Senegalese athletes angered by World Cup bonuses

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Senegalese athletes angered by World Cup bonuses

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/63994617

The decision by President Macky Sall to pay Senegal's football squad its World Cup bonus despite the team not hitting its target has caused anger for some in the West African nation.

The African champions had been tasked with reaching the quarter-finals but bowed out in the second round after a 3-0 defeat by England.

"We will fully pay the qualification bonuses for the quarter-finals for the whole official delegation," Sall announced two days later.

The World Cup bonuses - which come out of the pool of nearly $23m (£19m) unlocked by the Senegalese government to cover the World Cup costs - will differ depending on the involvement of the 26 players in the entire campaign, including qualifying.

However, some former players and other Senegalese sportsmen have questioned the move.

"If you win you must be rewarded, but if you lose you must learn from it," former Teranga Lions forward Diomansy Kamara told local newspaper Stades.

Despite its generous nature, Sall's decision was even less favourably received by athletes from other sports who traditionally have to fight to fund their own participation in competitions.

Small bonuses, long wait
Hamadel Ndiaye is a Senegalese triathlon champion trying to reach the world series and qualify for the Olympics but despite working as a cameraman in London to help with costs, he has often been unable to afford flights that would have enabled him to compete.

ADVERTISEMENT

He admits to feeling put out when learning that supporters would have free passage to watch the Teranga Lions in Qatar.

"Firstly, I was disturbed when I heard the story about the nice amount of money unlocked to bring fans to Qatar," the former swimmer, 26, told BBC Sport Africa.

"In both 2019 and 2021, I wanted to participate in a race but the flight ticket to Dakar was $850 (£705) and I needed to pay another $120 (£100) for my bicycle as extra luggage but I couldn't afford this.

"Sometimes we have to wait until the last minute to know if we can participate or not."

Senegalese triathlon champion Hamadel Ndiaye
Senegalese triathlon champion Hamadel Ndiaye
Ndiaye's viewpoint is backed by up athlete Sangone Kandji, who represents Senegal in the triple jump and says such situations are happening far too often, preventing athletes from "acclimatising" at event venues and thus affecting results.

"This year, at the Islamic Solidarity Games, we arrived late in Konya and one of the athletes landed the day before his race. Those things need to be reviewed so that we can help the athlete to recover (from their trips)."

After her triple jump title at June's African Athletics Championships in Mauritius, Kandji adds she was rewarded with a "modest sum".

Olympian Ndeye Binta Ndiongue is a Senegalese fencer also fighting to earn a living, and who was only paid last year for results-related bonuses dating back over a decade to 2008.

"This year, I won the bronze medal at the African championship and the bonuses are yet to come my way," she told BBC Sport Africa.

"(The funds for football) bring frustration even if I understand that it brings sponsors and excitement to the whole country."

According to Ndiongue, a Senegalese gold medal holder in fencing is awarded roughly $650 (£539)after a continental title, a sum likely to be dwarfed by that received by the footballers.

'Ministry of Football?'
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Senegalese athletes angered by World Cup bonuses

Post by Comrade Machel »

Nonsense. They deserve nothing :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

The stupidity of Africans. How does kicking out against the bonuses paid to Senegalese footballers help your cause❓❗️

Cheers.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:07 am The stupidity of Africans. How does kicking out against the bonuses paid to Senegalese footballers help your cause❓❗️

Cheers.
I don't see how this defines the "stupidity of Africans"
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

akamoke wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:55 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:07 am The stupidity of Africans. How does kicking out against the bonuses paid to Senegalese footballers help your cause❓❗️

Cheers.
To each his own❗️

Cheers.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:00 am

Cheers.
To each his own❗️

Cheers.
Indeed :thumb:
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Cheers.
:D
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q