NIGERIA’s STRIKER DOMINANT PROBLEM NOTED (VIDEO)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
NIGERIA’s STRIKER DOMINANT PROBLEM NOTED (VIDEO)

Post by jette1 »

make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA’s STRIKER DOMINANT PROBLEM NOTED (VIDEO)

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Unrealistic expectations is our biggest problem with all these strikers playing well at the same time. We basically have 5 strikers of top quality but we still need to develop a team out of it and that takes trial and error, time.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:21 am Unrealistic expectations is our biggest problem with all these strikers playing well at the same time. We basically have 5 strikers of top quality but we still need to develop a team out of it and that takes trial and error, time.
So where is the unrealistic expectation?
Just about everyone is saying exactly the same thing you are saying.
All that is happening is people are trying to figure out a way of making the best use of what we know we actually have.

I saw a video in one of the threads here in which some guy was talking about ‘relativism’ as a new strategy.
It is something like the Dutch ‘total football’ of the 80s.
Maybe we need to deploy it in a limited context in which instead of having ‘false 9s’, we have interchangeable ‘false AMs’ played by the real 9s which we obviously have in abundance.
But which of them can do that best, and how do we optimise them?
That’s the sweet headache.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:21 am Unrealistic expectations is our biggest problem with all these strikers playing well at the same time. We basically have 5 strikers of top quality but we still need to develop a team out of it and that takes trial and error, time.
All that is happening is people are trying to figure out a way of making the best use of what we know we actually have.

I saw a video in one of the threads here in which some guy was talking about ‘relativism’ as a new strategy.
Maybe we need to deploy it in a limited context in which instead of having ‘false 9s’, we have interchangeable ‘false AMs’ played by the real 9s which we obviously have in abundance.
Finally you've called out Kogi , glad you can see how he makes no sense especially coming up with alternatives, he is the only CE who is so negative ..every single post of his has a negative vibe to it .

Now following up on your interchangeable false AMs, this is a very good idea. I think we can deploy Orban, Moffi or even Boniface( he drifts wide sometimes). You can see from his stats as far as assists. I am also paying attention to most of our strikers who creates opportunities for team mates. For Me Our Osimhen must remain as the central attacker, none can press like him .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

jette1 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:51 am Our one sided team noted

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxVXcvFv ... BiNWFlZA==
nah real wah. Goals are very important, but clean sheets do win championships...kai we have to figure how to capitalize on these strikers and use them for our benefits while ensuring the other parts of the team are as good as they are
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Are we really overloaded with strikers in the SE? As far I am concerned, only one striker is really dominant for the SE. Moffi has shown promise with 3 goals in 10 appearances For Nigeria, but the rest have been slightly better than garbage for Nigeria. Scoring 1.25 goals in nearly 500 minutes can hardly be described as being dominant for Nigeria. All our opponents need to do double team Osimhen and we will struggle to score.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

What I don't want to happen is that we just give up and ignore the depth.

I would rather we failed trying to figure it out. Whatever we do, let us TRY.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:25 pm Are we really overloaded with strikers in the SE? As far I am concerned, only one striker is really dominant for the SE. Moffi has shown promise with 3 goals in 10 appearances For Nigeria, but the rest have been slightly better than garbage for Nigeria. Scoring 1.25 goals in nearly 500 minutes can hardly be described as being dominant for Nigeria. All our opponents need to do double team Osimhen and we will struggle to score.

It is early days. Even Osimhen nobody was raving about in for the SE in the early days. This is facts. I could prove it, but I trust that you will admit that I am being truthful. All I would have to do is dig up the threads lol.

It is early days. It is POSSIBLE that Osimhen will not end up our most reliable striker. I am not saying it is likely (I bank on Osimhen), I am just saying it is not as set in stone as many seem to think. The competition are definitely comparable. This is not a case of trying to compare Akpala to Yekini. It is more like comparing Mikel to Okocha or Sunday Oliseh or Rufai with Enyeama or Shorunmu. In short, the comparison can be made.

It is POSSIBLE that Boniface will become bigger than Osimhen for club and country. I honestly believe that, it is POSSIBLE for all our strikers to go in many different directions. What we need to do is to let things play out, rather than FORCE things. That is the Nigerian mentality of trying to FORCE positions rather than EARN it. If Osimhen becomes our greatest ever, that is wonderful, but like everyone else, he will have to EARN it. He cannot demand it.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

My point is, we are not really overloaded with strikers as everyone is claiming. The fact is, we have always had strikers doing well for their clubs, but those performances have not always translated into success for Nigeria. Just a couple of years ago, we had Onuachu, Onyekuru, Ighalo, Dessers, Emmanuel Dennis, Okereke, and Osimhen all firing on all cylinders for their clubs, but only Ighalo and Osimhen were able to deliver similar performances for Nigeria.

As far as I am concerned, until proven otherwise, the only credible strikers we have for the Super Eagles are Osimhen and Moffi. The rest are just potentials. So, we do not have a striker dominant problem for the Super Eagles!
Tbite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:35 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:25 pm Are we really overloaded with strikers in the SE? As far I am concerned, only one striker is really dominant for the SE. Moffi has shown promise with 3 goals in 10 appearances For Nigeria, but the rest have been slightly better than garbage for Nigeria. Scoring 1.25 goals in nearly 500 minutes can hardly be described as being dominant for Nigeria. All our opponents need to do double team Osimhen and we will struggle to score.

It is early days. Even Osimhen nobody was raving about in for the SE in the early days. This is facts. I could prove it, but I trust that you will admit that I am being truthful. All I would have to do is dig up the threads lol.

It is early days. It is POSSIBLE that Osimhen will not end up our most reliable striker. I am not saying it is likely (I bank on Osimhen), I am just saying it is not as set in stone as many seem to think. The competition are definitely comparable. This is not a case of trying to compare Akpala to Yekini. It is more like comparing Mikel to Okocha or Sunday Oliseh or Rufai with Enyeama or Shorunmu. In short, the comparison can be made.

It is POSSIBLE that Boniface will become bigger than Osimhen for club and country. I honestly believe that, it is POSSIBLE for all our strikers to go in many different directions. What we need to do is to let things play out, rather than FORCE things. That is the Nigerian mentality of trying to FORCE positions rather than EARN it. If Osimhen becomes our greatest ever, that is wonderful, but like everyone else, he will have to EARN it. He cannot demand it.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Good discussion.

Awoniyi is at an age (26) where we can predict that he could go on to be a really good striker, but much harder to believe he will be one of the world’s best. Please don’t read that as me talking him down. I am so impressed with him and think there’s still more to come.

Osimhen has had a worldie season and is of an age where you can see him get better and better. This is a really important year for him. And it’s Napoli so far not looking anything like last season, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to his stock. I’d put money on him.

Boniface is the real x-factor. He’s raw as hell but already proving a force. He has so many weapons. He could have the kind of season Osimhen had last year. And he’s still only 22

Moffi is the enigmatic one for me. He’s as gifted as Boniface and just as unplayable on his day. Is he in the right environment? Is he consistent enough? He’s only 6 months younger than Osimhen although at 24 he has time to get a lot better. But we need to see him do what we know he can do consistently over the course of a season.

The only other striker that fits in this conversation is Orban and he’s the one that could go anywhere. He’s had a fairytale-like 9 months. Billy Boots level stuff. I’m not even sure we know his best position. He has the potential the partner any of the above in a classic little and large front two, or to develop into a devastating attacking midfielder (think Hazard), on just be that pocket-sized front man that is increasingly rare but not unthinkable.

What is almost certain is that with this level of talent, there is no way at least two of them can afford not to be on the field at the same time which presents you with a huge dilemma because if you’re gonna get the most out of them, you can’t make them do too much donkey work.

My suspicion is we have to become a high press, rapid transition team that doesn’t worry too much about possession stats but looks to get the ball into dangerous areas as quickly as possible. And while Samu and Lookman are important squad members, I don’t think normal wing play or wide forwards are what we need.

I think you need a three-man genuine strike force (not a striker + 2 wide forwards like we are used to), full backs that push up and bring both width and attacking support, a deep lying protective midfielder who can become a third centre back in the attacking phase, and two hyper-active box-to-box midfielders ahead of him doing dirty work and quickly progressing the ball up the attack.

It won’t always be pretty and we’ll not enjoy possession stats agains the big teams, but I dare someone to try playing a back four against that firepower, and even with a back three, I think you’d keep that midfield pretty honest.

Good teams play to their strengths. We should play to ours.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Don't let people bully you into not being able to state your opinion about a SE player's performance on a Super Eagle's fan s forum. Most of those people don't give a rats azs about the player either. Awoniyi needs to prove himself as a SE player, period! Base on his performance for the SE so far, he is not on my top 5 list.
waka-man wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:30 pm Good discussion.

Awoniyi is at an age (26) where we can predict that he could go on to be a really good striker, but much harder to believe he will be one of the world’s best. Please don’t read that as me talking him down. I am so impressed with him and think there’s still more to come.

Osimhen has had a worldie season and is of an age where you can see him get better and better. This is a really important year for him. And it’s Napoli so far not looking anything like last season, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to his stock. I’d put money on him.

Boniface is the real x-factor. He’s raw as hell but already proving a force. He has so many weapons. He could have the kind of season Osimhen had last year. And he’s still only 22

Moffi is the enigmatic one for me. He’s as gifted as Boniface and just as unplayable on his day. Is he in the right environment? Is he consistent enough? He’s only 6 months younger than Osimhen although at 24 he has time to get a lot better. But we need to see him do what we know he can do consistently over the course of a season.

The only other striker that fits in this conversation is Orban and he’s the one that could go anywhere. He’s had a fairytale-like 9 months. Billy Boots level stuff. I’m not even sure we know his best position. He has the potential the partner any of the above in a classic little and large front two, or to develop into a devastating attacking midfielder (think Hazard), on just be that pocket-sized front man that is increasingly rare but not unthinkable.

What is almost certain is that with this level of talent, there is no way at least two of them can afford not to be on the field at the same time which presents you with a huge dilemma because if you’re gonna get the most out of them, you can’t make them do too much donkey work.

My suspicion is we have to become a high press, rapid transition team that doesn’t worry too much about possession stats but looks to get the ball into dangerous areas as quickly as possible. And while Samu and Lookman are important squad members, I don’t think normal wing play or wide forwards are what we need.

I think you need a three-man genuine strike force (not a striker + 2 wide forwards like we are used to), full backs that push up and bring both width and attacking support, a deep lying protective midfielder who can become a third centre back in the attacking phase, and two hyper-active box-to-box midfielders ahead of him doing dirty work and quickly progressing the ball up the attack.

It won’t always be pretty and we’ll not enjoy possession stats agains the big teams, but I dare someone to try playing a back four against that firepower, and even with a back three, I think you’d keep that midfield pretty honest.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Finally you've confessed.

Go ahead and list your Top 5, so we all can see it and we can finally stop reading your narratives and excuses on this striker you've clowned all over CE . No one is going to bully you. If they do let me know
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:59 pm Don't let people bully you into not being able to state your opinion about a SE player's performance on a Super Eagle's fan s forum. Most of those people don't give a rats azs about the player either. Awoniyi needs to prove himself as a SE player, period! Base on his performance for the SE so far, he is not on my top 5 list.

SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:rotf: :rotf: You that have low self-esteem will protect me from being bullied? That would be the day...
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:02 pm Finally you've confessed.

Go ahead and list your Top 5, so we all can see it and we can finally stop reading your narratives and excuses on this striker you've clowned all over CE . No one is going to bully you. If they do let me know
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:59 pm Don't let people bully you into not being able to state your opinion about a SE player's performance on a Super Eagle's fan s forum. Most of those people don't give a rats azs about the player either. Awoniyi needs to prove himself as a SE player, period! Base on his performance for the SE so far, he is not on my top 5 list.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I actually think you must have suffered some verbal assault somewhere. Recently you've been stuck on the "low self esteem" quote for almost 2 weeks, what happened? You know what they say about such , a refection of oneself is projected on the internet . All the Nigerians i know do not have low self esteem. You cannot survive in the States as a migrant if you have a low self esteem as you say. This is a taboo in my family. As i said list your top 5
strikers and then we can finally figure out who you truly are
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:15 pm :rotf: :rotf: You that have low self-esteem will protect me from being bullied? That would be the day...

SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Why you dey catch feelings? It's low self-esteem to catch feelings on CE. :D
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:21 pm I actually think you must have suffered some verbal assault somewhere. Recently you've been stuck on the "low self esteem" quote for almost 2 weeks, what happened? You know what they say about such , a refection of oneself is projected on the internet . All the Nigerians i know do not have low self esteem. You cannot survive in the States as a migrant if you have a low self esteem as you say. This is a taboo in my family. As i said list your top 5
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:15 pm :rotf: :rotf: You that have low self-esteem will protect me from being bullied? That would be the day...

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

That's all good and dandy but wait till people start calling for the coach's head after every game. Will the fan base give the team enough time to grow before they call for a new coach? As it is now, a lot of people are expecting the team to win Afcon .
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

now you've moved to catching feelings... you are becoming mcal, the auto pilot troll. Please go ahead and name your top 5. I habe also replied your naira marley thread
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:41 pm Why you dey catch feelings? It's low self-esteem to catch feelings on CE. :D
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:21 pm I actually think you must have suffered some verbal assault somewhere. Recently you've been stuck on the "low self esteem" quote for almost 2 weeks, what happened? You know what they say about such , a refection of oneself is projected on the internet . All the Nigerians i know do not have low self esteem. You cannot survive in the States as a migrant if you have a low self esteem as you say. This is a taboo in my family. As i said list your top 5

SuperEagles

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:45 pm now you've moved to catching feelings... you are becoming mcal, the auto pilot troll. Please go ahead and name your top 5. I habe also replied your naira marley thread
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:41 pm Why you dey catch feelings? It's low self-esteem to catch feelings on CE. :D

Thanks for your contribution
Last edited by waka-man on Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:42 pm

That's all good and dandy but wait till people start calling for the coach's head after every game. Will the fan base give the team enough time to grow before they call for a new coach? As it is now, a lot of people are expecting the team to win Afcon .
Good point.
Our fans want to eat their cake and have it.
But what’s worse, they don’t even have the patience to wait for the cake to be baked.
So how can they eat cake and still have the cake that was never even baked in the first place?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Wahala.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I agree that our high-profile players are our forwards. However, I think this problem is a little exaggerated and the failure of Rohr and Peseiro to try out new midfield options has somewhat compounded the issue. First, we have versatile forwards. Boniface can play on the left, Lookman can either play as a winger or support striker (possibly even as an AM), Ihenacho can play as a support striker, Akpom though uninvited can play as an AM or support striker.

Second, we have decent talent in midfield. Iwobi, Ndidi, Aribo, Nwakali, Yusuf, Onyeka, the Dele-Bashiru brothers, Nwakali, and Nwobodo are not slouches. Akinsanrimo and Eletu are up and coming midfielders that need to be exposed to the SE sooner rather than later. Remember Keshi fast-tracked Omeruo and Onazi into the SE.

Third, we also have depth in the FB positions: Aina, Osayi-Samuel, Sanusi, Ebuehi, Onyemachi, and Collins.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

is this for me or 1naija?
waka-man wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:59 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:45 pm now you've moved to catching feelings... you are becoming mcal, the auto pilot troll. Please go ahead and name your top 5. I habe also replied your naira marley thread

SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:rotf: Are you shocked someone did not find your posts nonsensical for once?
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:52 pm is this for me or 1naija?
waka-man wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:59 pm

joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

At this rate, we might be able to field ten strikers and a goalie - mass attack and defense, that is :taunt: .
If we can get one solid ball distributor, a formidable defensive midfielder, plus a smart center back,
we can get truly competitive in any competition.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges