William Troost-Ekong -- Captain, my captain!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: William Troost-Ekong -- Captain, my captain!

Post by Bell »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:14 am If Ekong lifts that AFCON trophy on Sunday, he will easily be ranked among the top 3 players to ever captain Nigeria (only Stephen Keshi and Christian Chukwu will be arguably ahead of him).
TRUE, BUT...

...I think you should have added the phrase "in recent times" because there have been good captains in the past.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

aruako1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:53 am I hope he is getting his coaching badges. He has the mentality to succeed as a coach

BEEN THINKING THE SAME THING, THAT IS...

...ultimately for the SE, and if that's what he wants. He comes with important credentials.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

blueangel wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:42 pm Also in the South Africa match.
The speedy striker from South AFrica almost out ran Ekong who grabbed him and took a yellow card for the team, his nation

I MAY HAVE TO LOOK AT THE TAPE AGAIN, BUT...

...it appeared it wasn't necessary to take the yellow because the SA player was speedy but not exactly in a threatening position and I thought another SE was approaching to cut off his advance.
Bell
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Bell wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:30 pm
blueangel wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:42 pm Also in the South Africa match.
The speedy striker from South AFrica almost out ran Ekong who grabbed him and took a yellow card for the team, his nation

I MAY HAVE TO LOOK AT THE TAPE AGAIN, BUT...

...it appeared it wasn't necessary to take the yellow because the SA player was speedy but not exactly in a threatening position and I thought another SE was approaching to cut off his advance.
Bell
The player wasnt through on goal so in that sense it wasnt necessary.

But we had bodies committed forward and everyone was in retreat mode. That foul allowed us to reset and get back in position. In that sense, it was necessary.

Defending while running to get in position is tough as is.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Robbynice wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:47 pm Ekong has not done one thing wrong this whole tournament. He is truly a leader of men. Captain Nigeria, my captain!
The only tiny blemish was the SA player that had enough space to take that snap shot that Nwabili didn’t see coming and the one that attempted the overhead kick. Other than that, Captain Ekong has been fantastic. If he scores 1 more goal, he might win MVP if we win this cup.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Last edited by Lolly on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

theDunamis wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:29 am Captain, my captain!

Ekong's leadership in this team has been nothing short of stellar. His leadership qualities plus his situational awareness are exceptional and laudable. And his situational awareness is not just about things directly related to the match at hand alone but also in relation to human and personnel relationship -- those intangible but valuable things. For example, after scoring his penalty during the PKs today, while he was no doubt both relieved and celebratory, his attention immediately goes to what next he can do to serve the team. And he goes over to Nwabali, hugs him, and whispers into his ears, likely giving him some kudos and encouragement. Ekong sees people. And he wants to serve them however he can. The trait of natural leaders.

And his mentality and approach are fully embedded and revealed in this statement he made during an interview, "...one thing that hundred percent isn't something we can compromise on is our work rate. We are willing to do the dirty work defensively, making the runs to give people options when we have the ball. We know that if we do all those things, then our quality would come out, because there are not many teams in Africa that have more quality than us, player for player." Ekong has walked that talk throughout this tournament. Leading and organizing the defense with words, legs, and body. Bruising tackles. Joining the forces upfront for set piece opportunities. Huffing and puffing to make last-second, crucial blocks. And when his legs have tired and sensing the clear and tournament-ending danger, pulling down his man and taking one for the team. Experience weds leadership. And when team members see a leader who is asking of them only that which he himself does first, they see a leader who leads by example and they follow.

Finally, but not at all least, his calmness and wisdom are a key and central part of his leadership qualities and both contribute immensely to the team's vibe. And to his engagement style when he has to engage referees to register complaints or seek redress. And yet, both belie a stillness that rises to the surface when the moment demands - like in his 3 crucial PKs thus far in this tournament.

It was surprising to learn that he came close to ending his international career less than a year ago. I can say with full certainty that Nigeria is grateful and better for his decision to keep playing for us. Veteran players may lose a step or two in speed, but they more than make up for those in experience and in Ekong's case, leadership.

Captain, my captain!
:thumb: :thumbs:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Ekong's leadership in this team has been nothing short of stellar. His leadership qualities plus his situational awareness are exceptional and laudable. And his situational awareness is not just about things directly related to the match at hand alone but also in relation to human and personnel relationship -- those intangible but valuable things. For example, after scoring his penalty during the PKs today, while he was no doubt both relieved and celebratory, his attention immediately goes to what next he can do to serve the team. And he goes over to Nwabali, hugs him, and whispers into his ears, likely giving him some kudos and encouragement. Ekong sees people. And he wants to serve them however he can. The trait of natural leaders.

And his mentality and approach are fully embedded and revealed in this statement he made during an interview, "...one thing that hundred percent isn't something we can compromise on is our work rate. We are willing to do the dirty work defensively, making the runs to give people options when we have the ball. We know that if we do all those things, then our quality would come out, because there are not many teams in Africa that have more quality than us, player for player." Ekong has walked that talk throughout this tournament. Leading and organizing the defense with words, legs, and body. Bruising tackles. Joining the forces upfront for set piece opportunities. Huffing and puffing to make last-second, crucial blocks. And when his legs have tired and sensing the clear and tournament-ending danger, pulling down his man and taking one for the team. Experience weds leadership. And when team members see a leader who is asking of them only that which he himself does first, they see a leader who leads by example and they follow.

Finally, but not at all least, his calmness and wisdom are a key and central part of his leadership qualities and both contribute immensely to the team's vibe. And to his engagement style when he has to engage referees to register complaints or seek redress. And yet, both belie a stillness that rises to the surface when the moment demands - like in his 3 crucial PKs thus far in this tournament.

It was surprising to learn that he came close to ending his international career less than a year ago. I can say with full certainty that Nigeria is grateful and better for his decision to keep playing for us. Veteran players may lose a step or two in speed, but they more than make up for those in experience and in Ekong's case, leadership.

Captain, my captain!
Thank you.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Captain, my captain!
Make I hail you again.
Nicely written. :thumb: :thumb:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Thanks theDunamis. Excellent write up.

However, I have to own my $#% :) I am one of those "wishy washy" fans who thinks he's past it. My opinion was based on watching him play for the SE live at Dallas. He was wish washy. I also followed his club career and watch his games. He doesn't seem to take his role in his club seriously.
As I stated in Suya spot, he fed me humble pies in this tournament. I however believe his pairing with Balogun and other journeymen at the back contributed to his bad display in the Dallas game and those other friendlies. so also is the lack of good goalkeeping at the back. His leadership is indubitable. Even Osihmen defer to him. A quick glare from him set players in place they should be. He was not leading by words but by action. He wanted to win and I hope and pray he does. He will probably end his career on a high note.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Cellular wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:58 pmMake I hail you again.
Nicely written. :thumb: :thumb:

And make I thank you again. :) Thanks bro.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

furiously frank wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:15 pm Thanks theDunamis. Excellent write up.

However, I have to own my $#% :) I am one of those "wishy washy" fans who thinks he's past it. My opinion was based on watching him play for the SE live at Dallas. He was wish washy. I also followed his club career and watch his games. He doesn't seem to take his role in his club seriously.
As I stated in Suya spot, he fed me humble pies in this tournament. I however believe his pairing with Balogun and other journeymen at the back contributed to his bad display in the Dallas game and those other friendlies. so also is the lack of good goalkeeping at the back. His leadership is indubitable. Even Osihmen defer to him. A quick glare from him set players in place they should be. He was not leading by words but by action. He wanted to win and I hope and pray he does. He will probably end his career on a high note.
FF, your points are all very valid regarding some of Ekong's previous SE appearances and I believe he himself will agree that both he and the team around him grew into the moments we are seeing and enjoying today.

And I believe this is what some of us as fans (including me) need to fully realize and actively support. Players like all humans learn and develop. I mean, we all get the privilege and relative privacy of doing this in our own areas of endeavor. But somehow, when it comes to other humans and just because we get full public access, we want to replace a player after some unpalatable outings. Thus, we miss out on the growth, development, learning and experience that player has gained and can use to huge benefit.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

theDunamis wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 pm
furiously frank wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:15 pm Thanks theDunamis. Excellent write up.

FF, your points are all very valid regarding some of Ekong's previous SE appearances and I believe he himself will agree that both he and the team around him grew into the moments we are seeing and enjoying today.

And I believe this is what some of us as fans (including me) need to fully realize and actively support. Players like all humans learn and develop. I mean, we all get the privilege and relative privacy of doing this in our own areas of endeavor. But somehow, when it comes to other humans and just because we get full public access, we want to replace a player after some unpalatable outings. Thus, we miss out on the growth, development, learning and experience that player has gained and can use to huge benefit.
Well said.
Remember it is apparently a taboo for a Nigerian player to “learn”.
But it is what Ekong has “learned” from tournaments over the last ten years that he is bringing to bear in his leadership role today.
Just watch the tournament rookies like Bassey, Nwabali, Moffi and Yusuf soar in the coming years.
Pity Boniface missed out.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

2think wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:26 pm
He stepped up when nerves of steel were needed yesterday for the penalty(s), just as he did against CIV in the group stage. He took one for the team, and for good measure practically wrestled the SA player :rotf:
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

A good response
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

kendo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:48 am

And after the professional foul, he made sure to hold on to the ball to prevent any SA player from attempting to quickly take the freekick before the SE regroup. Captain Ekong was fully switched on.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

The meaning of Ekong is : War or battle., War or battle.
Our Captain is a warrior.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

He really is a team leader. There was a moment in the second half of the semi-final against South Africa where he gave Alhassan Yusuf an absolute rocket for not dropping deep to pick up a South African player. When Yusuf did not immediately drop deeper as Ekong instructed, Ekong went into drill sergeant mode, flailed his arms, and screamed at Yusuf even more.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Super Eagles legend
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

We hail o!!!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Nothing for Onku ? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!