 is speculation. We do not know who leaked this to the press.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Donzman wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 am

We've arrived!!!

1 is okay. There is nothing wrong with discussing expectations with a player, but entitled players like Reyna will take it the wrong way. I remember Mourinho and the entitled Danny Rose in the Amazon documentary on Tottenham Hotspurs, such conversations are needed, else the player might be wondering why they are not playing.

I do not think 2 is a mistake. If I was on the team, I would like a public apology from a player who is not putting in the required effort. It is indeed a "community," which is why we have a team.

Berhalter discussed Gio in anonymous context. That was at best ignorance, but most likely deliberate. Of course people will put 2+2 together and leak it.

As to coaching, I disagree totally. Again, don’t make it a communal Kumbaya affair. Be a leader and deal with entitled brats. Instead of hiding behind the collective. This episode is what’s wrong with rank and file these days.

BTW: Croatian coaches actually do this right. They send trouble makers home. Rebic was the most in form striker but was told to apologize for insulting the coach publicly. He refused and didn’t go to the WC. Modric as captain was the only player consulted.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mate wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:02 am
Donzman wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 am

We've arrived!!!

Berhalter discussed Gio in anonymous context. That was at best ignorance, but most likely deliberate. Of course people will put 2+2 together and leak it.

As to coaching, I disagree totally. Again, don’t make it a communal Kumbaya affair. Be a leader and deal with entitled brats. Instead of hiding behind the collective. This episode is what’s wrong with rank and file these days.

BTW: Croatian coaches actually do this right. They send trouble makers home. Rebic was the most in form striker but was told to apologize for insulting the coach publicly. He refused and didn’t go to the WC. Modric as captain was the only player consulted.

Different coaches have different approaches. That is what you must keep in mind.

In the US sports culture, bringing it to the group was a valid approach, even if its not the only one. His rationale was that the belligerence pretty much played out in front of the entire group. He addressed it first with his coaching staff, then brought it to the entire group subsequently...

Tim Ream in a subsequent stated that the manner in which this was handled was pretty much routine in the way the players saw it in the Doha US camp.

As for GB bringing this into the leadership webinar, he was pretty naïve in expecting that it would remain confidential. You can discuss this in an abstract sense without revealing that it occurred in the WC camp.

Was very naïve of him...

Still does not justify the "Karen" mentality of Gio's mom.
This is the kind of entitlement behavior black men have suffered from for generations...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp