Another Injury in Super Eagles Camp? Sadiq Out! Paul Onuachu Called Up

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Another Injury in Super Eagles Camp?

Post by ANC »

olu wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:24 am You can't predict injuries. That being said, unforeseen events like this underline why not calling up a replacement for Kele was a bad idea. Musa is also taking up a spot that could have been used by a player that can contribute something to the squad.
I wonder how well Musa sleeps @ night
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Some of the views here are simply shocking. Some of you will never learn and lack foresight. This team will return home sooner rather than later. It is pretty obvious that some elements in the NFF are working towards that objective. These subversive elements have no shame and put personal gain before national interest.

So what's the plan? Sabotage the team so that the money approved for the execution of the nations cup will not be fully utilised so it can be siphoned into private bank accounts.

This team won't go past the 2nd round. Even that would be overachieving, going by anticidents.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

DIMKA76 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:55 am Some of the views here are simply shocking. Some of you will never learn and lack foresight. This team will return home sooner rather than later. It is pretty obvious that some elements in the NFF are working towards that objective. These subversive elements have no shame and put personal gain before national interest.

So what's the plan? Sabotage the team so that the money approved for the execution of the nations cup will not be fully utilised so it can be siphoned into private bank accounts.

This team won't go past the 2nd round. Even that would be overachieving, going by anticidents.
its quite interesting that you think Nigerians know how to learn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ANC wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:41 am
olu wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:24 am You can't predict injuries. That being said, unforeseen events like this underline why not calling up a replacement for Kele was a bad idea. Musa is also taking up a spot that could have been used by a player that can contribute something to the squad.
I wonder how well Musa sleeps @ night
easily.

The clown has absolutely no shame at all.

What he is doing is not only downright malevolent, but it is actually highly embarassing for him. He doesn't even make the bench for his club, he has previously made the team while clubless. He SUCKS as a player and knows he will be rooted to the bench.

Any normal human being will be deeply ashamed of such pathetic action, and retire from national duty. Especially after 2 monumental failures as team captain.

But this clown named Musa HAS NO SHAME. HE IS NOT CAPABLE OF FEELING SHAME. :boo:

A selfish, egotistical piece of garbage with a dangerous amount of arrogance. :boo:
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Robbynice wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:13 pm
seyiblack wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:39 pm
anointed wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:24 pm Been reading that Sadiq Umar wasn't in training today and word is it's an injury.

The issue of 27 plays may still haunt and bites us hard.
Has little to do with the issue of 25 vs 27 players and more with a provisional list for all positions. Besides, only about 16 of the players will play each game so the list of 25 or 27 already has a buffer/reserves built in. This just sounds like a quest to complain.
Thank you o my brother...Fans sha dem must make a big deal about everything even when there is nothing. It is a damn shame if you ask me...smdh
All these because I used the word 'may'. Maybe I should have used the word 'will'.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Support the team rather than crying like a woman with a painful period to an anonymous forum. Can all the hollering change anything? Use the brain the Almighty God gave you
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Paul Onuachu to the rescue
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

highbury wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:53 am Support the team rather than crying like a woman with a painful period to an anonymous forum. Can all the hollering change anything? Use the brain the Almighty God gave you
How about just cry like a man? Or you dont think men cry? Y'all that cry like babies when you have a headache. :lol: Anyway, dont let the misogyny get in the way of making your point.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

danfo driver wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:22 am
highbury wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:53 am Support the team rather than crying like a woman with a painful period to an anonymous forum. Can all the hollering change anything? Use the brain the Almighty God gave you
How about just cry like a man? Or you dont think men cry? Y'all that cry like babies when you have a headache. :lol: Anyway, dont let the misogyny get in the way of making your point.
Contribute something that’s football related. We beg of u. What’s your starting lineup? Who do want coaching? Which players should’ve been called?
OCCUPY NFF!!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:34 pm
nzeogwu wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:19 pm Some people are concerned about 27 players. Rules or no rules, people, let’s focus on the present.

In the previous tournaments, you were only allowed 23. Furthermore for those that recall, in 2004, Agali, Aiyegbeni and Babayaro were kicked off the squad. WE STILL WERE ONE ODEMWINGIE PENALTY away from the final. We finished the tournament with 18 players. What is 27?

Chill!
Great point!

Look, you may haver 30 players and still have 10 or 12 injured or sick from food poisoning. On the contrary you may have 18 and none will have an injury. The fact is that naming 25 players for a tournament where only 17 can in any given game is not a problem. This is just much ado about nothing, TBH.
I am struggling to understand your point, if you invite more players you would have more options to choose from in terms of quality and strategy, how is that not an advantage?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:49 am
nzeogwu wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:19 pm Some people are concerned about 27 players. Rules or no rules, people, let’s focus on the present.

In the previous tournaments, you were only allowed 23. Furthermore for those that recall, in 2004, Agali, Aiyegbeni and Babayaro were kicked off the squad. WE STILL WERE ONE ODEMWINGIE PENALTY away from the final. We finished the tournament with 18 players. What is 27?

Chill!
Great point!

Look, you may haver 30 players and still have 10 or 12 injured or sick from food poisoning. On the contrary you may have 18 and none will have an injury. The fact is that naming 25 players for a tournament where only 17 can in any given game is not a problem. This is just much ado about nothing, TBH.
I am struggling to understand your point, if you invite more players you would have more options to choose from in terms of quality and strategy, how is that not an advantage?
Gochino

You will also have more injuries if you invite 30. Not so? My point is simple - given number of maximum games, inviting 25 should be adequate and i am struggling to understand the big deal, given that injuries can occur and
Is never based on having larger or smaller squad. I just think this is big noise about something insignificant. Injuries are not based on having smaller or larger squads.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Another Injury in Super Eagles Camp? Sadiq Out! Paul Onuachu Called Up

Post by Damunk »

The issue here is that the injuries are lopsided - essentially all affecting one department. Strikers.
No matter how many you invite,(and let’s be honest, 27 is almost unprecedented), no way will losing three strikers to injury not affect a squad.
This whingeing is really about Musa.
Not inviting Musa and calling up, say Tella or Gift Orban would not have stopped the injuries to Nacho, Boniface and Sadiq.
So are we saying the 27 man squad should have had seven strikers - Osimhen, Boniface, Sadiq, Iheanacho, Moffi, Onuachu and Gift/Tella?

Too much emotional ranting.
Let’s get on with it, abeg.

“If I perish, I perish”.
It’s not that serious.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

The 27 thing and the injury thing are different issues.

In terms of numbers, we invited enough strikers. The injuries to so many strikers - Awoniyi, Nacho, Boniface and Sadiq - is unprecedented but even if we had two more slots I suspect we all would have clamoured for more midfielders.

But it’s still mad not to take advantage of having 27. Lots things you could do with those two slots including giving a promising youngster the experience (ala Theo Walcott for England in 2006) or padding out the midfield.

In terms of the actual selection, we’re fans so we can all quibble but Musa’s selection over folks like Akpom, Akor, Orban and Tella is a head scratcher.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

There is a reason there are 27 players invited. The tournament is bigger. If I am not mistaken there are 5 substitutes now. It id way more competitive and we have not even started with suspensions and in tourney shenanigans. Things have changed, move on from the 80s. I mean if you invite 27 and you have 4 injuries, then it is still way better than having 25 and having 4. If you have a passenger in a 25 man team it is even worse, with the Iheanacho situation we might have two. I thought we were in it to win it, not see how best we can do with the least amount of players. Nigeria has one of the deepest squads in Africa, why not use that as an advantage?

The people that are saying 25 is fine are basically pro Musa for me. They can't admit it was a mistake taking him in the first place so now they are doing their best to play it down.
Babadee
Egg
Egg

Post by Babadee »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:59 am

Chill!
Great point!

Gochino

You will also have more injuries if you invite 30. Not so? My point is simple - given number of maximum games, inviting 25 should be adequate and i am struggling to understand the big deal, given that injuries can occur and
Is never based on having larger or smaller squad. I just think this is big noise about something insignificant. Injuries are not based on having smaller or larger squads.
the missing 2 players can be used to bulk up the midfield. is like a coach insisting on 3 subs when 5 are allowed.

Why is he trying to feel to cool. All other teams (the serious contenders) are well stacked knowing you will play 7 extremely tough games and injuury is sure to happen. If not injury red or yellow cards.

Kelechi is also not fit, if he plays one game he might get injured again who knows.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Babadee wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:03 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:59 am

Chill!
Great point!

Gochino

the missing 2 players can be used to bulk up the midfield. is like a coach insisting on 3 subs when 5 are allowed.

Why is he trying to feel to cool. All other teams (the serious contenders) are well stacked knowing you will play 7 extremely tough games and injuury is sure to happen. If not injury red or yellow cards.

Kelechi is also not fit, if he plays one game he might get injured again who knows.
Babadee,

See Damunk's post. He hits the nail on its head. The reality is that the injuries have occurred in one position and inviting 27 would not have helped because you still would have forced to make changes from your initial list.

You want to add more bulk to the midfield. I suppose you are referring to the central midfield and not the midfield in its entirety. I make this distinction because it has become necessary given the confusion on this board. In any case, the central midfield for Nigeria is no different from other positions. It has two players in each of its positions plus one extra cover. So, why do you need a third layer of cover there? As you address that, keep in mind that you address it based on the formation that Nigeria uses often.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:07 am
danfo driver wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:22 am
Contribute something that’s football related. We beg of u. What’s your starting lineup? Who do want coaching? Which players should’ve been called?
Not interested.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Lol

People still trying to downplay 25 players

Dame people who defend Musa and the criminal NFF.

No big deal, so why is it only NIGERIA who is doing this of all the big teams.

This is just daft and there is no excuse.

Yes it is like having 5 subs and not using them, even when things are not working.

Do we not believe in building for the future ?

How will the addition of Tella and Fisayo not help those 2 integrate into our setup.

Players who can deputize for Iwobi if he's ever injured. No we'd rather be left scrambling.

Not important I guess. Musas cap record is what matters.

Nigerians are FOOLS.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:08 pm Lol

Yes it is like having 5 subs and not using them, even when things are not working.

How will the addition of Tella and Fisayo not help those 2 integrate into our setup.

Players who can deputize for Iwobi if he's ever injured. No we'd rather be left scrambling.

Nigerians are FOOLS.
Well, it appears they are certain cultural attributes you must understand, and digest. The members of the NFF did not appear out of Sudan.

Living on the edge, brinksmanship, playing with fire, etc appears to be the operating principle.

Furthermore, there is overall team management, tournament management, and game management issues that need to be addressed.

Re overall team management, the powers that be gambled on the the veterans' off-field leadership experience , guiding philosophy, and tournament experience rather than upsetting the cart with potentially surly, disgruntled new players who might believe they ought to start. Team harmony is important. The upcoming ones will have their chances. None of them is much better than the players selected. As in exceptionally better. Ronaldo of Brazil in WC 1994, even tough the talent was exceptional, was deemed too young to feature in the WC. One for the future, he was brought to in to soak in the atmosphere of big time football. A new Nigerian journeyman coach might NOT involve Tella or Fisayo in his plans. For Ronaldo, it was very obvious he was going to feature in future Brazilian plans regardless of the coach.

Re tournament management, bar these injuries to Boniface, and Sadiq, it appears there had contingency in place but things are unravelling.

Re game management, it appears you (re)learnt what rigid Rohr didn't grasp re availability of unused subs. 2018 WC against Argentina. Unused subs.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

DIMKA76 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:55 am Some of the views here are simply shocking. Some of you will never learn and lack foresight. This team will return home sooner rather than later. It is pretty obvious that some elements in the NFF are working towards that objective. These subversive elements have no shame and put personal gain before national interest.

How about, with your sabotaging theory, that these "subversive" elements need Peserio gone ASAP? As in yesterday.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Nigerians are FOOLS.
LOL! You're the fool making a big deal out of nothing. Absolutely nothing! :rotf:

Each team can replace an injured player 24 hours before their first game.

So why the hoopla about two extra players who would likely never smell playing time?

I know why. It's just a diversion. You know your team is crap, whether you select 25, 27, or 50 players.

You have no confidence in the team so you're already lining up your excuse. It's not because our players are just not good enough. It's because "we only took 25 players when it should have been 27". We needed more players to keep the bench warm. :rotf: :rotf:
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Orion wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:06 pm

Nigerians are FOOLS.
LOL! You're the fool making a big deal out of nothing. Absolutely nothing! :rotf:

Each team can replace an injured player 24 hours before their first game.

So why the hoopla about two extra players who would likely never smell playing time?

I know why. It's just a diversion. You know your team is crap, whether you select 25, 27, or 50 players.

You have no confidence in the team so you're already lining up your excuse. It's not because our players are just not good enough. It's because "we only took 25 players when it should have been 27". We needed more players to keep the bench warm. :rotf: :rotf:
you are missing the point and you are thinking within the box. If you have your 27 man squad, and someone gets injured:

1. you dont have to beg a club to release players, like Nice with Moffi.

2. the player has been training with you, acclimatizing, involved in tactics and team bonding. So, he is not just coming out off the cold weather in Europe, with zero understanding of what the team has been doing and is not up to speed. Instead, he is already there and just seamlessly slides in.

Isnt this obvious? Even if you love Peseiro and the NFF or even if you dont like people complaining, can you simply just be honest with yourself?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:48 pm
anointed wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:41 pm Owngoal has kinda reported

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2024/01/11/p ... icipation/
From the look of things, it is indeed precautionary, as Owngoal noted. If the guy was indeed ready to train, that shows clearly that he could play on it in an emergency even though he is not 100% fit.

NOW on people claiming that the list should have been 25, 27 or 100. It matters diddly. The reality is that only 16 can play in a given match. Moreover, in a tournament like this, each team and will haver injured players,. BET ON IT. No big deal.
EII,

Anytime people are dissatisfied with something, this time the non inclusion of their preferred players, they’ll throw a tantrum and clutch at straws. People seem to forget that barely 3 years ago, only 23 players per team were allowed at AFCON. So, all the noise making about the number of invited players is really much ado about nothing🤔❗️

Cheers.