Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 29997
Otitokoro wrote:
Like Iheanacho, Idowu, Awaziem and Simon Moses are all starters for the clubs, right?
Even beef nicca Esiti is not a regular starter for his club.
Your argument is not valid.
Dammy wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Rohr should have called up Azeez instead of Esiti, he's having a solid season.

Azeez needs to get a starting spot at Granada before he should be considered for the SE.

You don’t have to LIE to score cheap partisan points...
Esiti has been a NAILED-ON STARTER in Portugal, Belgium and now Greece..

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Last edited by Gotti on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 29997
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Gotti oooo :taunt:

It’s a good goal...

But how does it change the point that it’s harder to compare someone often rooted to the bench and whom we therefore cannot evaluate to one who is a sure-banker starter (even on a new club that he just joined) and thus whom we can rationally judge, or how does it change the reality that Rohr looked at both of them (well, perhaps only one of them, since the other was benched) and called up one? LOL!
>

Bros he’s getting there with more like this he will get more PT. But in midfield the more the merrier, to me he has a more polished game than the mechanic eventually it will show and Roger might take notice.

MACE, I would also personally like to see us have MANY options...
But there seems to be a plot afoot to put Esiti down to elevate others.

Personally, I think Esiti is a heck of a DEFENSIVE midfielder...
And to see folks like Uche Agbo (even Agu) repeatedly invited over him was befuddling.

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 29997
Otitokoro wrote:
Dammy, what difference does it make if the team he represents is a ‘relegation candidate’ team?
The important factor is the quality of the opposition. No one in football circles would argue about the depth of quality in La Liga.
On the other hand, Esiti and the Greek League?

Uche Agbo also played in La Liga (and was even a STARTER at Granada), but did jack for SE except take up space! :oops:

The current SE captain in Mikel’s absence/retirement plays in Saudi Arabia, while Ighalo plays in China. What “quality of opposition” are they facing in those leagues? In fact, the stark IRONY of this “quality of opposition” drivel is that Ighalo looked a waste of space in the SE while playing in the EPL and only started to blossom for the SE after he moved to the Chinese league.

Meanwhile, Esiti only just moved to the Greek league and thus “the quality of opposition” in the Greek league is largely IRRELEVANT to his evaluation. In the Belgian league (where he averaged about 30 games per season), he faced the same “quality of opposition” as the likes of Simon, Ndidi, Kalu, Onyekuru, Agbo, etc, faced while earning SE consideration/call-ups.

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17679
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Gotti wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:
Dammy, what difference does it make if the team he represents is a ‘relegation candidate’ team?
The important factor is the quality of the opposition. No one in football circles would argue about the depth of quality in La Liga.
On the other hand, Esiti and the Greek League?

Uche Agbo also played in La Liga (and was even a STARTER at Granada), but did jack for SE except take up space! :oops:

The current SE captain in Mikel’s absence/retirement plays in Saudi Arabia, while Ighalo plays in China. What “quality of opposition” are they facing in those leagues? In fact, the stark IRONY of this “quality of opposition” drivel is that Ighalo looked a waste of space in the SE while playing in the EPL and only started to blossom for the SE after he moved to the Chinese league.

Meanwhile, Esiti only just moved to the Greek league and thus “the quality of opposition” in the Greek league is largely IRRELEVANT to his evaluation. In the Belgian league (where he averaged about 30 games per season), he faced the same “quality of opposition” as the likes of Simon, Ndidi, Kalu, Onyekuru, Agbo, etc, faced while earning SE consideration/call-ups.


The issue about quality league is overblown. It never made sense to me. There are many holes in that argument to state the least. Here are some:

1. Why is the focus on leagues when the focus ought to be on players. Is it the leagues that are invited to the SE or is it players?

2. Many Nigerian players, regardless of talent, are more concerned playing anywhere outside Nigeria and their primary concern is not the quality of the league. Why is this important? It means focusing on who plays in a supposedly quality league is a poor way to assess Nigeria's best players.

3. Annually, several players (globally) are signed from these supposedly poor leagues and they go up to the "top tier" and become starters almost immediately. What does that mean? That there are several top level players not playing in the supposedly top tier.

4. How many times would we observe some guys from 'top tier' leagues under perform at SE when going against guys from 'poor leagues' for us to do a rethink?

It is simply befuddling to read about invite this guy because he is in a top league, do not invite this guy because he is in a "poor league." In my opinion, it is simply a lazyman cop-out. Simply focus on the players and do the complex analysis required to determine who needs to be called up rather than relying on the lazyman yardstick of "big or small" league whatever.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 39133
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:
Dammy, what difference does it make if the team he represents is a ‘relegation candidate’ team?
The important factor is the quality of the opposition. No one in football circles would argue about the depth of quality in La Liga.
On the other hand, Esiti and the Greek League?

Uche Agbo also played in La Liga (and was even a STARTER at Granada), but did jack for SE except take up space! :oops:

The current SE captain in Mikel’s absence/retirement plays in Saudi Arabia, while Ighalo plays in China. What “quality of opposition” are they facing in those leagues? In fact, the stark IRONY of this “quality of opposition” drivel is that Ighalo looked a waste of space in the SE while playing in the EPL and only started to blossom for the SE after he moved to the Chinese league.

Meanwhile, Esiti only just moved to the Greek league and thus “the quality of opposition” in the Greek league is largely IRRELEVANT to his evaluation. In the Belgian league (where he averaged about 30 games per season), he faced the same “quality of opposition” as the likes of Simon, Ndidi, Kalu, Onyekuru, Agbo, etc, faced while earning SE consideration/call-ups.


The issue about quality league is overblown. It never made sense to me. There are many holes in that argument to state the least. Here are some:

1. Why is the focus on leagues when the focus ought to be on players. Is it the leagues that are invited to the SE or is it players?

2. Many Nigerian players, regardless of talent, are more concerned playing anywhere outside Nigeria and their primary concern is not the quality of the league. Why is this important? It means focusing on who plays in a supposedly quality league is a poor way to assess Nigeria's best players.

3. Annually, several players (globally) are signed from these supposedly poor leagues and they go up to the "top tier" and become starters almost immediately. What does that mean? That there are several top level players not playing in the supposedly top tier.

4. How many times would we observe some guys from 'top tier' leagues under perform at SE when going against guys from 'poor leagues' for us to do a rethink?

It is simply befuddling to read about invite this guy because he is in a top league, do not invite this guy because he is in a "poor league." In my opinion, it is simply a lazyman cop-out. Simply focus on the players and do the complex analysis required to determine who needs to be called up rather than relying on the lazyman yardstick of "big or small" league whatever.


It sounds nice and all but Rohr himself makes the same judgement and has asked the likes of Etebo to leave the lower leagues else risk their SE spot...So he clearly cares. I agree it shouldn’t be the be all and end all but it does matter, the quality of opposition you go up against week in week out clearly matters as steel sharpens steel.

BTW, who is the last person you saw jumping from Greek League to start in one of the top 5, I can’t really think of one.

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 2243
Moral of the story is, if you play in laliga or Botswana league, just be a starter and give top notch performances and you might just be considered for an SE invite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17679
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
maceo4 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:
Dammy, what difference does it make if the team he represents is a ‘relegation candidate’ team?
The important factor is the quality of the opposition. No one in football circles would argue about the depth of quality in La Liga.
On the other hand, Esiti and the Greek League?

Uche Agbo also played in La Liga (and was even a STARTER at Granada), but did jack for SE except take up space! :oops:

The current SE captain in Mikel’s absence/retirement plays in Saudi Arabia, while Ighalo plays in China. What “quality of opposition” are they facing in those leagues? In fact, the stark IRONY of this “quality of opposition” drivel is that Ighalo looked a waste of space in the SE while playing in the EPL and only started to blossom for the SE after he moved to the Chinese league.

Meanwhile, Esiti only just moved to the Greek league and thus “the quality of opposition” in the Greek league is largely IRRELEVANT to his evaluation. In the Belgian league (where he averaged about 30 games per season), he faced the same “quality of opposition” as the likes of Simon, Ndidi, Kalu, Onyekuru, Agbo, etc, faced while earning SE consideration/call-ups.


The issue about quality league is overblown. It never made sense to me. There are many holes in that argument to state the least. Here are some:

1. Why is the focus on leagues when the focus ought to be on players. Is it the leagues that are invited to the SE or is it players?

2. Many Nigerian players, regardless of talent, are more concerned playing anywhere outside Nigeria and their primary concern is not the quality of the league. Why is this important? It means focusing on who plays in a supposedly quality league is a poor way to assess Nigeria's best players.

3. Annually, several players (globally) are signed from these supposedly poor leagues and they go up to the "top tier" and become starters almost immediately. What does that mean? That there are several top level players not playing in the supposedly top tier.

4. How many times would we observe some guys from 'top tier' leagues under perform at SE when going against guys from 'poor leagues' for us to do a rethink?

It is simply befuddling to read about invite this guy because he is in a top league, do not invite this guy because he is in a "poor league." In my opinion, it is simply a lazyman cop-out. Simply focus on the players and do the complex analysis required to determine who needs to be called up rather than relying on the lazyman yardstick of "big or small" league whatever.


It sounds nice and all but Rohr himself makes the same judgement and has asked the likes of Etebo to leave the lower leagues else risk their SE spot...So he clearly cares. I agree it shouldn’t be the be all and end all but it does matter, the quality of opposition you go up against week in week out clearly matters as steel sharpens steel.

BTW, who is the last person you saw jumping from Greek League to start in one of the top 5, I can’t really think of one.


Maceo,

I do realize Rohr uses it and more likely will use an academy player before a guy from npfl but I do not agree with it. Oliseh attempted to do the same as well. It just does not make sense.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 39133
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Well the mechanic has proven to be useless, and now our very own Ramon is starting vs Barcelona today, lets see how he does...

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 39133
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Would you look at that...Azeez scores...Mechanic is still mechanicing somewhere in Greece...

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 9026
Azeez scores in the first minute against Barcelona!

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 39133
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Good 90 minute display from our boy! Glad for him, hoping Rohr was watching as we need depth in midfield without the likes of Mikel, Onazi etc. I prefer these type of polished players to gra gra ones for the SE...

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1naija, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], john12, Majestic-12 [Bot], oyek and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group