Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:03 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 6365
ohsee wrote:
olu wrote:
If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age he would certainly have featured for a higher profile team in Europe. Another thing that makes his goal scoring record even more impressive is we played even fewer friendlies back then.

We have had quality strikers since Yekini. Aghahowa, Amokachi, Martins, Agali, Yakubu, Ikechuwku Uche, Ighalo, and now Osmihen come to mind. The likes of Aghahowa, Martins, and Yak were good strikers, however, they didn't play enough games for Nigeria to be placed on the same level with Yekini.

We also struggled to find quality playmakers since Okocha and Oliseh retired. So many of our the strikers since Yekini have been starved off chances. For example, I would say we struggled to create chances in about half of the games I've seen Ighalo play for the SE.

Chief,
You've made a lot of good points, but I will address the first and one other.

If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age, they would have scrubbed the African curse out of him--like many African strikers, he was incredibly wasteful with chances. In the beginning, Samuel Eto'o was like that too, but he went there early and as time went on, he was taught to calm down before goal and shoot straight.

Yekini had an European striker's mentality in the way he worked so hard to get open. I'd say he was as good as some of the very best European pure strikers of today like Mario Mandzukic in that ability, but he threw away way too many chances. If Yekini was able to bury even a quarter of the chances he had, he would be solidly on ANY list of all time great forwards.

Aghahowa was better than Yekini at scoring the half-chance. I thought he was going to be our best striker of all time. I don't know what happened. Maybe age?


Donetsk wouldn't let him leave Ukraine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
ohsee wrote:
olu wrote:
If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age he would certainly have featured for a higher profile team in Europe. Another thing that makes his goal scoring record even more impressive is we played even fewer friendlies back then.

We have had quality strikers since Yekini. Aghahowa, Amokachi, Martins, Agali, Yakubu, Ikechuwku Uche, Ighalo, and now Osmihen come to mind. The likes of Aghahowa, Martins, and Yak were good strikers, however, they didn't play enough games for Nigeria to be placed on the same level with Yekini.

We also struggled to find quality playmakers since Okocha and Oliseh retired. So many of our the strikers since Yekini have been starved off chances. For example, I would say we struggled to create chances in about half of the games I've seen Ighalo play for the SE.

Chief,
You've made a lot of good points, but I will address the first and one other.

If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age, they would have scrubbed the African curse out of him--like many African strikers, he was incredibly wasteful with chances. In the beginning, Samuel Eto'o was like that too, but he went there early and as time went on, he was taught to calm down before goal and shoot straight.

Yekini had an European striker's mentality in the way he worked so hard to get open. I'd say he was as good as some of the very best European pure strikers of today like Mario Mandzukic in that ability, but he threw away way too many chances. If Yekini was able to bury even a quarter of the chances he had, he would be solidly on ANY list of all time great forwards.

Aghahowa was better than Yekini at scoring the half-chance. I thought he was going to be our best striker of all time. I don't know what happened. Maybe age?


Well, this will have to be proven by the stats guys, but I SINCERELY doubt this. Enugu II, where you dey o?? If we look at goals per game for Nigerian strikers above a certain threshold, I'm pretty sure Yekini would be at the top.

If one then assumes that our chance creation with Yekini was generally no different than the era before/after him, then this ya observation no fit correct. Better still, we can look at goal conversion ratio (but I really doubt those stats were available back then). It wasn't until US 94, at 30 years old, where I would admit seeing Yekini miss chances he would have scored in the past. For anyone that watched him play for Nigeria between 88-94, nah bruh...that man was GOLD.

Again, Aghahowa is probably a contender for 'best of the rest'...but the top has only one occupant. Yekini. Aghahowa to me, wasn't an out and out center forward.

Yekini's heir apparent is likely Osimhen. He is the only one I've seen in 25 years that combines the striker's instinct with the ability....much the same way Yekini did.


Here we go....From Enugu II's website (https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/09/ ... stats.html):

Top Scorer (per game: Minimum 10 games)
1. Elkanah Onyeali 0.79
2. Thompson Usiyan 0.60
3. Rashidi Yekini 0.58
4. Sunday Oyarekhua 0.55
5. Segun Odegbami 0.50

Yekini was the last of a breed.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:05 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43128
Location: UK
deanotito wrote:
ohsee wrote:
olu wrote:
If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age he would certainly have featured for a higher profile team in Europe. Another thing that makes his goal scoring record even more impressive is we played even fewer friendlies back then.

We have had quality strikers since Yekini. Aghahowa, Amokachi, Martins, Agali, Yakubu, Ikechuwku Uche, Ighalo, and now Osmihen come to mind. The likes of Aghahowa, Martins, and Yak were good strikers, however, they didn't play enough games for Nigeria to be placed on the same level with Yekini.

We also struggled to find quality playmakers since Okocha and Oliseh retired. So many of our the strikers since Yekini have been starved off chances. For example, I would say we struggled to create chances in about half of the games I've seen Ighalo play for the SE.

Chief,
You've made a lot of good points, but I will address the first and one other.

If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age, they would have scrubbed the African curse out of him--like many African strikers, he was incredibly wasteful with chances. In the beginning, Samuel Eto'o was like that too, but he went there early and as time went on, he was taught to calm down before goal and shoot straight.

Yekini had an European striker's mentality in the way he worked so hard to get open. I'd say he was as good as some of the very best European pure strikers of today like Mario Mandzukic in that ability, but he threw away way too many chances. If Yekini was able to bury even a quarter of the chances he had, he would be solidly on ANY list of all time great forwards.

Aghahowa was better than Yekini at scoring the half-chance. I thought he was going to be our best striker of all time. I don't know what happened. Maybe age?


Well, this will have to be proven by the stats guys, but I SINCERELY doubt this. Enugu II, where you dey o?? If we look at goals per game for Nigerian strikers above a certain threshold, I'm pretty sure Yekini would be at the top.

If one then assumes that our chance creation with Yekini was generally no different than the era before/after him, then this ya observation no fit correct. Better still, we can look at goal conversion ratio (but I really doubt those stats were available back then). It wasn't until US 94, at 30 years old, where I would admit seeing Yekini miss chances he would have scored in the past. For anyone that watched him play for Nigeria between 88-94, nah bruh...that man was GOLD.

Again, Aghahowa is probably a contender for 'best of the rest'...but the top has only one occupant. Yekini. Aghahowa to me, wasn't an out and out center forward.

Yekini's heir apparent is likely Osimhen. He is the only one I've seen in 25 years that combines the striker's instinct with the ability....much the same way Yekini did.


Here we go....From Enugu II's website (https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/09/ ... stats.html):

Top Scorer (per game: Minimum 10 games)
1. Elkanah Onyeali 0.79
2. Thompson Usiyan 0.60
3. Rashidi Yekini 0.58
4. Sunday Oyarekhua 0.55
5. Segun Odegbami 0.50

Yekini was the last of a breed.
Yekini actually scored 38 goals in 57 appearances for Nigeria.
That's a goal ratio of 0.67.
In short, he scored two goals in every three games he played for the country.
In the course of his entire club career at home and abroad, he scored 164 goals in 253 appearances, which is goal ratio of 0.65
Now that is awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashidi_Yekini

Interestingly, wikipedia says Elkanah who played in the 50's and early 60's, scored 11 goals in 11 games for Nigeria, which is a formidable goal ratio of 1.

Stats on both players differ significantly from EII's.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
Thank you Damunk. My guess is that Ohsee’s entire sample size of data was USA 94 Nigeria vs Italy and Argentina :lol:

Please, make una no dey play with Yekini. Make una no dey insult am say Aghahowa reach him level. Make una stop am

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:34 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43128
Location: UK
deanotito wrote:
Thank you Damunk. My guess is that Ohsee’s entire sample size of data was USA 94 Nigeria vs Italy and Argentina :lol:

Please, make una no dey play with Yekini. Make una no dey insult am say Aghahowa reach him level. Make una stop am
That must be tongue-in-cheek.
Aghaweytin? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18326
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
ohsee wrote:
olu wrote:
If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age he would certainly have featured for a higher profile team in Europe. Another thing that makes his goal scoring record even more impressive is we played even fewer friendlies back then.

We have had quality strikers since Yekini. Aghahowa, Amokachi, Martins, Agali, Yakubu, Ikechuwku Uche, Ighalo, and now Osmihen come to mind. The likes of Aghahowa, Martins, and Yak were good strikers, however, they didn't play enough games for Nigeria to be placed on the same level with Yekini.

We also struggled to find quality playmakers since Okocha and Oliseh retired. So many of our the strikers since Yekini have been starved off chances. For example, I would say we struggled to create chances in about half of the games I've seen Ighalo play for the SE.

Chief,
You've made a lot of good points, but I will address the first and one other.

If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age, they would have scrubbed the African curse out of him--like many African strikers, he was incredibly wasteful with chances. In the beginning, Samuel Eto'o was like that too, but he went there early and as time went on, he was taught to calm down before goal and shoot straight.

Yekini had an European striker's mentality in the way he worked so hard to get open. I'd say he was as good as some of the very best European pure strikers of today like Mario Mandzukic in that ability, but he threw away way too many chances. If Yekini was able to bury even a quarter of the chances he had, he would be solidly on ANY list of all time great forwards.

Aghahowa was better than Yekini at scoring the half-chance. I thought he was going to be our best striker of all time. I don't know what happened. Maybe age?


Well, this will have to be proven by the stats guys, but I SINCERELY doubt this. Enugu II, where you dey o?? If we look at goals per game for Nigerian strikers above a certain threshold, I'm pretty sure Yekini would be at the top.

If one then assumes that our chance creation with Yekini was generally no different than the era before/after him, then this ya observation no fit correct. Better still, we can look at goal conversion ratio (but I really doubt those stats were available back then). It wasn't until US 94, at 30 years old, where I would admit seeing Yekini miss chances he would have scored in the past. For anyone that watched him play for Nigeria between 88-94, nah bruh...that man was GOLD.

Again, Aghahowa is probably a contender for 'best of the rest'...but the top has only one occupant. Yekini. Aghahowa to me, wasn't an out and out center forward.

Yekini's heir apparent is likely Osimhen. He is the only one I've seen in 25 years that combines the striker's instinct with the ability....much the same way Yekini did.


Here we go....From Enugu II's website (https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/09/ ... stats.html):

Top Scorer (per game: Minimum 10 games)
1. Elkanah Onyeali 0.79
2. Thompson Usiyan 0.60
3. Rashidi Yekini 0.58
4. Sunday Oyarekhua 0.55
5. Segun Odegbami 0.50

Yekini was the last of a breed.
Yekini actually scored 38 goals in 57 appearances for Nigeria.
That's a goal ratio of 0.67.
In short, he scored two goals in every three games he played for the country.
In the course of his entire club career at home and abroad, he scored 164 goals in 253 appearances, which is goal ratio of 0.65
Now that is awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashidi_Yekini

Interestingly, wikipedia says Elkanah who played in the 50's and early 60's, scored 11 goals in 11 games for Nigeria, which is a formidable goal ratio of 1.

Stats on both players differ significantly from EII's.


Damunk,

I would argue that the stats on Yekini from the Wikipedia site is not accurate. For both Yekini and Elkanah, the number of games they each played for Nigeria is understated. There are records of the games, Elkanah for instance played 14 and not 11 games and records of all the games are available and can be cross checked by anyone. Same with Yekini who played 65 and not 57 games for Nigeria. It is important that goals scored and games played are accurate. For instance, there are still people in the media claiming that Joseph Yobo has 101 appearances for Nigeria and even Yobo himself claimed as much. When I asked for the listing of these games, guess what? The list for Yobo included a Warri game against Lesotho for which he played no part because of an injury. He was not even listed on the substitutes bench.

However, on the argument here (I hope I understand it fully because to be honest I have not read the entire thread). Aghahowa does not come close to Yekini. For one, his strike rate is lower. Secondly, Aghahowa scored multiple goals in a game for Nigeria in just two games (Senegal '00, Scotland '02) and did not have a hat trick for the country. Yekini scored multiple times a game in 9 games including four in one game (B'Faso '91). IMHO, to compare against Yekini you have to be thinking Usiyan. As for Aghahowa, he should be compared to Yak, Obagoal, and Ike Uche. Although in a comparison of that second tier I would rank Aghaowa above those three. He certainly isn't on Yekini's level for sure.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:42 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43128
Location: UK
Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
ohsee wrote:
olu wrote:
If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age he would certainly have featured for a higher profile team in Europe. Another thing that makes his goal scoring record even more impressive is we played even fewer friendlies back then.

We have had quality strikers since Yekini. Aghahowa, Amokachi, Martins, Agali, Yakubu, Ikechuwku Uche, Ighalo, and now Osmihen come to mind. The likes of Aghahowa, Martins, and Yak were good strikers, however, they didn't play enough games for Nigeria to be placed on the same level with Yekini.

We also struggled to find quality playmakers since Okocha and Oliseh retired. So many of our the strikers since Yekini have been starved off chances. For example, I would say we struggled to create chances in about half of the games I've seen Ighalo play for the SE.

Chief,
You've made a lot of good points, but I will address the first and one other.

If Yekini had made it to Europe at a younger age, they would have scrubbed the African curse out of him--like many African strikers, he was incredibly wasteful with chances. In the beginning, Samuel Eto'o was like that too, but he went there early and as time went on, he was taught to calm down before goal and shoot straight.

Yekini had an European striker's mentality in the way he worked so hard to get open. I'd say he was as good as some of the very best European pure strikers of today like Mario Mandzukic in that ability, but he threw away way too many chances. If Yekini was able to bury even a quarter of the chances he had, he would be solidly on ANY list of all time great forwards.

Aghahowa was better than Yekini at scoring the half-chance. I thought he was going to be our best striker of all time. I don't know what happened. Maybe age?


Well, this will have to be proven by the stats guys, but I SINCERELY doubt this. Enugu II, where you dey o?? If we look at goals per game for Nigerian strikers above a certain threshold, I'm pretty sure Yekini would be at the top.

If one then assumes that our chance creation with Yekini was generally no different than the era before/after him, then this ya observation no fit correct. Better still, we can look at goal conversion ratio (but I really doubt those stats were available back then). It wasn't until US 94, at 30 years old, where I would admit seeing Yekini miss chances he would have scored in the past. For anyone that watched him play for Nigeria between 88-94, nah bruh...that man was GOLD.

Again, Aghahowa is probably a contender for 'best of the rest'...but the top has only one occupant. Yekini. Aghahowa to me, wasn't an out and out center forward.

Yekini's heir apparent is likely Osimhen. He is the only one I've seen in 25 years that combines the striker's instinct with the ability....much the same way Yekini did.


Here we go....From Enugu II's website (https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/09/ ... stats.html):

Top Scorer (per game: Minimum 10 games)
1. Elkanah Onyeali 0.79
2. Thompson Usiyan 0.60
3. Rashidi Yekini 0.58
4. Sunday Oyarekhua 0.55
5. Segun Odegbami 0.50

Yekini was the last of a breed.
Yekini actually scored 38 goals in 57 appearances for Nigeria.
That's a goal ratio of 0.67.
In short, he scored two goals in every three games he played for the country.
In the course of his entire club career at home and abroad, he scored 164 goals in 253 appearances, which is goal ratio of 0.65
Now that is awesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashidi_Yekini

Interestingly, wikipedia says Elkanah who played in the 50's and early 60's, scored 11 goals in 11 games for Nigeria, which is a formidable goal ratio of 1.

Stats on both players differ significantly from EII's.


Damunk,

I would argue that the stats on Yekini from the Wikipedia site is not accurate. For both Yekini and Elkanah, the number of games they each played for Nigeria is understated. There are records of the games, Elkanah for instance played 14 and not 11 games and records of all the games are available and can be cross checked by anyone. Same with Yekini who played 65 and not 57 games for Nigeria. It is important that goals scored and games played are accurate. For instance, there are still people in the media claiming that Joseph Yobo has 101 appearances for Nigeria and even Yobo himself claimed as much. When I asked for the listing of these games, guess what? The list for Yobo included a Warri game against Lesotho for which he played no part because of an injury. He was not even listed on the substitutes bench..
Prof, you are most likely correct.
But you are the perfect position to correct the wiki records on Yekini and other footballers. It is possible the shortfall in games and goals for Yekini is simply down to unverifiable information.
If you can help out on that you'd be doing him and all of us fans a great service. Regardless, Yekini's strike ratio for clubs is almost an exact match for his national team strike rate.
Amazing.


Quote:
However, on the argument here (I hope I understand it fully because to be honest I have not read the entire thread). Aghahowa does not come close to Yekini. For one, his strike rate is lower. Secondly, Aghahowa scored multiple goals in a game for Nigeria in just two games (Senegal '00, Scotland '02) and did not have a hat trick for the country. Yekini scored multiple times a game in 9 games including four in one game (B'Faso '91). IMHO, to compare against Yekini you have to be thinking Usiyan. As for Aghahowa, he should be compared to Yak, Obagoal, and Ike Uche. Although in a comparison of that second tier I would rank Aghaowa above those three. He certainly isn't on Yekini's level for sure
101% agree. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18326
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Damunk,

You are right about going to wiki and making the correction. I have never gone into wiki to do so previously but I should learn how to get that done. It is disturbing when you see records that are completely off, last year I had to go into RSSSF records to correct the record about the first year of the national league in Nigeria. They had 6 clubs being involved in it with about two clubs that weren't even part of the inaugural year. I had to go in and make those corrections. Hopefully, others can go in and do so likewise.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 3393
obagoal was as good as Yekini or maybe even better. one of the few nigerian strikers to bang at a BIG club. infact striker that rsbhasnt been SE problem at all in the last 20years. what we failed to replace are people like finidi, Okocha, kanu type of creators. hopefully, chukwueze, can help replace that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 6365
john12 wrote:
obagoal was as good as Yekini or maybe even better. one of the few nigerian strikers to bang at a BIG club. infact striker that rsbhasnt been SE problem at all in the last 20years. what we failed to replace are people like finidi, Okocha, kanu type of creators. hopefully, chukwueze, can help replace that


Oba Oba looked like a hot prospect for 2 years then Inter realized that he wasn't going to be as good as Adriano or Ibrahimovic and sent him to the Geordies. Similarly he never really clicked for the Super Eagles but you know who did? Yak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 3393
well those alleged years got him 49 goals at a big club inter milan punishing the likes of maldini. he became unserious and the rest is history. I just hope that the likes of osimehn can learn from it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:39 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 44326
Yekini was too good. You saw him play once and it was clear he was special, a cut above the rest.

I think what made him really special was that he was a supreme athlete with strength and speed. Folks can quibble with his accuracy. His game wasn’t as refined as a Van Basteb but he brought some wonderful attributes to the game. His ability to hold up the ball and his ability to stretch defenses with his running.

By the time Yekini played in the 94 WC, he was past his prime IMO. However if he’d played at the top
in his prime, he would have been as good as George Weah.

RIP Goals Father, one of Africa’s finest.

_________________
Quote:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 40047
Location: Land of the Terrapins
RIP to the legend!




_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Last edited by maceo4 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 6365
john12 wrote:
well those alleged years got him 49 goals at a big club inter milan punishing the likes of maldini. he became unserious and the rest is history. I just hope that the likes of osimehn can learn from it


Maldini was already 35 when he played Oba.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
john12 wrote:
obagoal was as good as Yekini or maybe even better. one of the few nigerian strikers to bang at a BIG club. infact striker that rsbhasnt been SE problem at all in the last 20years. what we failed to replace are people like finidi, Okocha, kanu type of creators. hopefully, chukwueze, can help replace that


Bros, this is sacrilege. Please stop.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 3393
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHueJjs31mY

I dont speak without facts. when was the last time a nigerian striker did this at a Big Club??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spC4NStn1Ps

evidence that talent isn't enough to succeed you can mess yourself by gallivanting around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13876
Location: USA
john12 wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHueJjs31mY

I dont speak without facts. when was the last time a nigerian striker did this at a Big Club??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spC4NStn1Ps

evidence that talent isn't enough to succeed you can mess yourself by gallivanting around.


Bro, as many on this thread have said, by the time players like Yekini really broke into Europe, they were old. They did not have the luxury of Obagoal - who was recruited as a youth, put through all the paces, shepherded to Inter's senior team, and given all the necessary tools to excel....and he ultimately flamed out there. Martins, like Yakubu, is a 10-15 goal a season striker. You need those, but they are not what legends are made out of. Besides that, he was short and diminutive, and when the stakes were high, pretty easy to take out of a game. Yekini was the real deal.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:43 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 43128
Location: UK
Bumped this thread becos of our boy Osimhen.

Image



We pray he grows to eclipse Yekini's so-far untouchable record.

Image



Just starting out on his career, there is already a huge burden on his neck.
But I believe he has both the skills and the mental strength to handle it.


Image



Good luck Victor.

Image

MAY THE FORCE OF YEKINI BE WITH YOU. 8-)

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 87853
Location: Earth
Talk about creating a thread, then derailing it.. :rotf: you just have to laugh. From yekini, this damunk wants to change the topic to vic...kai

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 6365
The Serie A player who is most similar to Yekini is Lukaku.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 18326
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
mastermind wrote:
Maybe we need to develop football in all parts of Nigeria and get everybody involved. The best striker or footballer period I've ever seen play live was in my high school in Ibadan. He's an Hausa boy, big strong and imposing. He's the fastest in the school also. He's got an eye for goal, I can ever forget Joga. His parents didn't want him to play football professionally after high school he went to University.

Strikers are no-nonsense people with a killer-mentality and crazy work ethic. Footballer that we are producing today are just like Mikel, water carriers.



Great point. Yekini, in my view, developed into a great striker quite late but he made a WHALE of it after he developed. He became, perhaps, Africa's most FEARED striker! The issue about whether he was World Class or not is besides the point. In my view, quite irrelevant. The point is that he was SPECIAL! No one before him (remove Usiyan) or after him has even been close and I do not care whether that someone played at a supposedly bigger club in Europe or not.

The FACT is that he remains arguably (Take off Usiyan) Nigeria's most dangerous goal scorer ever. That is ahead of Odion Ighalo (Manchester United and all), Nwankwo Kanu (Ajax/Arsenal), Obafemi Martins (Inter) or whoever else one may wish to mention. None of those even come close to Yekini's performance in a Nigerian shirt.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 32348
Location: The Kingdom
Love from Portugal.


_________________
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], onovo and 49 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group