Morocco Appreciation

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

camex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Morocco Appreciation

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:53 am :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Morocco have shown us that:
  • 1. Sustained investment in logistics and infrastructure works.
  • 2. A “local” coach can get the job done.
But how many of these players actually started their carreer in Morocco? You should give some credits to the european countries where most of these players learned the game too.

That said that was a fantastic performance by Morrocco and I hope that at the next world cup another africn country reaches that level of the competition.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

• 3. Belief in oneself goes a long way.
I saw an Oliseh video on one WhatsApp group where Oliseh challenged the notion that African teams going to the WC were not mature enough to win the trophy.

I believe that video was 4 years ago.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Conveniently overlooking the impetus of a nation’s support. Sports psychology is deep in literature with regard to the “12th man”. Morocco’s support stretched beyond the borders of countries and continents. One need only look at Iran, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia’s response to defeating Western. Those matches meant much more than 3 points or progression.

The much maligned Qatar World Cup, with much of the disdain towards it stemming from ethnocentrism and Islamophobia, desperately needed an Arabian Knight to emerge from the crowd and battle valiantly against the green eyed ghouls and goblins of Western ideology. The support Morocco received was as partisan as that of a home crowd. No African side representing Africa alone, will ever get the same. The South African World Cup is testament to that fact.

Sans the 12th man, repeating this achievement will be as Sisyphean a task as Sisyphus and the boulder.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And of course, credit given where credit due. To consider Morocco’s achievement easily replicated by other African sides is to dismiss the comparative advantages held. Ziyech’s submission of his entire World Cup salary to charity says a lot. The stereotypical attributes were not as omnipresent in the Atlas lions den.

Well done to Morocco.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

greg wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:43 am And they were not even African champs. This goes to show that teams from a region that hosts the World Cup tend to perform higher than expected. Same thing happened to Korea when they hosted. I am confident that other well supported Arab teams like Algeria and Egypt will have gone very far too if they made it.
Care to explain what happened to Tunisia?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

How many of these morrocans players started their carreers in Morocco? Europe most take some credit for this victory too.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

camex wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:14 pm
How many of these morrocans players started their carreers in Morocco? Europe most take some credit for this victory too.
True, as long as France also gives credit to Africa for unearthing a sizeable portion of their players...believe me I get your point, not trying to be silly
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

akamoke wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:18 pm
True, as long as France also gives credit to Africa for unearthing a sizeable portion of their players...believe me I get your point, not trying to be silly

I honestly get a nice smile from this kind of discussion.

:)

It's complicated. Africa? Europe? Arabia? Morocco? Human?

For me at least, it ultimately is that specific team, understanding identity is stratified within an enveloping human identity.

Morocco is simply a good team and I appreciate that. I think it's great that they get so much pride from this...as well as anybody else for whatever reason.

Finally...I always look to learn from any successful team. Morocco, France, Argentina? How can their success help my team?
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mate wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:23 pm

For me at least, it ultimately is that specific team, understanding identity is stratified within an enveloping human identity.

Morocco is simply a good team and I appreciate that. I think it's great that they get so much pride from this...as well as anybody else for whatever reason.

Finally...I always look to learn from any successful team. Morocco, France, Argentina? How can their success help my team?
Morocco, like Croatia, lacked a Mandžukić upfront. :thumbs:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

camex wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:55 am
But how many of these players actually started their carreer in Morocco? You should give some credits to the european countries where most of these players learned the game too.

That said that was a fantastic performance by Morrocco and I hope that at the next world cup another africn country reaches that level of the competition.
Yes, big European born and trained contingent on the team. But a significant number of key players are products of the Moroccan football system.

-En-Nesyri (striker who scored against Portugal) is Moroccan born and product of their top football academy
-Ounahi Moroccan born and product of the same Mohamed IV football academy
-Aguerd (West Ham CB) product of Mohamed IV football academy
-Bouno the keeper product of Wydad youth academy
-Attiat-Allah (played against France and started against Portugal) left back who currently plays domestically with Wydad
-Dari (starting CB yesterday) product of Wydad youth academy
-El-Yamiq ( starting CB against Portugal and France) product of Khouribga youth academy in Morocco

The real story is that they successfully merged the two talent sources.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

cchinukw wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 pm
I saw an Oliseh video on one WhatsApp group where Oliseh challenged the notion that African teams going to the WC were not mature enough to win the trophy.

Japan yet to reach WC semi-finals.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

folem wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:00 am
cchinukw wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:23 pm

Japan yet to reach WC quarter-finals or semi-finals.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Kabalega wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:51 pm
mate wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:23 pm

Morocco, like Croatia, lacked a Mandžukić upfront. :thumbs:

I've been conceding this point all WC.

Morocco and Croatia both got lucky to some degree, but still have good quality.

We're not the big boys...yet.

Pax Americana...Wither Now?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Congrats to Azzadine Ounahi who has joined Marseille. Not bad for a player who was playing 3rd division football less than 2 years ago.

Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

€8m fee plus €2m add ons?????????? peanuts!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

West Ham have got themselves a proper player in Nayef Aguerd. It is a big shame that he was injured for Morocco’s 🇲🇦 last 2 games of the World Cup. His replacement El Yamiq made the mistake that led to Antoine Griezmann’s opening goal in the semi-final for France. 🇫🇷

Second best tackle of the season after Aaron Wan-Bissaka on Zaha: