Didier Deschamps: France coach extends contract to 2026

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
joplass
Egg
Egg
Re: Didier Deschamps: France coach extends contract to 2026

Post by joplass »

By the way I never said Deschamps is not a good coach but he is not a great coach. Currently France has the best crop of players in the world.

Deschamps let his senior players influenced his choices at the recent WC just like we do in Africa. That is the only point I am trying to make.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

joplass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:14 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:05 am Joplass and sleaky made some very strange post here. Left to me Deschamps is a worldclass coach. He also took lowly rated monaco to the champs league final
Show me a strange post.

The president of the French federation was just fired. Yes, Le Graet is gone.
For making racist comments

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

joplass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:17 pm By the way I never said Deschamps is not a good coach but he is not a great coach. Currently France has the best crop of players in the world.

Deschamps let his senior players influenced his choices at the recent WC just like we do in Africa. That is the only point I am trying to make.
I don't know how you guys come up with this. Based on what? Player valuations? Number of UEFA champions league wins? Domestic league wins? How do you guys come up with this? Please tell me. I would really like to know.

Wha choo looking at?!
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:08 pm
joplass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:17 pm By the way I never said Deschamps is not a good coach but he is not a great coach. Currently France has the best crop of players in the world.

I don't know how you guys come up with this. Based on what? Player valuations? Number of UEFA champions league wins? Domestic league wins? How do you guys come up with this? Please tell me. I would really like to know.
For me observing their national team since 2018. They almost won this WC with unknown young players.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

joplass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:39 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:08 pm

For me observing their national team since 2018. They almost won this WC with unknown young players.
THAT’S your reason for declaring that France has more talent than everyone else? That they ALMOST won the WC with UNKNOWN young players? I guess the coach had nothing to do with it? You don’t KNOW the players but in all your wisdom you declare them the most talented in the world without knowing them?

How about the team that ACTUALLY won the WC with many unknown players, including one playing in the MLS? Surely using your criteria Argentina have the most talented players in the world, not France

Wha choo looking at?!
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

wiseone wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:40 am My goodness, there are some utterly insane posts on this thread. Only Nigerians would advocate the firing of a coach who has been in three World Cup finals, reached the final of 3 of the last 4 tournaments he has managed in, and lost only 3 World Cup matches in nearly 25 years.

🤦🏽
Wiseone,
What point are you struggling with?
The man has won one tournament, period!
With all the talent at France’s disposal with this generation, that’s unacceptable.
Sorry, you can’t see that.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:33 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:11 pm
wiseone wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:22 pm Do you think it is a good idea to get rid of a coach who:

*just led his team to their 3rd final in the last 4 tournaments, and a 2nd consecutive World Cup final; and

*whose record at the World Cup as a player and coach reads:

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated
-only 3 games lost (1 was on penalties in the final, a second was a quarter-final, and the other was a dead rubber match after his team already qualified for round 2 and he played the B team)
joplass wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:13 pm He should have left. He cost this WC to France.
With all due respect, with all the talent France has at its disposal, winning only one tournament is a sackable performance ... sorry not impressed. Just me opining.
Now you're being unreasonable. Is it only France that has talent? There are tons of teams that have top level talent too. They didn't come to the WC to sell granut. How many WCs did Ronaldo (the original one), and Ronaldinho win? They were on outrageously talented teams too! You just saw the almighty(according to some who shall remain unnamed) Messi win one WC after 5 attempts and you want Deschamps to use the likes of Kolo Muani and Dumbele to win 10 WCs?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We all come from countries that will probably never smell a WC in our lifetimes and yet here we are huffing and puffing and insulting a multiple WC winner (as player and coach). Africans! Cheiiiiii!!! :woot: :woot:
Chief, my guy, I’m not following you.

You asked, “is it only france that has talent”?
No, but who else has comparable talent in the world? Brazil might be the only close one.
You then gave the example of Messi. Well we are talking about squad depth and you mentioned one player, so I don’t understand your angle my man.

Bottom line is that he’s won one title. With all the talent at his disposal, I don’t think that’s good enough. Why is that so stomach churning here my man
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sleaky72 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:53 am
wiseone wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:22 pm Do you think it is a good idea to get rid of a coach who:

*just led his team to their 3rd final in the last 4 tournaments, and a 2nd consecutive World Cup final; and

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated
-only 3 games lost (1 was on penalties in the final, a second was a quarter-final, and the other was a dead rubber match after his team already qualified for round 2 and he played the B team)
joplass wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:13 pm He should have left. He cost this WC to France.
With all due respect, with all the talent France has at its disposal, winning only one tournament is a sackable performance ... sorry not impressed. Just me opining.
Now you're being unreasonable. Is it only France that has talent? There are tons of teams that have top level talent too. They didn't come to the WC to sell granut. How many WCs did Ronaldo (the original one), and Ronaldinho win? They were on outrageously talented teams too! You just saw the almighty(according to some who shall remain unnamed) Messi win one WC after 5 attempts and you want Deschamps to use the likes of Kolo Muani and Dumbele to win 10 WCs?

We all come from countries that will probably never smell a WC in our lifetimes and yet here we are huffing and puffing and insulting a multiple WC winner (as player and coach). Africans! Cheiiiiii!!! :woot: :woot:

No, but who else has comparable talent in the world? Brazil might be the only close one.
You then gave the example of Messi. Well we are talking about squad depth and you mentioned one player, so I don’t understand your angle my man.

Bottom line is that he’s won one title. With all the talent at his disposal, I don’t think that’s good enough. Why is that so stomach churning here my man
I don' t think France's talent level is appreciably more than that of Spain, or Portugal, or Brazil, or Germany, or Argentina. Hell even England. Several France players ply their trade in Italy and mid table teams in Germany, not exactly the strongest leagues. Their 'keeper is at Spurs for goodness sakes.

Winning one title is more than good enough. Greats like Cryuff, Platini, Rummenigge, Maldini, Baggio, Simeone, Batistuta, Zanetti, Sensini, Cantona, Papin etc did not win a single WC. Legends like the original Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Romario, Zidane, Henry, Klinsmann etc only won one WC and you are demanding more than one WC from Deschamps? Who born am?

Wha choo looking at?!
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:00 pm

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated

I don' t think France's talent level is appreciably more than that of Spain, or Portugal, or Brazil, or Germany, or Argentina. Hell even England. Several France players ply their trade in Italy and mid table teams in Germany, not exactly the strongest leagues. Their 'keeper is at Spurs for goodness sakes.

Winning one title is more than good enough. Greats like Cryuff, Platini, Rummenigge, Maldini, Baggio, Simeone, Batistuta, Zanetti, Sensini, Cantona, Papin etc did not win a single WC. Legends like the original Brazilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Romario, Zidane, Henry, Klinsmann etc only won one WC and you are demanding more than one WC from Deschamps? Who born am?
Chief why do you keep isolating players when we are talking about a coach and squad of talent?
And in what world would you compare French talent since the time we’ve been judging D2 to that of Germany and Spain? And you also added England? Chief put down the bottle lol. Stop please.

The man has lost far more than he has won. He has under-achieved Period! But I respect your right to an opinion, we just differ
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sleaky72 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:00 pm

-Played 25 games
-22 games undefeated

Chief why do you keep isolating players when we are talking about a coach and squad of talent?
And in what world would you compare French talent since the time we’ve been judging D2 to that of Germany and Spain? And you also added England? Chief put down the bottle lol. Stop please.

The man has lost far more than he has won. He has under-achieved Period! But I respect your right to an opinion, we just differ
Isn’t a squad made up of individual players?
How is French talent better than Spanish or German talent? Main keeper at Spurs, Muani at Eintracht, Rabiot and Hernandez plugging away in Serie A, and this is the squad that is head and shoulders above countries whose starting lineup is heavily drawn from the likes of Bayern, Real and Barca? Fa fa fa fawuuuulll!!

By the way this is Deschamps’ record as coach:
Appointed on 9 July 2012 by Noël Le Graët, Didier Deschamps has an exceptional record at the head of the national team with 89 wins, 28 draws and 22 losses in 139 matches, [with] 279 goals scored and 119 conceded.
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/20 ... until-2026

For you to say that Deschamps has lost far more than he has won shows that you are not operating in the realm of reality. 22 is far more than 89? Hiaaa!!! Jakande schools don come again o! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I would tell you to take your own advice and not only put down the bottle but also whatever it is you are smoking :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Yikes Scipio, you are all over the map.
When I talk of D2 losing more than he has won, who is referring to his overall record??? Based on overall record then put Roberto Martinez up on Mount Olympus then, Jeez!

The biggest argument for his supporters have been his record in major tournaments since he lost @ home to Portugal, and clearly I was referring to his record recent major tournaments. But you are all over dance floor… Yikes! Major tournament performance are the yardstick for ranking international managers and not sum total of games won or lost. Again put down the bottle lol.

You still can’t get the point of individual talent vs a squad. Again I will point it out clearly. Why are you mentioning individual superstars? Fball is a team game! With talent available to France, winning just one major tournament is not good enough, Period!

Citing Spain and Germany’s talent in a comparison is a joke. I’m not even gonna address that my friend. Anyway this is a bridge to nowhere. Catch ya later. I’m out.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Took them to a second straight final while missing half of his potential starting outfield. People's main opposition to this is that they don't like his football or wanted to see Zidane, which is why Le Graet (foolishly) said what he said but his record is solid enough for him to keep his job.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sleaky72 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:25 pm Yikes Scipio, you are all over the map.
When I talk of D2 losing more than he has won, who is referring to his overall record??? Based on overall record then put Roberto Martinez up on Mount Olympus then, Jeez!

The biggest argument for his supporters have been his record in major tournaments since he lost @ home to Portugal, and clearly I was referring to his record recent major tournaments. But you are all over dance floor… Yikes! Major tournament performance are the yardstick for ranking international managers and not sum total of games won or lost. Again put down the bottle lol.

You still can’t get the point of individual talent vs a squad. Again I will point it out clearly. Why are you mentioning individual superstars? Fball is a team game! With talent available to France, winning just one major tournament is not good enough, Period!

Citing Spain and Germany’s talent in a comparison is a joke. I’m not even gonna address that my friend. Anyway this is a bridge to nowhere. Catch ya later. I’m out.
Like I said you aren’t operating from a base in reality. DD’s major tournament record which you just criticized is second to none in the past 10 years. Second to none!

I’m still waiting for you to prove to me how France has talent above and beyond everyone else, but you keep dancing ajasco around the point and throwing around basketfuls of red herrings.

Give it up. Your argument is not based in reality.

Wha choo looking at?!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »