Didier Deschamps: France coach extends contract to 2026

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Didier Deschamps: France coach extends contract to 2026

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64196792

Didier Deschamps has extended his contract as France head coach until June 2026 and is expected to remain in charge for a fourth World Cup.

He led France to World Cup victory in 2018 and to the 2022 final in Qatar, which they lost to Argentina.

Since the 54-year-old former Chelsea midfielder took charge in 2012, France have also reached the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals and 2016 Euros final.

Deschamps has won 89, drawn 28 and lost 22 of his 139 matches in charge.

The France Football Federation said assistant coach Guy Stephan, goalkeeping coach Franck Raviot and physical trainer Cyril Moine will also remain with the national team.

Deschamps, who also won the World Cup as a player in 1998, helped France win the Nations League in 2021.

His most recent contract - signed in December 2019 - took him up to the end of the 2022 World Cup.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joplass
Egg
Egg
Re: Didier Deschamps: France coach extends contract to 2026

Post by joplass »

He should have left. He cost this WC to France.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

joplass wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:13 pm He should have left. He cost this WC to France.
I used to think so, but he did the best he could under the circumstances. Illness, many key players injured etc. Not his fault that Dumbele chose to fall into the trap set by the snake Di Maria and gift Argentina a fake PK to start the game.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

joplass wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:13 pm He should have left. He cost this WC to France.
5 tourneys as France Coach
WC 2014 : Quarter-finalist
Euro 2016 ( Finalist lost via PK )
WC 2018 ( Winners)
Euro 2020 (Round 16 Lost Via PK)
WC 2022 ( Finalist lost via PK)

that is a damnnn good coach
SuperEagles

joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:19 pm
I used to think so, but he did the best he could under the circumstances. Illness, many key players injured etc. Not his fault that Dumbele chose to fall into the trap set by the snake Di Maria and gift Argentina a fake PK to start the game.
For me just the way he dealt with Benzema. How do you kick a ballon d'or off the team in a WC? Girou and Griezman told him they don't want Benzema and he used Benzema's minor muscle injury to send him home. Then the way he set up his team to play for the first 80 minutes of the final.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Lol..they did Zidane dirty ! he wanted that Job and they did him wayo
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

joplass wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:08 pm
For me just the way he dealt with Benzema. How do you kick a ballon d'or off the team in a WC? Girou and Griezman told him they don't want Benzema and he used Benzema's minor muscle injury to send him home. Then the way he set up his team to play for the first 80 minutes of the final.
Benzema was on the team in WC 2014. How far did France get then? You don't want a disruptive influence on the team. As far as how he set the team up to play in the final, his options were limited by sickness and injury.

Wha choo looking at?!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:23 pm
5 tourneys as France Coach
WC 2014 : Quarter-finalist
Euro 2016 ( Finalist lost via PK )
WC 2018 ( Winners)
Euro 2020 (Round 16 Lost Via PK)
WC 2022 ( Finalist lost via PK)

that is a damnnn good coach

I'd also like us to weigh in the amount of talent he has to choose from, France is loaded
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Do you think it is a good idea to get rid of a coach who:

*just led his team to their 3rd final in the last 4 tournaments, and a 2nd consecutive World Cup final; and

*whose record at the World Cup as a player and coach reads:

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated
-only 3 games lost (1 was on penalties in the final, a second was a quarter-final, and the other was a dead rubber match after his team already qualified for round 2 and he played the B team)
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

wiseone wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:22 pm Do you think it is a good idea to get rid of a coach who:

*just led his team to their 3rd final in the last 4 tournaments, and a 2nd consecutive World Cup final; and

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated
-only 3 games lost (1 was on penalties in the final, a second was a quarter-final, and the other was a dead rubber match after his team already qualified for round 2 and he played the B team)
With all due respect, with all the talent France has at its disposal, winning only one tournament is a sackable performance ... sorry not impressed. Just me opining.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Siddonlook11 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:32 am Lol..they did Zidane dirty ! he wanted that Job and they did him wayo
That walala is big in France right now. Le Graet could be losing his job. He came up with some racist and disrespectful stuff about Zizou over the weekend. The way they have been treated Benzema and now Zidane, something is up.

Some are saying that Mbappe has the power now to have Le Graet facing the exist and they are asking Mbappe to not only condemn Le Great like he did on twitter but to help get rid of him.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Sleaky72 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:11 pm
wiseone wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:22 pm Do you think it is a good idea to get rid of a coach who:

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated
With all due respect, with all the talent France has at its disposal, winning only one tournament is a sackable performance ... sorry not impressed. Just me opining.
I agree 100%.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated
Now you're being unreasonable. Is it only France that has talent? There are tons of teams that have top level talent too. They didn't come to the WC to sell granut. How many WCs did Ronaldo (the original one), and Ronaldinho win? They were on outrageously talented teams too! You just saw the almighty(according to some who shall remain unnamed) Messi win one WC after 5 attempts and you want Deschamps to use the likes of Kolo Muani and Dumbele to win 10 WCs?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We all come from countries that will probably never smell a WC in our lifetimes and yet here we are huffing and puffing and insulting a multiple WC winner (as player and coach). Africans! Cheiiiiii!!! :woot: :woot:

Wha choo looking at?!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

He did not have “all the talent” available to him though. 6 members of his first choice starting 11 (54% of the team) were injured. He was without:

-Benzema
-Kante
-Pogba
-Hernandez
-Nkunku
-Varane (arrived injured, missed the start of the WC, and then played the rest of the tournament half fit, and the final with a virus) 🦠

…yet he still reached the final and nearly won the World Cup! 😳
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

benteke wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:47 am
I'd also like us to weigh in the amount of talent he has to choose from, France is loaded
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

My goodness, there are some utterly insane posts on this thread. Only Nigerians would advocate the firing of a coach who has been in three World Cup finals, reached the final of 3 of the last 4 tournaments he has managed in, and lost only 3 World Cup matches in nearly 25 years.

🤦🏽
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

wiseone wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:40 am My goodness, there are some utterly insane posts on this thread. Only Nigerians would advocate the firing of a coach who has won been in three World Cup finals, reached the final of 3 of the last 4 tournaments he has managed in, and lost only 3 World Cup matches in nearly 25 years.

🤦🏽
Many Nigerians (and Africans) are simply delusional on this topic. Delusional with a capital D! Even more laughable considering the far, far inferior footballing achievements of Nigeria and other countries represented in this cacophony of delusional posts, compared to Deschamps' France.

Wha choo looking at?!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:03 am
wiseone wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:40 am My goodness, there are some utterly insane posts on this thread. Only Nigerians would advocate the firing of a coach who has won been in three World Cup finals, reached the final of 3 of the last 4 tournaments he has managed in, and lost only 3 World Cup matches in nearly 25 years.

🤦🏽
Many Nigerians (and Africans) are simply delusional on this topic. Delusional with a capital D! Even more laughable considering the far, far inferior footballing achievements of Nigeria and other countries represented in this cacophony of delusional posts, compared to Deschamps' France.
Its sometimes good to see things from other perspective without categorizing them as delusional - i speak for myself however when i say Deschamps should step down when the ovation is loudest and let zizou ( yes ) zizou I am biased becaus ehe is the most african of the white french lot and should be the one managing the african freench team to great heughts yes i talk am. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Plus I suspect Zizou and Benzema dramas are connected - I also don't feel Deschamps treated Benzema well ..i also think the short white French player that tried to take Benzema down with blackmail allegations was pushed to do so by same white french people who wanted Giroud to be the main focus of the team. :drool: :drool: :

Oya come box me for nose :taunt:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

🤦🏽
I think you two can make your points while leaving name calling on check.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

joplass wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:04 pm

🤦🏽
I think you two can make your points while leaving name calling on check.
No name calling here. If you make a delusional post I will identify it as such.

Criticizing the best international coach of the last 10 years, Msieu D. Deschamps for his stellar record with France IS delusional. Name an international coach in the last 10 years that has performed as well as he has. Name just one.

Nobody is calling out the coaches who have crashed out of the WC several times with practically the starting lineups of Bayern, Real and Barcelona. Una just dey open mouth gboa gboa about talent. Na only France wey get talent? Mscheww!!!

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Siddonlook11 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:42 pm

🤦🏽
Its sometimes good to see things from other perspective without categorizing them as delusional - i speak for myself however when i say Deschamps should step down when the ovation is loudest and let zizou ( yes ) zizou I am biased becaus ehe is the most african of the white french lot and should be the one managing the african freench team to great heughts yes i talk am. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Plus I suspect Zizou and Benzema dramas are connected - I also don't feel Deschamps treated Benzema well ..i also think the short white French player that tried to take Benzema down with blackmail allegations was pushed to do so by same white french people who wanted Giroud to be the main focus of the team. :drool: :drool: :

Oya come box me for nose :taunt:
I am happy you acknowledge that Msieu. D. Deschamps deserves an ovation. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deschamps stepping down to try other challenges is something else, but you can't criticize his man-management skills. I doubt Zizou is on his level in terms of man management. The same Benzema was in the team when they crashed out of WC 2014 and Euro 2021, while he wasn't on the team the times they reached the finals of 3 major tournaments. Everything else na 'tori.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Joplass and sleaky made some very strange post here. Left to me Deschamps is a worldclass coach. He also took lowly rated monaco to the champs league final
SuperEagles

joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:05 am Joplass and sleaky made some very strange post here. Left to me Deschamps is a worldclass coach. He also took lowly rated monaco to the champs league final
Show me a strange post.

The president of the French federation was just fired. Yes, Le Graet is gone.